Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Failed :(

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:16 pm
I posted a few weeks back about how I wasn't going to nurse my baby but wanted to express colostrum and for the first couple of weeks before moving to formula full time. I really wanted to give my baby colostrum for the first few days.

Well, turns out it's not so simple to express colostrum. I did actually end up nursing him for the first 18 hours (about 3 feeds) at which point I was already in so much pain and had barely managed to express any decent amount of colostrum to even supplement with. Now he's almost 36 hours old and has been on formula only for the past 18 hours. I'm really upset that he's missing out but I can't bear the thought of nursing him (let's not go there, I'm not changing my mind) and not getting anywhere trying to express.

Please tell me I'm not doing him a disservice by him missing out on this colostrum. I will be pumping once my milk comes in but I know that this pre-milk is so good for them Sad

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:24 pm
I hear you.

Im in the same boat.

please dont make yourself meshugge!!!

my children didnt get premilk (or VERY little) and they turned out fine, happy boys b´´H.

PLEASE know that we as mothers CANNOT possibly do EVERYTHING for our bubbelles, as much as we love them, they will be unconditionally loved and cared for and hugged and kissed and they will iy``H be healthy b´´H also without colostrrum.

do what your breasts feel is the best for you.

ps: I have a close friend who nursed her second child despite the fact that she had major major pain and ist actually caused her relationship to her child to be a little difficult at first. she had problems bonding. I dont know if it is a consequence of what she describes as 'torture' while nursing.

anotherima

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
I posted a few weeks back about how I wasn't going to nurse my baby but wanted to express colostrum and for the first couple of weeks before moving to formula full time. I really wanted to give my baby colostrum for the first few days.

Well, turns out it's not so simple to express colostrum. I did actually end up nursing him for the first 18 hours (about 3 feeds) at which point I was already in so much pain and had barely managed to express any decent amount of colostrum to even supplement with. Now he's almost 36 hours old and has been on formula only for the past 18 hours. I'm really upset that he's missing out but I can't bear the thought of nursing him (let's not go there, I'm not changing my mind) and not getting anywhere trying to express.

Please tell me I'm not doing him a disservice by him missing out on this colostrum. I will be pumping once my milk comes in but I know that this pre-milk is so good for them Sad

Ask your pediatrician how much colostrum a baby needs. You are probably giving him enough'

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:31 pm
anotherima wrote:
Ask your pediatrician how much colostrum a baby needs. You are probably giving him enough'

I'm not giving him any. He only had for the first 3 feeds.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
I hear you.

Im in the same boat.

please dont make yourself meshugge!!!

my children didnt get premilk (or VERY little) and they turned out fine, happy boys b´´H.

PLEASE know that we as mothers CANNOT possibly do EVERYTHING for our bubbelles, as much as we love them, they will be unconditionally loved and cared for and hugged and kissed and they will iy``H be healthy b´´H also without colostrrum.

do what your breasts feel is the best for you.

ps: I have a close friend who nursed her second child despite the fact that she had major major pain and ist actually caused her relationship to her child to be a little difficult at first. she had problems bonding. I dont know if it is a consequence of what she describes as 'torture' while nursing.

Thank you. This is the type of thing I need to hear Smile

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:34 pm
It's. Only around for 24-48 hours. There's not so much there anyway. Don't worry about it. Pump, supplement and most importantly, enjoy your baby!
Don't be concerned about lack of milk for pumping, it comes in on the third day.

Mazal Tov!

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:07 pm
It only takes a few teaspoons of colostrum to be beneficial!

My daughter had to get formula because she couldn't nurse due to some medical issues. I tried pumping for her and giving her what I could, but it wasn't much. There are many reasons why a baby can't get the colostrum you have, and it doesn't matter whose fault it is. In this case, it was my baby's 'fault', but I felt just as bad about it. But the formula helped her, and I continued pumping, and she turned out fine.

penguin

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:20 pm
If you find pumping makes you sore, try using the most gentle setting! Many people have it on too strong.

Also you might (just saying might) try nursing with a nipple shield, some find it less painful.

But certainly don't make yourself nuts.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:35 pm
I do nurse, but I don't give much colostrum. I dont produce that much colostrum, I dunno why, and I formula feed in the hospital so I can rest. When my milk comes in, I'm able to nurse properly. Don't worry about the colostrum.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:41 pm
gold21 wrote:
I do nurse, but I don't give much colostrum. I dont produce that much colostrum, I dunno why, and I formula feed in the hospital so I can rest. When my milk comes in, I'm able to nurse properly. Don't worry about the colostrum.

Does this work? Does your milk come in nicely even if you don't nurse the first few days and baby adjusts to the shift?

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:
Does this work? Does your milk come in nicely even if you don't nurse the first few days and baby adjusts to the shift?

Yes. It works for me. I do put my baby on me a lot in the first couple days, but not much comes out. I then follow every feeding up with a bottle... until my milk comes in and I can nurse regularly. It's worked so far B"H...

precious

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:23 pm
Mazal tov:)

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:54 pm
Don't make yourself crazy. My first had nothing but IV fluids for his first week of life, and tiny feeds after. I pumped for 3 months, tapering down to nothing at 5. He did fine on formula after that.
BH he's perfect today and we love him so much Smile

Fed is best.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:55 pm
And, Mazel tov!!

rachel6543

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:58 pm
Mazal Tov on the birth of your baby! You sound like a great mom. Hey, you got three nursings in so far, that's absolutely wonderful!!! And don't worry about baby not getting any more colostrum, baby already got some from you. The most important thing is that mommy and baby are healthy. And by supplementing with formula right now you are making sure your baby is healthy. Sending you a hug!!!

mammale

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:08 pm
Firstly Mazel tov! The most important thing your baby needs is your ( happy & loving) attention. Colostrum has great healty benefits but if it comes at the risk of your sanity don't feel guilty. skip it.
colostrum is the premilk that is there for the first couple days till your milk comes in. There is very little of it because baby has a tiny stomach and can't handle more than a couple teaspoons. I'm not surprised that you aren't getting much when pumping - there is barely anything there to begin with! So whatever you are giving your baby is amazing. And good for you for trying!
- milk is made on a supply and demand basis. So the reason to pump the first few days is NOT to get milk ( you won't) its to stimulate your breasts to make milk on the third, (fourth or whenever it comes in) day. So again - completely normal that you aren't getting much when pumping YET. Just beware that if you wait until your milk comes in without any nursing or pumping - it can negatively affect your supply.
- this is probably the most important point in my post NURSING IS NOT MEANT TO BE PAINFUL. If it is something is wrong either on your end, or your baby's and there are lactation consultants on staff at most hospitals to help out with that. Most cases can be helped to feel better. So if you feel up to it - call a lactation consultant.
- my personal experience was that pumping is excruciatingly painful. The pump I used in the hospital was torturous. When I got home I borrowed a much better pump, but it was still uncomfortable and super annoying. Once I was able to nurse my baby without pain - it was actually enjoyable! I never picked up a pump since. It was terrible!

Anyway, to an amazing and dedicated mother. Hatzlacha, and FEEL GOOD! YOU and how YOU feel are the most important now.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 6:55 am
Thank you everyone. You know just what to say to make a postpartum emotional mother feel better!

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 7:11 am
OP, you are doing a great job. It sounds like you really want the best for your child and that's the most important thing.

First of all, with colostrum every bit counts, so giving those three feedings is amazing, every drop is "liquid gold".

However, even if you weren't able to give that and weren't able to continue to nurse-- the most important thing is for mom to be okay. That is the biggest gift you can give to your baby now.

Second, you are right around the time where your hormones are at the most fluctuation- and it can be challenging to be almost leaving the hospital, milk soon coming in... I myself felt most vulnerable at around that time after each birth and would have a couple of emotional bursts. So please take it easy, be easier on yourself both physically and emotionally.

Mom- You are doing a great job!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics