Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Day Without Immigrants- In Your Community?
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

amother
Red

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 11:54 pm
I live in Brooklyn and wondering what people know about what's going to happen here tomorrow. (You can Google "Day Without Immigrants"- basically strike, walk-out of immigrants)

Have people in local in businesses, schools etc been prepped?
Do you think this is going to be totally widespread?
If you are a small business owner, are you going to be affected?

What do you know about this within the frum community?

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:00 am
My dh's employees plan on showing up. (He's not in Brooklyn, but he's in the tristate area.)

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:02 am
Here in the hinterlands it will have little impact, it's still raining and the farmers have nothing to get picked. In the metro areas it may be different. Immigrant owned businesses or those owned by 1st generation Americans locally will probably close just like they did for the last one. The first one was in the summer IRRC and locally people did not pick or sort that day.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:10 am
this is the first I am hearing about this. I have 3 immigrant employees (4 if you count my cleaning lady). I doubt any of them wont show. they all need the money for living expenses and to send back to the family in der heim.

I'm in lkwd btw.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:11 am
The fact that they do not differentiate between immigrants and illegal aliens is offensive. Quite frankly, I am not sure what the goal is as I believe that we can survive just fine without them. They would be creating jobs for American citizens, eliminate esl programs in schools and other agencies that provide it, get rid of law agencies who assist them and use the money for Ameirican citizens. Housing will become available and more affordable and there will be more spots open in colleges for our own citizens as well. I also hope that they will not accept any government benefits and give back whatever they got until now which will save us millions of dollars. If this is what you are trying to accomplish then I'll support it and hope you have a nice journey back to your own country where your govt gives you whatever you want without question.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:18 am
amother wrote:
The fact that they do not differentiate between immigrants and illegal aliens is offensive. Quite frankly, I am not sure what the goal is as I believe that we can survive just fine without them. They would be creating jobs for American citizens, eliminate esl programs in schools and other agencies that provide it, get rid of law agencies who assist them and use the money for Ameirican citizens. Housing will become available and more affordable and there will be more spots open in colleges for our own citizens as well. I also hope that they will not accept any government benefits and give back whatever they got until now which will save us millions of dollars. If this is what you are trying to accomplish then I'll support it and hope you have a nice journey back to your own country where your govt gives you whatever you want without question.

Just wanted to say that I think this attitude is horrible. Not so long ago OUR ANCESTORS were the immigrants. Our country is made up of immagrants. Most ppl are good hardworking ppl just like u and I. They would becomes citizens in a heartbeat if our country was normal and had ano easier way to become a citizen.
Yes the bad ppl I would love if they were sent back but honestly what makes u more entitled to a better life that them? Nothing. Except you happen to have been born here (or have citizenship some other way)
I feel it's sad they have to do this. I think they should be treated as equal.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:26 am
amother wrote:

I think the economy would collapse without immigrants. There is no work ethic left in America. I have tried hiring both immigrants and non-immigrants. Blacks and Whites, Young and old.
Immigrants Rock!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
Just wanted to say that I think this attitude is horrible. Not so long ago OUR ANCESTORS were the immigrants. Our country is made up of immagrants. Most ppl are good hardworking ppl just like u and I. They would becomes citizens in a heartbeat if our country was normal and had ano easier way to become a citizen.
Yes the bad ppl I would love if they were sent back but honestly what makes u more entitled to a better life that them? Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Yes, my parents are immigrants in that they did it legally and did not break any laws coming here. They waited until they were granted permission to come into this country legally. That is why I'm offended by this "event" that fails to differentiate immigrants from illegal aliens.
Why are illegal aliens entitled to anything if they broke the laws of this country? Why do they feel like they have a right to not be penalized for breaking the laws of the very country they supposedly want to be citizens of? What will prevent them from breaking other laws if they don't get penalized for breaking these laws? Why are they entitled to get citizenship in a country they have no respect for enough to follow the laws in the first place? How would you feel if you would have followed all the laws only to find out that other people get rewarded for breaking the laws that you followed like any other good citizen? What kind of message are you sending to your kids if you support people who broke the laws and rewarded them for it instead of allowing them to suffer the consequences of their actions?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:37 am
amother wrote:
I think the economy would collapse without immigrants. There is no work ethic left in America. I have tried hiring both immigrants and non-immigrants. Blacks and Whites, Young and old.
Immigrants Rock!

Immigrants are Black and White, young and old lol. I hope you mean immigrants though and not illegal aliens otherwise you are aiding and abetting them. If you do hire illegal aliens then how do you pay them?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
Immigrants are Black and White, young and old lol. I hope you mean immigrants though and not illegal aliens otherwise you are aiding and abetting them. If you do hire illegal aliens then how do you pay them?

as far as I know they have their work papers and ss # in order.
I hire through a 3rd party agency. Fees are higher but my liability is much lower should they in fact be illegal.
I am not looking for any extra headaches.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:51 am
I live in Williamsburg , Brooklyn. My mexican cleaning lady, {illegal} informed me that she isn't coming tomorrow. She didn't say why.... I have an urge to tell her to stay home Friday too....
what's your opinion?

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:53 am
I think a day without *illegal* immigrants would be great.

The attempts to conflate legal and illegal immigrants is not very clever. I think most people see through this cynical ploy.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:11 am
I'm confused. LEGAL immigrants have no problem...why strike. All illegal immigrants get hospital care and full schooling for their children. Why are they complaining?

I think all amigos should be happy to be in this country...back home they are sooo poor!

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:11 am
amother wrote:
Immigrants Rock!

Jews or rather Orthodox Jews don't open up their businesses or schools for at least 25 hours every week, does the economy collapse because of it? Or are Jews not as significant or hard working as illegal aliens?

marina

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:33 am
DrMom wrote:
I think a day without *illegal* immigrants would be great.

The attempts to conflate legal and illegal immigrants is not very clever. I think most people see through this cynical ploy.

Maybe you are unaware of the anti-immigrant sentiment going on in some parts of the country. Many people don't actually care if you're here legally or not. If you speak with an accent or look different, that's what upsets them.

marina

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:33 am
amother wrote:
I live in Williamsburg , Brooklyn. My mexican cleaning lady, {illegal} informed me that she isn't coming tomorrow. She didn't say why.... I have an urge to tell her to stay home Friday too....
what's your opinion?

My opinion? Clean your own ****. Stop paying others to do it for you. Thanks for asking for my opinion.

marina

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:42 am
amother wrote:
Yes, my parents are immigrants in that they did it legally and did not break any laws coming here. They waited until they were granted permission to come into this country legally. That is why I'm offended by this "event" that fails to differentiate immigrants from illegal aliens.
Why are illegal aliens entitled to anything if they broke the laws of this country? Why do they feel like they have a right to not be penalized for breaking the laws of the very country they supposedly want to be citizens of? What will prevent them from breaking other laws if they don't get penalized for breaking these laws? Why are they entitled to get citizenship in a country they have no respect for enough to follow the laws in the first place? How would you feel if you would have followed all the laws only to find out that other people get rewarded for breaking the laws that you followed like any other good citizen? What kind of message are you sending to your kids if you support people who broke the laws and rewarded them for it instead of allowing them to suffer the consequences of their actions?

I came here legally at the age of 5. And every time I look around I say, there but for the grace of god go I. Part of that is because I read up on immigration and I realized how incredibly lucky my parents were and how it is complete chance that I could have been born to a different family and been living in some siberian hell hole right now.

Sometimes I read posts like yours and I imagine that you think immigration is like a long check out line at the grocery store. Just stand in line and you'll get your turn, don't cut ahead because that annoys everyone else.

That's not immigration. There is no line. You won't get a chance. You maybe don't have the money to submit the application and you won't have it even if you save your entire salary over a year's time. And even if you do, it doesn't matter because there's a quota and a waiting list and they're not going to accept you even if you have a relative living here who is ready to sponsor you. I really recommend you learn more about the realities of immigration

Sadie

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:49 am
amother wrote:
I'm confused. LEGAL immigrants have no problem...why strike. All illegal immigrants get hospital care and full schooling for their children. Why are they complaining?

I think all amigos should be happy to be in this country...back home they are sooo poor!

The EO affected people with visas and green cards, aka LEGAL immigrants. So legal immigrants sometimes do have big problems. Also visas, green cards, and even citizenship don't change your skin color or your foreign accent. People can still be discriminated against and harassed based on those.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:16 am
Most immigrants coming to America are refugees of war, or coming from extreme poverty and you want to basically throw them back into hell because you think they are taking away your job opportunity? U wanna be a cleaning lady? Cause I'll hire u Wink

crbc

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:24 am
I came to US as a political refugee in 1989 from USSR. I am going to work tomorrow. My colleague immigrated here legally from a different part of the world - she is coming to work tomorrow as well. No time for all the current political nonsense. I agree with imamother above - I fail to see what legal immigrants are trying to accomplished with this action.
OTOH my life will not be effected - no cleaning lady and I cannot think of anyone else.

Last edited by crbc on Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics