Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Day Without Immigrants- In Your Community?
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:28 am
amother wrote:
Most immigrants coming to America are refugees of war, or coming from extreme poverty and you want to basically throw them back into hell because you think they are taking away your job opportunity? U wanna be a cleaning lady? Cause I'll hire u Wink

Been there, done that. If you go to Neve you will find that most girls clean houses to earn money. There is nothing to be ashamed of by doing that.
To the lady in WB, I am sure there are girls in your community that would like to earn some pocket money by cleaning houses. If you make that a cool thing then the girls would have no problem with it and won't feel inferior for doing the very thing they are trained to do best.
But I'd rather live in poverty or clean houses than break the laws and expect to be rewarded for it. And many, many American citizens are living in poverty and in dangerous neighborhoods where they fear for their lives on a daily basis. How would it help anyone if you add more illegal aliens with no respect for American laws in those neighborhoods?

And since when are doctors, Ph.D. students, teachers, lawyers, etc "cleaning ladies"?

Sadie

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:47 am
amother wrote:
Been there, done that. If you go to Neve you will find that most girls clean houses to earn money. There is nothing to be ashamed of by doing that.
To the lady in WB, I am sure there are girls in your community that would like to earn some pocket money by cleaning houses. If you make that a cool thing then the girls would have no problem with it and won't feel inferior for doing the very thing they are trained to do best.
But I'd rather live in poverty or clean houses than break the laws and expect to be rewarded for it. And many, many American citizens are living in poverty and in dangerous neighborhoods where they fear for their lives on a daily basis. How would it help anyone if you add more illegal aliens with no respect for American laws in those neighborhoods?

And since when are doctors, Ph.D. students, teachers, lawyers, etc "cleaning ladies"?

Neve is in Israel. The attitude toward manual labor here is different than it is in America (although manual laborers are often exploited here as well) Enjoy trying to convince Jewish women and girls to become cleaning ladies in cultures where the word for cleaning lady is "g0yta".

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:52 am
Sadie wrote:
Neve is in Israel. The attitude toward manual labor here is different than it is in America (although manual laborers are often exploited here as well) Enjoy trying to convince Jewish women and girls to become cleaning ladies in cultures where the word for cleaning lady is "g0yta".

Neve may be in Israel but the girls are mostly from America and are not used to doing these kinds of domestic work but do it gladly to make money. If you start this in America and make it cool to clean houses then the girls will gladly do it to earn money as well.

Sadie

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:15 am
amother wrote:
Neve may be in Israel but the girls are mostly from America and are not used to doing these kinds of domestic work but do it gladly to make money. If you start this in America and make it cool to clean houses then the girls will gladly do it to earn money as well.

Yes they're from America but they're also joining a new culture where cleaning is considered an acceptable job, and where it's one of the higher paid low-skill jobs. In Jerusalem, cleaners get paid about double minimum wage. That's not the case in Williamsburg. Also many Neve girls are BT and are already overhauling their normal lifestyles, and willing to make sacrifices to learn in Israel. I don't think it's comparable to teen girls in communities where cleaning work is seen as degrading and cleaning ladies are talked about like they're possessions.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:43 am
marina wrote:
I came here legally at the age of 5. And every time I look around I say, there but for the grace of god go I. Part of that is because I read up on immigration and I realized how incredibly lucky my parents were and how it is complete chance that I could have been born to a different family and been living in some siberian hell hole right now.

Sometimes I read posts like yours and I imagine that you think immigration is like a long check out line at the grocery store. Just stand in line and you'll get your turn, don't cut ahead because that annoys everyone else.

That's not immigration. There is no line. You won't get a chance. You maybe don't have the money to submit the application and you won't have it even if you save your entire salary over a year's time. And even if you do, it doesn't matter because there's a quota and a waiting list and they're not going to accept you even if you have a relative living here who is ready to sponsor you. I really recommend you learn more about the realities of immigration

I never really understood this argument. There are all sorts of awful situations in life that are "luck of the draw". Some people are born into super rich families and some people are born homeless. Does that make the homeless person entitled to break into the rich one's house and take some of his things to make it "fair"?

It is true that those who are lucky enough to have U.S. citizenship haven't done anything to "earn" it more than someone who can't get that citizenship due to factors that aren't in their control (like you mention finances, quotas, arbitrary rules, etc.) But if everyone just took whatever they wanted it would be the breakdown of all law and order in society.

And as much as there are so many heartbreaking stories about people desperate to come to the U.S., the U.S. can't accept all of the people in the world who are living in bad conditions. So yes, they need to have rules and systems as to how many people come in, and who. And those rules will inevitably leave many people who desperately want/need to come stuck out. Which is terrible for them. Unfortunately millions of people throughout the world live in some sort of "hell hole" or another. But that is not the fault of the U.S. government and doesn't make it any more "legal" for them to sneak in.

FWIW, I believe U.S. immigration law is a mess and needs a complete overhaul. But I don't see that as a reason to not crack down on illegal immigration.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:53 am
marina wrote:
Maybe you are unaware of the anti-immigrant sentiment going on in some parts of the country. Many people don't actually care if you're here legally or not. If you speak with an accent or look different, that's what upsets them.

No I am not aware of any such sentiment.

I do wonder how much of the deliberate conflation by the Left of legal and illegal immigrants is contributing to this issue.

esther09

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:22 am
DrMom wrote:
No I am not aware of any such sentiment.

I do wonder how much of the deliberate conflation by the Left of legal and illegal immigrants is contributing to this issue.

As someone said further up, this "conflation" stemmed from Trump's poorly executed EO (though if you ask him and Fox News it went off without a hitch LOL but the brainwashing issue is for another time ). People with green cards and visas were not permitted back into the country for a few hours... ya know, until the courts rightfully ruled it unconstitutional.

I wouldn't call it deliberate conflation as much as a... logical conclusion to draw from those events?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:29 am
marina wrote:
My opinion? Clean your own ****. Stop paying others to do it for you. Thanks for asking for my opinion.

I agree with your other posts, but this one was unfair.
Many people wish they can clean up their own sh*** but can't do so for many reasons, and cleaning help is their saving grace.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:42 am
I currently have part time help, for kids and house, due to a temporary situation. She's from Serbia, here legally, and her husband is in grad school. She's bored and does this for fun. She used to be a writing teacher.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:42 am
amother wrote:
Yes, my parents are immigrants in that they did it legally and did not break any laws coming here. They waited until they were granted permission to come into this country legally.

My husband is from Canada, the "easiest" place to immigrate from, and it was a long and oh so difficult process and very expensive too. I can't imagine what it's like to try to immigrate from other countries.
The immigration system that your parents had to go through was a breeze, compared to the immigration system today.
The system before September 11, and after September 11 is also not comparable.
Based on our experience with the immigration process, I would assume it is almost impossible to become a legal reside from non-Western/US friendly countries.
So many illegal aliens are good people who cannot become legal because it is impossible, so I do think that there ymust be a different way to gauge by, if someone can stay in the USA or not. I don't have a suggestion but I hope we'll come up with a solution to this.

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
I agree with your other posts, but this one was unfair.
Many people wish they can clean up their own sh*** but can't do so for many reasons, and cleaning help is their saving grace.

There are other ways to get cleaning help, no one is stuck without any cleaning help if they really cant do the work on their own. Groupon has some deals and I am sure livingsocial has some good deals as well. https://www.groupon.com/local/.....aning

I did a quick google search and there are plenty of agencies that offer cleaning help. Here is one of them, feel free to do a google search on your own for more options-- https://www.handy.com/exclusiv.....j0Gog

amother
Red

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:07 am
OP here- loving all this discussion, but can anyone else also answer the original post? (Thank you to the few posters that did.)

I am curious as to how this strike affected people specifically (or didn't), especially in the tri-state area, especially in the frum communities. (And if any of those striking differentiated between legal/illegal status.)

Any business owners here? Any other immigrants- any illegal immigrants? Any school/college teachers?
What can you tell us?

Just curious. I like hearing about these things "on the ground", not just theoretically on Twitter.

(Marina, you talk here about your immigration- did you strike today?)

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:08 am
By definition I'm an immigrant because I was born in another country. My father was an immigrant and so were my grandparents. I'm at work today along with any number of immigrants from different countries. Everyone I went to school with was a child or grandchild of immigrants. Someone a few generations back may even have come in illegally by walking across the border with Canada, because for whatever reason he didn't have legal papers. None of us is in jail, none of us does or sells drugs, none of us is thank G-d on welfare. We are all law-abiding citizens who pay our taxes and bring up our kids to do the same.

Come to think of it, the only ethnic group that may not qualify as having descended from immigrants is Native Americans, and that only because there were no political entities to make such distinctions when they presumably crossed the Bering land bridge from eastern Asia to come here. Even the Founding Fathers were immigrants, and some were refugees to boot.

Laiya

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:17 am
According to polls, the majority of Hispanic immigrants who did the hard work to get here legally, do not support illegal immigration.

Interesting that 56% of Hispanics approve of Trump's policy while just 31% disapprove. Overall, 69% of Americans approve; 21% disapprove.

A plurality of Hispanics approve of cutting funding to sanctuary cities as well, 48-43%.

Last edited by Laiya on Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
By definition I'm an immigrant because I was born in another country. My father was an immigrant and so were my grandparents. I'm at work today along with any number of immigrants from different countries. Everyone I went to school with was a child or grandchild of immigrants. Someone a few generations back may even have come in illegally by walking across the border with Canada, because for whatever reason he didn't have legal papers. None of us is in jail, none of us does or sells drugs, none of us is thank G-d on welfare. We are all law-abiding citizens who pay our taxes and bring up our kids to do the same.

Come to think of it, the only ethnic group that may not qualify as having descended from immigrants is Native Americans, and that only because there were no political entities to make such distinctions when they presumably crossed the Bering land bridge from eastern Asia to come here. Even the Founding Fathers were immigrants, and some were refugees to boot.

Being born in another country doesn't necessarily make someone an immigrant.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:20 am
Yes, I work in the construction related field in a large community in the Tri state area. None of our Mexican workers are working. Nine of our suppliers Mexican workers are working- so no work, no deliveries, etc. both the legal and illegal workers are not working. But it is interesting to note that these are only Mexicans. The legal and illegal immigrants from other countries such as Ukraine Poland etc. are working today. Tells you something about their work ethic. My cleaning help hasn't showed up either, but that's probably because she's lazy :-)

I do find this very disturbing as America has been good to these people. They have harbored them and provided their children with equal opportunities etc. what is the purpose of striking? I think they're looking to be arrested by ICE today? They're just making us abhor them and their attitude of everything is coming to me even though I don't deserve it even more.

We Jews know that we don't strike and we appreciate the country we live in...

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
OP here- loving all this discussion, but can anyone else also answer the original post? (Thank you to the few posters that did.)

I am curious as to how this strike affected people specifically (or didn't), especially in the tri-state area, especially in the frum communities. (And if any of those striking differentiated between legal/illegal status.)

Any business owners here? Any other immigrants- any illegal immigrants? Any school/college teachers?
What can you tell us?

Just curious. I like hearing about these things "on the ground", not just theoretically on Twitter.

(Marina, you talk here about your immigration- did you strike today?)

I work in a small business in the tristate area, most of the other workers are immigrants. They all have proof of citizenship, whether or not it's forged I can't tell you. Some of them were saying they were going to strike today. The instigator was actually born here although her parents are immigrants. My boss threatened that whoever doesn't come in will be fired, partly because the instigator has been creating problems lately and he is already looking for someone to replace her, but mostly because he can't have most of his employees not show up or he can close his business.

I'll try to remember to update later whether they came in.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
I work in a small business in the tristate area, most of the other workers are immigrants. They all have proof of citizenship, whether or not it's forged I can't tell you. Some of them were saying they were going to strike today. The instigator was actually born here although her parents are immigrants. My boss threatened that whoever doesn't come in will be fired, partly because the instigator has been creating problems lately and he is already looking for someone to replace her, but mostly because he can't have most of his employees not show up or he can close his business.

I'll try to remember to update later whether they came in.

My great grandfather was an immigrant instigator. He wanted to take one day off, but his boss needed to keep the business open. Well, the boss threatened him, whoever doesn't come in will be fired. Because the boss couldn't have most of his employees not show up on Yom Kippur, or he could close his business. Well, I'm sure you know what happened next. Great grandfather was fired. Blacklisted. No one would hire an immigrant rabble-rouser like him. So he had to emigrate. Again. For the 3rd time in his life. That time, to the US.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:46 am
SixOfWands wrote:
My great grandfather was an immigrant instigator. He wanted to take one day off, but his boss needed to keep the business open. Well, the boss threatened him, whoever doesn't come in will be fired. Because the boss couldn't have most of his employees not show up on Yom Kippur, or he could close his business. Well, I'm sure you know what happened next. Great grandfather was fired. Blacklisted. No one would hire an immigrant rabble-rouser like him. So he had to emigrate. Again. For the 3rd time in his life. That time, to the US.

Except that she's very young and instigating about stupid things. Like threatening to sue him if he doesn't pay for health insurance for everyone, because she was convinced that he was required to by law. And she got the other workers who were very otherwise very happy, very angry at my boss. For no reason, because she was wrong.

She also decided that the business should buy everyone a full uniform. My boss agreed to buy shirts, then she decided that's not good enough, he should buy them pants also. Now this is not an industry in which employees typically wear uniforms. The business is open for over 10 years and nobody has ever requested uniforms. But again, she got everyone all excited about it.

Many of the workers don't speak English, so they believe her when she says her lawyer cousin told her something. Some of them have worked here happily for years, but she is changing the whole atmosphere. I think he should have fired her already, I think she will cause more damage in the long run, but he wants to find the perfect replacement first.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:48 am
No grocery delivery here today cuz of the strike. My husband's Mexican coworkers don't come in today as well.

You think this strike will make or brake anything? Or are they just threatening? Dunno Surprised
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics