Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When do you go to the dr?

How long before you go to the doctor?
1 day  
 14%  [ 7 ]
2 days  
 26%  [ 13 ]
3-5 days  
 42%  [ 21 ]
6-7 days  
 12%  [ 6 ]
more than a week  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:42 am
How soon do you go to the doctor for babies over 6 months who are incredibly kvetchy and off but dont have any fever? And what do you do before you go? Any techniques?

smileyfaces

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:43 am
I'm dealing with similar but baby is 2 months old. I have an appointment scheduled for today

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:15 am
Depends what you mean by "off." (and, I guess, "incredibly.") Is he eating normally? Sleeping normally? Diapering normally? If any of those are disrupted I'd go in sooner. If not, I'd wait it out longer.

Redbird

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:51 am
For some reason, when to go to the doctor, or keep a kid home from school, seems to be the hardest parenting decision!! I hate doing both when its not necessary.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 12:22 pm
1 day at that age.
2 days at an older age.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 12:47 pm
I usually call my dr on day 1 or 2 of strange behavior. Usually she will tell me to either book or wait.

cinnabuns

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 1:03 pm
At that age, I'd check for teeth coming in... ITop teeth are harder to see, the gums apparently swell up long before the teeth come through..
Day 3 you definitely need to go in.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:26 pm
I wouldn't go in at all unless there were drastic symptoms in addition to the kvetchiness - not taking in enough fluids, not producing enough diapers, throwing up a lot and not drinking, lethargic when awake, too much sleeping, high fever, unexplained rash, trouble breathing, skin color looking different, etc. But if baby was kvetchy for the third day in a row without any other symptoms I'd call the doctor for an opinion, if I wasn't sure what it was.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:55 pm
Same day with fever

1 day if fussy along with sleeping or eating issues

2 days if fussy but sleeping and eating well

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:08 pm
Redbird wrote:
For some reason, when to go to the doctor, or keep a kid home from school, seems to be the hardest parenting decision!! I hate doing both when its not necessary.

Totally agree!! I hate it and I need to decide quite a lot Surprised

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:22 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I wouldn't go in at all unless there were drastic symptoms in addition to the kvetchiness - not taking in enough fluids, not producing enough diapers, throwing up a lot and not drinking, lethargic when awake, too much sleeping, high fever, unexplained rash, trouble breathing, skin color looking different, etc. But if baby was kvetchy for the third day in a row without any other symptoms I'd call the doctor for an opinion, if I wasn't sure what it was.

Trouble breathing or skin color changing you call Hatzolah, not doctor.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
How soon do you go to the doctor for babies over 6 months who are incredibly kvetchy and off but dont have any fever? And what do you do before you go? Any techniques?

Depends what you mean by kvetchy.

I had a kvetchy child who needed emergency surgery. Only sign was that he hadn't eaten for 24 hours. I was sure it was going to be 6 wasted hours in emergency room - it turned into weeks in and out of the hospital.

Looking back, his kvetchyness was abnormal... He had a high pitched cry and couldn't sleep or eat. But no other symptoms.

My point is, it really depends. If you feel something is off - just go. It can't hurt.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:22 pm
seeker wrote:

I'll second this.

real israeli

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:23 pm
I agree that it's a judgment call based on the circumstances each time. In general if my kid is cranky but no fever I'll give Tylenol/Motrin to keep the comfortable. After 24 hours if the crankiness continues I'd call the doctor to notify him but I wait till 48 hours to actually go in. Unless there's high fever in which case I go same day. Or low fever I go after 24 hours.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:26 pm
seeker wrote:

Sure, but it depends on the type. I meant wheezing or croupy, that kind of thing. Obviously in an emergency you call hatzolah. Did that really need to be explained? Confused

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:57 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Sure, but it depends on the type. I meant wheezing or croupy, that kind of thing. Obviously in an emergency you call hatzolah. Did that really need to be explained? Confused

When dealing with medical advice, the clearer the better. Seeker was just clarifying your comment.

When would skin color change? I know you couldn't have meant a lack-of-oxygen blue tinge lo aleinu, cuz that would be a hatzala call- you mean like pale and lethargic looking?

It is hard to read between the lines sometimes...

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 12:25 am
Yeah, to me "trouble breathing" means the person is literally having difficulty breathing. If you have a known history and treatment plan for wheezing, that's not the same thing. Croup - regular croup maybe not but if your croupy child is literally having trouble breathing then yes I think that warrants emergency care.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 12:47 am
seeker wrote:
Yeah, to me "trouble breathing" means the person is literally having difficulty breathing. If you have a known history and treatment plan for wheezing, that's not the same thing. Croup - regular croup maybe not but if your croupy child is literally having trouble breathing then yes I think that warrants emergency care.

My son needed emergency care twice with croup, with the first being worse. When my pediatrician heard that I had called hatzala that first time, he told me there was no need for that, and I could simply treat croup by placing the child near an open window or taking him outside. Um... Scratching Head No. (My pediatrician is excellent but is the anti-alarmist type.) The first responders to my call were quite concerned and my son was put to the front of the line in the ER for treatment by steroid injection. I have seen that fresh air helps to prevent a croup attack, but a real croup attack unfortunately requires emergency care. Sad

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 12:53 am
Fresh air helps normal croup attacks, but then there are severe croup attacks. You have to be able to pay attention to whether your kid is actually having difficulty breathing (for more than a few seconds). I have been told by Hatzolah responders that it is always better to be alarmist, as you say, when you think someone is having a hard time breathing. If they come and find out that it was really nothing, that's OK, it's part of what they signed up for and they'd rather see you healthy than C"V have to rescue you from an already deteriorating situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics