Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving to Toms River and Jackson is moving to LAKEWOOD!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:07 pm
sky wrote:
I think the other Toms River post is a good example of what OP means.

just to summarize -
"I'm moving to Toms River. I wear dark nail polish and dress like the 5 towns but I'm moving to Toms River not Lakewood so it isn't a problem. and we have a TV. I hear Toms River is so much more cooler and with it then Lakewood"

... oh but the schools aren't...they are just like Lakewood....I had no idea...

(sorry I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I just have a feeling this is what the OP meant)

Oh, ok.

OP, is this what you meant?

Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:52 pm
keym wrote:
Traveling back and forth to Brooklyn every time your kid needs a dr seems inconvenient at best impossible at worst depending on insurance restrictions.
As to why should someone living in TR or Jackson use a Lakewood pediatrician, that's exactly OPs point in my opinion. People think they are different cities and different communities when in reality it's all one large city concept overlapping across 5 different small townships. People in Lakewood use TR drs and vice versa. There is no "exclusive only for our township" anything. Before a person decides to move, they need to find out how everything works and not just hope it will all work out.

I never had a "havamina" anyone would travel to Brooklyn for a pediatrician.
I meant, why wouldn't anyone use a pediatrician NEARBY, like in TR or Jackson proper?

(I know the answer, I am just daring someone to say it because the whole Lakewood pediatrician worship really bugs me and I love calling it out whenever I see it - or imagine it :-) )

estibesty

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:56 pm
[quote="sky"]I think the other Toms River post is a good example of what OP means.

just to summarize -
"I'm moving to Toms River. I wear dark nail polish and dress like the 5 towns but I'm moving to Toms River not Lakewood so it isn't a problem. and we have a TV. I hear Toms River is so much more cooler and with it then Lakewood"

... oh but the schools aren't...they are just like Lakewood....I had no idea...

(sorry I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I just have a feeling this is what the OP meant)[/quote. So yes I was try to imply that point! And also I was try to make these women aware that Toms River has nothing for them it's all here in Lakewood a lot these out town women don't seem to realize this! They think there move to an new out town community . Thank u for clarifying

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:14 am
What makes a pediatrician acceptable to frum clients? Isn't health care the same for everyone? I can see wanting a gynecologist who knows the lifestyle, but why can't you just use the local pediatrician? Genuinely curious.

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
What makes a pediatrician acceptable to frum clients? Isn't health care the same for everyone? I can see wanting a gynecologist who knows the lifestyle, but why can't you just use the local pediatrician? Genuinely curious.

Alex, I will take Lakewood Drs for 50....

What is xenophobia

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:25 am
No not just you, sky that was well said.

UM HELLO BROOKLYN, I know the house is beautiful, and cheaper, but if you wouldnt' consider moving to Lakewood because you consider us Lakewooders judgemental, or you don't want the yeshivish school system, please be aware that is what you are getting when you buy in TR or Jackson

Oh yeah, but you also don't have bussing, an eruv, a shul, a Rav, or a mikveh.

I think the OP is just frustrated with hearing (again I might add) that someone bought in TR/JACKSON and is now in shock that they have to deal with Lakewood school acceptance, Lakewood traffic to drive their kids to the school they finally got into, and all the other dynamics that Lakewood families take as a given.

so yes, ROFL

SacN

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:43 am
Quote:
Keeping up with the joneses is a problem you'll have anywhere,development or not, if you don't develop confidence.

Maybe because I'm confident, but I don't have that problem. I grew up out of town, and lived in Queens, and now live in Israel.

I think Lakewood has a special kind of keeping up with the Joneses. You know what? I think it's the NY/NJ area as a whole.
Human nature is to feel/be impacted by peer pressure. But communities with lots of expendable income raise the standards and the pressure, and it has nothing to do with "developments." Why so many kollel families are participating in that, I don't understand for the life of me.

I've never lived in a place like that, and I'd never want to. Yuck.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 7:29 am
Hopefully the people in Toms River and Jackson will know how to use proper grammar

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 7:32 am
To the person who bought the "small" 3k sq ft house for 600k, houses that size in Jackson cost about the same.

And yes I did move to Jackson to get out of Lakewood. My kids are still in school there, my work, dr etc. But I have privacy and the staring only starts once I get into Lakewood proper.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 7:42 am
amother wrote:
Besides ytt for boys theres tashbar and kol torah that arent so yeshivish but overall they all wont take pple with tv's. Orchos chaim is also not so yeshivish.

These may not be considered yeshivish by typical Lakewood standards, but according to me, they are.

Last edited by allthingsblue on Wed, Feb 15 2017, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 8:34 am
I think a previous poster said it well. If you would never consider moving to Lakewood because it's not for you for whatever reason, Toms River and Jackson are the exact same thing just more property and hou7ses more spaced out. You need to strongly consider if that's enough of a reason to move essentially to Lakewood and to deal with everything Lakewood has to offer the good and the bad. That's all. No judgement.
That's all OP is saying. TR and Jackson are not their vown OOT community. They are extensions of Lakewood with the same schools, shuls, groceries, mikvas,. Ravs, taxes, drs, and politics.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 9:24 am
There are plenty of people, even in Lakewood, who prefer to use physicians, for themselves and their children, that are NOT flooded with the whole Lakewood population.

keym

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 9:47 am
Absolutely many people dont use the Lakewood "heimeshe" doctors. Do whatever works for you and your family. Some like the Jewish drs becauseof mutual culture or convenient hours or whatever. Some prefer others. People are getting caught up on the dr thing.
Recently I was in,Dr Shaniks office and I met a lovely chassidishe lady who had recently moved to tr right outside belz. She does not drive, and she was complaining how there are no stores closer than a mile walk. No drs anywhere nearby, and she had to wait on hold to get an appt for 30 minutes and then pay a fortune for car service just to see if her kid had strep.
She said to me that everyone they spoke to was gushing about how TR is a vibrant Jewish community, but no one told her that its basically an extension of Lakewood.
Thats it im saying.

summer0808

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 10:06 am
last poster was exactly on point. See Belz opened their own school and does have a Rav and will have a mikva. They got the L shuttle to drive them 3x a week for shopping but what if you need a dr, dentist or a potato peeler another time? and then you get the people that moved another 10 minute drive into TR, they'll be even more restricted.

Move with pleasure just know that all the things we krectz about in Lakewood like traffic, school acceptances, peer pressure to conform, dr hours etc are just as much in TR and Jackson because it is just an extension of Lakewood.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:02 pm
Dh and I spoke to a chassidish guy working in a local grocery. He also moved out to TR. He was saying the women are miserable. They don't drive. To get to to work costs a fortune in cabs with an extra stop to drop off their kids somewhere else. They can't walk to food or clothing shopping. And if they take a cab to one place they can't do all their shopping there. It was a huge culture shock they didn't know what they were getting themselves into. I think TR is getting really 2 crowds: Boro Park\Williamsburg and Flatbush.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:07 pm
Chayalle wrote:
There are plenty of people, even in Lakewood, who prefer to use physicians, for themselves and their children, that are NOT flooded with the whole Lakewood population.

Do you have any suggestions for a good pediatrician who is not flooded?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:38 pm
I personally use Shanik so if there's s/t big going on or strange problem he has unbelievable expertise/experience as well as excellent hospital connections.
however -there are immediate care facilities popping up all over town now that are open 5pm- midnight - if ur kid has strep/ear infection/flu - u can just use them (u don't have to change pcp)

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
I personally use Shanik so if there's s/t big going on or strange problem he has unbelievable expertise/experience as well as excellent hospital connections.
however -there are immediate care facilities popping up all over town now that are open 5pm- midnight - if ur kid has strep/ear infection/flu - u can just use them (u don't have to change pcp)

No, I'm looking for a good pediatrician who has a small practice and will see us every time. It seemed like chayelle knew someone like that so that's why I asked

sky

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:20 pm
someone posted recently information for someone on the Garden State parkway - you can try searching through old threads to see if you can find it.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:55 pm
Are u referring to Dr. Fenster? He is moving his practice to lakewood, if he didnt yet . Im not sure he's accepting new patients.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics