Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How much do you spend on average for children's supper?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:19 pm
We are on a budget, and we also are strong believers in healthy eating.

Just curious how much on average people spend on supper (per child). Obviously it differs from supper to supper, with some being more expensive and some cheaper.

For example, we will have brown rice casserole, which is a cheaper supper, but then fleishig suppers- chicken, meatballs, or salmon will obviously be more $.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:33 pm
I'm in israel--so it's different here.

But I have two kids, and aim to keep weekday lunches (their main meal, which the adults then eat for supper) for the whole family in the 25 sheckel range, total.

Lots of bean soups and egg dishes, rice and bean dishes...etc. No meat during the week unless its leftover from shabbos.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:01 pm
Do you have recipes for some of those things you mentioned? Always looking for healthy recipes that are also economic! thanks Smile

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:07 pm
I wouldnt know because I dont cook for them seperatly than for the adults. I also cook healthy. Sometimes though when I make supper they opt rather for a grill cheese sandwich (on wholegrain bread with motzarella cheese - thats all I have in the house) or a bowl of oatmeal and milk or even cerial and milk (again, I only have wholesome unsugared during the week and low fat - blue milk available)

Also it depends how much your children eat. Mine dont eat all that much in general. Some children just need more food than others. I also try to have homemade fresh soups around daily as that fills them up in a healthy (and unexpensive) way also.
I keep the soup pareve as if im making faishig and a child decides they want milchigs they can also have soup and vice versa.
By the way I dont 'cater' to the child that wants something other than what I have made that day. They have to help themselvs.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:16 pm
Diced potatos and sweet potatos, fried with a little oil in the frying pan until cooked. Salt, pepper, paprika, scramble in eggs. Sometimes I'll add mushrooms too, if I have. Serve with salad.

Majadera--white rice made in a pot with hawayej (or you can use tumeric, paprika, garlic, pepper, salt) and some oil. Green lentils made in a pot with same spices, maybe also some parsley. Fry onions, if you like. I serve this with plain yogurt as a sauce, or sour cream.

Minestrone soup: dry beans (precooked),onion, zuchini, bag of frozen peas and carrots, dill, parsley, diced tomatos, tomato sauce, black pepper. Spinach if you have. Add pasta or rice when it's in the bowl to make it hearty but dont add to the pot or it will get mushy and absorb all the flavor. I usually made a huge stockpot and freeze half.

Potato lentil soup: onion, zuchini (optional), white potato, sweet potato, red lentils, green lentils, hawayej, pareve msg free chicken soup mix. My father in law adds cilantro--I dont prefer it that way. I usually made a huge stockpot and freeze half.

Burritos: precooked dry red beans (or white ones), mashed with a fork, with taco spices (paprika, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano), served with tortillas, sour cream, lettuce and tomato.

Egg drop soup: basic vegetable broth (zuchini, carrot, onion, whatever, mushrooms if I have). Cook until brothy and flavorful. Beat eggs and pour slowly in--can add cornstarch to thicken, I prefer not. Stir in the eggs, and some soy sauce to taste. Serve with white rice.

Shakshuka: tomatos, onions, tomato paste, spices (celantro, parsley if we have), garlic, saute, poach eggs into it until cooked. Serve with bread.

Egg and cheese sandwiches.

I almost always have one of these in the fridge...

ectomorph

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:34 pm
$50 pp per week. So I guess $5-7.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 5:23 pm
I make supper for the whole family. Husband, age 10, age 8, age 1.5 and myself. My two big ones are big eaters. Probably spend $12-$30 on a supper . Depends what I'm making.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 5:48 pm
I make one dinner for everyone DH, myself a 6 and 2 year old boy. Most nights dinner is around $10 for all of us but once or twice a week I might make meat, Fish or something super cheesy or try a new random ingredient and then it might be closer to $15. I consider 20-25 a splurge.

Some meals we like: Pasta, home made pizza, meat burgers or bean burgers, meat, dairy or fish tacos, Korean Beef, Spiced ground meat (Silver Platter 2), Beef and Cabbage stir fry, Chicken on the bone is pretty much shabbos only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics