Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Feeling a bit guilty that we aren't traditional

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:23 am
When our first was born we decided on a beautiful name putting a grandparent name as second name but calling the child by the first. We got a lot of comments from my side of the family. My husband's side doesn't really care about these things. Until today I have a guilty conscience. Now I had a baby last week and again my husband and I decided on a name and we have it also putting a grandparent name as the second name. My father call the kid by the second name because he can't get use to the first name (second name is a grandparent from my husband's side so he wouldn't be use to the name regardless) now the name we gave is a typical name. It's not some weird name that we pull out of the hat it's just a name that we liked and chose for our child. I'm feeling so guilty for not staying traditional and giving proper names from the grandparents. Does anyone else do this? I'm a typical Lakewood family and I actually grew up here so for me going not traditional is a bit uncomfortable but my husband isn't that type. He is opposite of tradition and so are my in laws so it's weird for me in a way.

zohar

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:49 am
amother wrote:
When our first was born we decided on a beautiful name putting a grandparent name as second name but calling the child by the first. We got a lot of comments from my side of the family. My husband's side doesn't really care about these things. Until today I have a guilty conscience. Now I had a baby last week and again my husband and I decided on a name and we have it also putting a grandparent name as the second name. My father call the kid by the second name because he can't get use to the first name (second name is a grandparent from my husband's side so he wouldn't be use to the name regardless) now the name we gave is a typical name. It's not some weird name that we pull out of the hat it's just a name that we liked and chose for our child. I'm feeling so guilty for not staying traditional and giving proper names from the grandparents. Does anyone else do this? I'm a typical Lakewood family and I actually grew up here so for me going not traditional is a bit uncomfortable but my husband isn't that type. He is opposite of tradition and so are my in laws so it's weird for me in a way.

Could it be that you like and would rather go the traditional route even if you may like the named you chose for your children? It sounds like you would have been fine calling your children after your grandparents and is your husband who likes the non traditional route. If that's the case, have a discussion with dh about your feelings and maybe you'll do differently with your next children.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:55 am
I personally would be fine with it. Another issues is that we share a lot of over lapping names for example: my husband's grandmother that is still alive has 2 names her first name is the name of my father's mother and her second name is that grandmother's mother's name. That's just one. And on my mother's side her mother is still alive and her mother's mother name is aweful but so happens to be my second name 😆 If I go up the tree then who am I pleasing? Grandparents that aren't alive to appreciate it? No!! I'd rather not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names