Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
My bank account is frozen :(

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:25 pm
Tried to use my debit card today. Declined. Checked my balance online and all funds are being held.
It was late in the afternoon so bank is closed and can't get more info from them.
I got a letter about a week ago from government revenue (do not live in states btw) stating I owed over 3,000.
First of all, I don't.
Second can they freeze my account just like that? Apparently they can...

Just another nail in my coffin of things going wrong in my life. I know that god hates me. Money is always an issue with is. I try, I try I try, but nothing ever works out for me. I'm beyond depressed. This is very very bad

I have no access to my money. And when I do get paid then what do I do?

I have to call tomorrow to see what's going on. But really??????? Like really????????? I'm sick sick sick of my friggin hard unfair loser life.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:34 pm
The IRS does not issue a levy on your account without prior notice. You would have received many bills from the IRS in the months or years prior. And then before freezing funds, at the very least you would have received an intent to levy letter from the IRS as well as a letter from your bank with a warning that the IRS has given them 14 days prior notice that funds would be seized.
If in fact the IRS did put a hold on your account, you can call and work it out or have an accountant represent you and do it for you.
Hug

PAMOM

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:41 pm
Coral, if she doesn't live in the US, it's not the IRS. OP--Don't have your salary deposited into this account until everything is settled. Get paid directly by check and have someone cash it for you. Wherever you are, get an accountant ASAP to help you. Can you post your country if you need suggestions or info on another country's tax system? And if you're married, what does your husband say?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:44 pm
Do you live in Canada? (You referred to government revenue in your post). If you do, it is highly unlikely that your account was frozen after receiving a single notice from the CRA. A couple of years ago, my accountant messed up and I was receiving notices of payment due for a year until the issue was resolved. My accounts were never frozen. It is more likely that there were some unusual transactions on your account and a hold was put on it as a safety precaution.

happy12

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:45 pm
Once had my account frozen for three days. I went down to the bank and showed the name matched but not the ss number or address so they unfreeze the account.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:01 pm
I don't know where you live, but if I call the 800 number for my bank there is someone to speak to even if my local bank is closed. You may want to try that.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:03 pm
I live in Canada
I did call the 1-800 number when I got home at about 5 :00 who told me
that it was frozen. She gave me the direct phone no with extention of the contact person at the bank. By that time it was too late and they were
Closed.

My husband is just as baffled as me and says I do not owe this money. We file our taxes yearly.
I make so little u have no idea.

Dh says we need to find out the story and we'll deal with it. I say that it's probably not a mistake as this is typical $hit that happens.
For example, I get a monthly amount
From the government for my SN child. A few hundred dollars which goes towards programs, therapy etc. Every month it goes into my account. In December it was decided that we don't qualify anymore. My dh made a little more money last year but since has lost that job. So Abruptly in December I didn't get paid. I called them and was crying tomthem that I NEED that money so badly for my child. He says I have to write them
A letter asking for an internal
Review. Which I did. Still waiting for their reply. I can't handle my life. It's so very unfair.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
........... I can't handle my life. It's so very unfair.

I sooooo feel for you and I sometimes wonder how "Av Harachaman" looks down at those of us suffering, and despite all their davening and efforts, it gets worse sometimes, and not better! Sort of like the roaches struggling to get out of the glue in roach motel, but they end up dieing there, despite their valiant struggle. I should be more comforting, but sometimes I feel like youre describing you feel.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:00 am
OP Here.

Found out. I am in shock. I had a nanny when my SN child was 2.5 yrs old who is now 12. I didn't pay for all her deductions apparently.

I cannot cope with my life. ImI am at the end of my rope.whats next for me? I have no faith in anyone, anything , in god. Who hates me. I hate me. How can I feel or think differently. I don't know what this new problem involves but really cannot cannot cannot Manage.
It seems that whenever I get used to what god hasn't in store for me,
Bam, he sends me another test. Which I continuously fail.
I have nothing to give. Nothing. We lost our house, our car, I have norhing.
Oh I owe 3400.00.

Only thing that relieves my pain is hurting myself.
How can I pay for anything from my account? I have nothing.
I am destitute

How can I go to work? And pretend?
I'm the one whose co worker thinks she's dying drom some dreaded disease.
In the last week she went for an MRI, abdominal u/s, and chest X-ray. I kid u not! She's a beautiful woman in great shape.

WT*.

Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:23 am
So, not being familiar with rules in Canada at all, but that sounds crazy that they'd freeze your account from an issue stemming 8 years ago with no notice! How could they not have sent you notice? And isn't there any kind of statute of limitations on their ability to collect old debts?

I hope you find someone in real life to help you with this - and your other problems. You seem way over your head with problems. I daven things should only get better from here on.

Hug Hug

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:24 pm
OP here,

my dh spoke to a tax lawyer. Apparently, they CAN do this and there is no statute of limitations for this.

So, will pay. what what? have no idea.

and after this is over, another thing will happen

and then another, and then another.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics