Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Paint on fabric seamstress

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:18 pm
I am looking for a seamstress or maybe it's not called a seamstress, who can paint a design onto a top I have.

where can I do it in Brooklyn?

TIA

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:00 pm
That's not a seamstress. A seamstress sews clothing. What you want is a textile artist or just a plain artist. You could ask a seamstress and if she's artistic as well as a skilled needleworker she may agree to do it. Most probably would not. I happen to know a textile artist in Manhattan but he charges a lot. His designs are after all original works of art even though they are worn on the body. You can pm me if you're interested.

You can also check out Vistaprint. They print designs on anything. You send them a digital file and they print it.

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:
I am looking for a seamstress or maybe it's not called a seamstress, who can paint a design onto a top I have.

where can I do it in Brooklyn?

TIA

There's someone on Instagram I think she's based in Williamsburg.
I'll look for the number

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:08 pm
Thanks zaq! If I won't find someone in Brooklyn, I'll message you for the info of that Manhattan designer.

cnc, can I please get the Instagram name?

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:11 pm
347 768 4134

Handsbyhan

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:28 pm
I thought you wanted a seamstress to make your clothes so tight that they looked like they were painted on! shock

Here I was, ready to grab the popcorn and watch the tznius police swoop in. LOL

In all seriousness, if you or your kids are feeling artsy, acrylic paints are great on fabric, and if you hand wash they will last a really long time without cracking.

If you want a watercolor effect, Dharma Trading has Jaquard brand Dyes that are really easy to use, and come with complete tutorials. You can buy blank (white) long sleeve t shirts there, too.

I took some old clothes that had stains on them, and made them into gorgeous creations. I bought some old lace doilies from a second hand store, and laid them out flat on the clothes. I put the Jaquard dye in a spray bottle, and spritzed it over the whole item in a misty kind of way. When it dried I carefully lifted up the lace, and then ironed the clothes to set the dye. It looked very "high end fancy", and the dye never faded or ran on other clothes in the washing machine. I even sold some on Etsy, and made back the cost of the dye!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:37 pm
cnc wrote:
347 768 4134

Handsbyhan

Thanks loads!!
This seems to be what I was looking for.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:39 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I thought you wanted a seamstress to make your clothes so tight that they looked like they were painted on! shock

Here I was, ready to grab the popcorn and watch the tznius police swoop in. LOL

In all seriousness, if you or your kids are feeling artsy, acrylic paints are great on fabric, and if you hand wash they will last a really long time without cracking.

If you want a watercolor effect, Dharma Trading has Jaquard brand Dyes that are really easy to use, and come with complete tutorials. You can buy blank (white) long sleeve t shirts there, too.

I took some old clothes that had stains on them, and made them into gorgeous creations. I bought some old lace doilies from a second hand store, and laid them out flat on the clothes. I put the Jaquard dye in a spray bottle, and spritzed it over the whole item in a misty kind of way. When it dried I carefully lifted up the lace, and then ironed the clothes to set the dye. It looked very "high end fancy", and the dye never faded or ran on other clothes in the washing machine. I even sold some on Etsy, and made back the cost of the dye!

I want this for an elegant top.
But it's a great idea for some other time!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics