Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you know an 'un'vaccinated child with autism?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
"Better safe than sorry"

Are we that confident that the hpv vaccine is safe? It's a fairly new vaccine. How can we know for sure? Not everybody feels that the vaccine is safer than the risk without it especially for those that are not yet s-xually active.

Hpv vaccines aren't so new anymore. Here's background info on them.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesaf......html

The whole point is that they are given before s-xual activity commences to provide the best protection. Princess Leah summarized many ways a frum kid could get hpv without being "at risk."

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:17 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
But we're also not immune to rebellious phases. Kids experiment. They try things we would never in a million years think that they were experimenting with or trying.

I wish I could say that all of my kids are going to enter marriage as virgins. Never experiment with drugs. Never eat treif. But I can't. I don't know. None of us do.

Read here. Read how many women admit having experimented before marriage.

Are people really willing to gamble their kids' lives that its not going to happen to them?

I had a conversation with my teen daughter why I was refusing that vaccine (which by the way my friends child was in the hospital from). My teen has the knowledge abut the shot and can do what she wants with the information. However I see no need to give a shot that has side effects to prevent something that most likely won't happen. As my doctor said about the flu shot you don't take something that will definitely harm you to prevent something that might harm you.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:21 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

The whole point is that they are given before s-xual activity commences to provide the best protection. Princess Leah summarized many ways a frum kid could get hpv without being "at risk."

There were no longitudinal studies done. We don't know that in 15 years or more, we might find that more people who had the hpv vaccine suffer side effects from it. The studies are still lacking.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:26 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
All I'll say is that they don't stay children for long. Parents really don't know everything that their teens and young aduld children are up to, and HPV is so easy to contract. Frum kids don't get relations Ed and they don't know about all this. On the cheating threads, many of these women don't know how easily their dhs could pass hpv to them. I'm sure their parents never would have thought they were at risk for hpv. I'm short, we don't know what life will bring so better safe then sorry.

WADR, I live in a different culture where I am pretty sure I can tell if my kids were to start making different lifestyle choices. But that being said, it's my opinion that HPV is only one STD to worry about in that lifestyle, and if we're concerned about that, we should also be discussing what other things they are at risk of and how to avoid those STDs, which can't be stopped by a vaccination alone. Whether to give the vaccination in addition is useful is a side point, a parental decision. Not something that needs to be mandated by schools.

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
There were no longitudinal studies done. We don't know that in 15 years or more, we might find that more people who had the hpv vaccine suffer from infertility, cancer, Alzheimer's etc. The studies are lacking. That simple page does not convince me that the hpv vaccine is safe. Not everybody is willing to use a questionable product just because it's available.

Not a single more person will suffer more than they are destined to suffer. Nisyanos come from hashem and we don't understand why but we trust and believe there is a cheshbon and that it is all good.
The ppl who will suffer in 15 yrs from now, will suffer regardless if they did or didn't get vaxxed.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:34 pm
FWIW, my only argument in here is wheiher the government should have the right that someone suggested to take away kids to forcibly vaccinate them against their parents' will. It's a slippery slope of what is best for public health and necessary to go against personal decisions, since not all vaccinations are created for the same reason or protective service. I then brought in a few examples, including the HPV vaccine, to show that in a school setting which in a smaller scale is what mandated vaccination looks like, that is beyond the purview of what is needed to protect the student population at large in my opinion across the board, with no exceptions. There is no end in sight once you give free reign to governing bodis to decide what is mandated in the school setting, and now from this one person's proposal even outside the school setting (e.g. even those who chose to homeschool would have their kids taken away to be vaccinated for who knows whether it is applicable or not...that ebola vaccine that is being tested, why not add that into the schedule and mandate it in America, because, hey, you never know...)

I am all for personal/parental decision. Vaccinate. Don't vaccinate. Vaccinate this, don't vaccinate that. Vaccinate this for this kid and not for that kid. I really don't mind because I believe that it's the parent's responsibility to work with their medical practitioners to find the best course of medical care for each individual child.

Not sure why that's so controversial!

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:38 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
FWIW, my only argument in here is wheiher the government should have the right that someone suggested to take away kids to forcibly vaccinate them against their parents' will. It's a slippery slope of what is best for public health and necessary to go against personal decisions, since not all vaccinations are created for the same reason or protective service. I then brought in a few examples, including the HPV vaccine, to show that in a school setting which in a smaller scale is what mandated vaccination looks like, that is beyond the purview of what is needed to protect the student population at large in my opinion across the board, with no exceptions. There is no end in sight once you give free reign to governing bodis to decide what is mandated in the school setting, and now from this one person's proposal even outside the school setting (e.g. even those who chose to homeschool would have their kids taken away to be vaccinated for who knows whether it is applicable or not...that ebola vaccine that is being tested, why not add that into the schedule and mandate it in America, because, hey, you never know...)

I am all for personal/parental decision. Vaccinate. Don't vaccinate. Vaccinate this, don't vaccinate that. Vaccinate this for this kid and not for that kid. I really don't mind because I believe that it's the parent's responsibility to work with their medical practitioners to find the best course of medical care for each individual child.

Not sure why that's so controversial!

It's not as controversial. There's a relligious exempt form and a medical exempt form for those who for wtvr reason don't want or can't vax.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:12 pm
yksraya wrote:
It's not as controversial. There's a relligious exempt form and a medical exempt form for those who for wtvr reason don't want or can't vax.

Yes it is controversial.

The religious exemption only allows you to opt out of ALL vaccinations on religious grounds. I cannot sign such a paper, because my religion does not forbid vaccines, but tells me to make the best health decisions for myself and my child possible, which may or may not include some/all vaccinations.

As for the medical exemption, those are also quite hard to come by. Doctors who give too many can get in trouble, so they generally save them for cases of proven vaccine injury or children too ill to receive them.

As for a parent who simply feels that the HPV vaccine (for example) is not in her child's best interest, she doesn't get too many options.

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
Yes it is controversial.

The religious exemption only allows you to opt out of ALL vaccinations on religious grounds. I cannot sign such a paper, because my religion does not forbid vaccines, but tells me to make the best health decisions for myself and my child possible, which may or may not include some/all vaccinations.

As for the medical exemption, those are also quite hard to come by. Doctors who give too many can get in trouble, so they generally save them for cases of proven vaccine injury or children too ill to receive them.

As for a parent who simply feels that the HPV vaccine (for example) is not in her child's best interest, she doesn't get too many options.

You can partly immunize and still have a religious exempt form if you refuse the other vaccines. Have done that, as long as your not updated on all vaccines, you can use the form.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 3:58 pm
It depends what state you are in. Some states have no religious exemptions, some states don't require private schools to accept religious exemptions. Some states have very strict criteria as to what constitutes a medical exemption and it's extremely hard to get one. I've tried getting a medical exemption in a non-strict state but despite prior history of negative reactions to other vaccines, I was not able to get one for a vaccine not yet tried. I had to give it, and we had a very negative outcome.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:52 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It depends what state you are in. Some states have no religious exemptions, some states don't require private schools to accept religious exemptions. Some states have very strict criteria as to what constitutes a medical exemption and it's extremely hard to get one. I've tried getting a medical exemption in a non-strict state but despite prior history of negative reactions to other vaccines, I was not able to get one for a vaccine not yet tried. I had to give it, and we had a very negative outcome.

Who wouldn't give you the exemption? Vaccinations are not legally mandated, so not the government. Do you mean that the school wouldn't accept a medical exemption? Or that your doctor wouldn't sign one?

Maybe

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 5:12 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I once managed to get a medical exemption, however in most cases even a child who went into cardiac arrest, will have a hard time getting one

Maybe

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 5:15 pm
amother wrote:
Yes it is controversial.

There are many rabonim who believe vaccines are forbidden, pm me for info

BTW HPV vaccination rates in Japan have plummeted, from around 70% to only 1% http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/866405

Maybe

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 5:28 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

How does an intelligent person like you still trust the CDC?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 10:12 pm
Maybe wrote:
There are many rabonim who believe vaccines are forbidden, pm me for info

I am aware that there are Rabonim that hold that vaccines are asur. But what they are basing it on is a medical opinion that they cause more damage than they prevent. I.e. they are forbidding vaccines based on Venishmartem Me'od.

I am not ready to lie and go Rav-hunting to find someone to sign a statement that I don't believe is true.

Since the medical science is debatable, I could not in good conscience write that my religion forbids vaccination. I also do not agree with such a thing because I don't believe that vaccination is necessarily a loser in the risk/benefit analysis for many/most individuals.

If there was a way to write that my religion forbids me to take vaccinations that I, based on medical science and preferably with the agreement of a trusted doctor, believe to be deleterious to my child's health, that would be true. Unfortunately, the exemption doesn't work that way.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 10:24 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Who wouldn't give you the exemption? Vaccinations are not legally mandated, so not the government. Do you mean that the school wouldn't accept a medical exemption? Or that your doctor wouldn't sign one?

The school would not accept a medical exemption my doctor would give for that reason.

My story is far from the only one. I know many, many people who have struggled to get medical exemptions for bona fide reasons.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:30 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The school would not accept a medical exemption my doctor would give for that reason.

My story is far from the only one. I know many, many people who have struggled to get medical exemptions for bona fide reasons.

Excuse my language, but your school sux. There's a reason medical exemptions exist. And that's because some people have vaccine reactions, and should not be vaccinated. Your child is clearly one of them.

I hope that s/he recovered well from the reaction, and that you don't have any further issues. With vaccines or schools.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:35 pm
We moved so no longer have this issue BA"H and I hope that continues, but that is the rule in the whole state I used to live in -- no religious exemptions for private schools mandated. School determined that medical exemptions have to be approved by their medical board (not constituted of pediatricians, and especially not my child's). I'm far from the only case like this. I wish it was isolated to just me, but I have heard from many, many, many parents who could not get exemptions in valid cases. It's wishful thinking

My child has not recovered, for the record. We now have a lifelong auto-immune disorder directly caused from the vaccine that any doctor (all mainstream) immediately acknowledge was triggered from the vaccine. The only deniers that it could be from the vaccine are people online if I ever share my story who claim it couldn't happen, it's so rare. It really, really isn't unfortunately Sad

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:35 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....ns=em
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics