Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
New York tips

azeitune

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:43 pm
I'm from Brazil and my husband will spend a week in NY with my two boys (9 and 6). I need your tips!
1- which area should they stay?
2- do you know any religious family that rent a basement ? Or any other ideas ? It's a very expensive trip for us so we want to save money in hotels.
3 - Nice places to visit with the kids? ) my husband already knows NY, we want the trip to Be nice for the boys)
Thanks a lot!!!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:03 pm
That's so exciting!
Where in NY do they want to visit? What is the purpose of the trip and what do they want to accomplish while they're here? Knowing that should help narrow down where they should stay.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:37 pm
What month are they coming? Do they want to stay in Brooklyn, where there are more frum amenities, or in Manhattan, where most of the attractions that make NYC famous are?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:53 pm
I would do Statue of liberty on free ferry but it may be cold
The jewish childrens museum in crownheights is great! and then you can do lunch in basil one day and show them Crown heights...
Times Square is obviously most exciting. The disney store, the M and M store. Ripleys believe it or not ($$$)
Maybe a sports game too?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:08 pm
The Museum of Natural History is a winner for most kids. it is on the Upper West Side, so there are plenty of places to eat too. There is an outstanding pizza shop and a decent bagel restaurant within two blocks. Weather permitting, the Central Park zoo is also nearby. The Central Park Zoo is a lot smaller than the Bronx Zoo (and is also better located). You will be able to see the whole thing in a couple of hours. Do your boys like boats and planes? One of mine used to LOVE the Intrepid, which has a museum on the boat too. Finally, they might enjoy a double decker bus tour. I live in Manhattan so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about eateries, etc.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
The Museum of Natural History is a winner for most kids. it is on the Upper West Side, so there are plenty of places to eat too. There is an outstanding pizza shop and a decent bagel restaurant within two blocks. Weather permitting, the Central Park zoo is also nearby. The Central Park Zoo is a lot smaller than the Bronx Zoo (and is also better located). You will be able to see the whole thing in a couple of hours. Do your boys like bats and planes? One of mine used to LOVE the Intrepid, which has a museum on the boat. Finally, they might enjoy a double decker bus tour. I live in Manhattan so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about eateries, etc.

Good ideas, but she can't PM you because you're amother.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:20 pm
Oops. (Sorry, it's been a along day.) In that case just ask me here.

azeitune

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:32 am
Thanks girls! It's ok to stay in Brooklyn but I would prefer manhattan so they don't have to spend 45 min everyday in the train. What's your opinion?

Savta S

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 5:22 am
It's true that you would save travel time staying in Manhattan, but it's harder and much more expensive managing the kosher food there. I know of a frum family that rents out a room in Queens, Kew Gardent Hills, and of 3 frum hotel options in Brooklyn, but you Ned to make decisions first.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 8:31 am
Manhattan girl here again. The food is really not such an issue here. We have the usual kosher kid food here -pizza, fast food, bagel places...at reasonable enough prices. There are carts selling fruit and drinks. But I can not imagine you will find a reasonably priced place to stay. I would stay in Brooklyn, and train in.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 9:21 am
Are you aware of the Manhattan hotel prices? It's very expensive to stay there. But if money is not an issue, of course it's quite exciting to be able to stay right in the heart of things. There are plenty of restaurants in Manhattan too.

doctorima

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:10 am
As others have said, your biggest issue in Manhattan will be lodging costs. Do you know anybody there that could host them? Otherwise, your first step in planning will be to decide where they are staying, and then plan the trip around that. Also, while there is definitely kosher food in Manhattan, be aware that it's a big, spread-out city, and even if you find a place for them to stay, the closest kosher restaurant (esp. cheap ones, of which there are few) could be quite a distance. Minyan also may not be convenient if that's relevant.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:33 am
Getting from Brooklyn to Manhattan doesn't really take that much longer than getting from one part of Manhattan to another. A few extra stops on the train. Just don't stay in Flatbush or Marine Park, that'll start getting a lot longer. Crown Heights will also cost you travel time.

From the things mentioned before, Intrepid and bus tours are going to be expensive, but many museums are free or suggested donation (including Museum of Natural History). Not sure if your kids are interested in museums. There are also a lot of cool stores - like the Lego store - free visit.

I second the suggestion of Jewish Children's Museum - it's not cheap (you can often get a coupon online for a slight discount) but it's really very impressive and your kids are the age to enjoy it. It's especially exciting for kids who come from smaller Jewish communities, I guess because they don't take it for granted that Judaism is such a big deal in the world. The museum is right in the heart of Jewish Crown Heights so you can just walk down the block and get that sense of being surrounded with Jewish life. It's different than Williamsburg where you can sort of do the same thing but with more of a shtetl feel - Crown Heights is very contemporary.

azeitune

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 1:44 pm
If they stay in Brooklyn boro park would be the best option? Is queens located in Brooklyn too?
The boys like museums, thanks for all the suggestions!

doctorima

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 1:47 pm
Queens is not park of Brooklyn. If your goal is to find a religious neighborhood that will feel most familiar to them, Boro Park is mostly Chassidish, Williamsburg is mostly Satmar, Crown Heights is mostly Lubavitch, and Flatbush and Queens are mostly Litvish and Sefardi. If your goal is to be closest to Manhattan, that would depend on where in the city they are going, and which neighborhood will have the fastest, most direct train.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 2:02 pm
Boro park is not far from Manhattan IF you're near a train station. The trains are spread out around there. Kensington is also good. Park slope is great but not many frum people live there.
Queens is not great for travel to Manhattan by public transportation but again if you have a place near a train it isn't bad.

Will they be there over a weekend? NY hall of science (which happens to be in queens) is a great museum for kids and admission is free if you get there between 10-11 on Sundays.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 2:32 pm
If you decide to stay in Queens, there are places to see there as well. There is the new york hall of science http://nysci.org/visit-main/

If you stay in borough park you may want to visit the living torah museum (appointment only).
http://www.thelivingtorahmuseu......html

ETA: Didn't see that seeker posted already about the ny hall of science!

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 2:39 pm
If you want to stay in Manhattan the upper west side is a good area. There is a children's museum, museum of natural history, and tons of kosher food and shuls.

You can look for an airbnb or vrbo.

Amarante

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:05 pm
If ourwajt to stay in Manhattan, try air bnb as you can find more affordable housing choices.

If possible, I would stay in Manhattan, especially with kids because the subway will get tiresome to go back and forth every day.

There ar so many things to do in NYC, best to post what your ur boys like to d in terms of interest.

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:11 pm
Amarante wrote:
If ourwajt to stay in Manhattan, try air bnb as you can find more affordable housing choices.

If possible, I would stay in Manhattan, especially with kids because the subway will get tiresome to go back and forth every day.

There ar so many things to do in NYC, best to post what your ur boys like to d in terms of interest.

You might want to be careful with airbnb in NY. The law against advertising short term rentals allows for fines of tenants also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics