Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need a camp job

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 10:41 pm
Dh will be working in the Catskills this summer and I need to find us a place to live. The ideal situation would be for me to get a job working in a camp where I could get on-campus housing. I am a girl's high school teacher, a social worker by training and have my LMSW license (if that helps for working with special needs?).

Any ideas? I don't really know how to go about finding such a job...

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 11:03 pm
What's your hashkafa?

Get a list of camps where you would feel comfortable and start making phone calls.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 9:58 am
I guess you could say we are chilled yeshivish. Or something. Dh says its ok by him if we are in an MO camp. I cant work in a chassidish camp because I dont speak yiddish. I get the sense that for this kind of thing you need connections though.

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
I guess you could say we are chilled yeshivish. Or something. Dh says its ok by him if we are in an MO camp. I cant work in a chassidish camp because I dont speak yiddish. I get the sense that for this kind of thing you need connections though.

I don't know if there are any MO camps in the Catskills. The MO camps are mostly in Wayne County, Pennsylvania, which is quite a bit away.

I found a fast list of Catskills camps for you:

http://www.campwizard.org/over.....kills

But you really need to get on the phone TODAY. DS will be working at a camp this summer, and they have just about their entire staff in place by now.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 2:38 pm
Thanks, Barbara. That list does not have any frum camps on it. But I do appreciate your underscoring the urgency I should be feeling, I definitely was not putting in sufficient effort before I read your post, but you are absolutely right.

Anyone know where I can find a list of frum camps in the Catskills?

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 2:52 pm
Perhaps whoever hired your husband would be able to help you find a job.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 3:11 pm
He is going to be running a small business - hiring me will just take away from the bottom line Smile

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 3:36 pm
I didn't mean that they should hire you as well. Presumably a business in the Catskills has contacts with other businesses/organizations in the area and may be able to help you find a job that way.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 5:16 pm
some bungalow colonies have day camps. Maybe they would be happy to offer you a bungalow in return for running the day camp?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 5:19 pm
I did a carft workshop in Camp Emunah teen camp one summer. My husband worked in the catskills then too. I found it in the Jewish Press. I'm not Lubavitch and do not have connections. Check the ads.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 5:21 pm
camp nageela

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 5:21 pm
oorah
girls zone

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 11:31 pm
I work at a camp. Funny question-how many children do you have/how many do you need housing for? How good are you organizationally?

Mom23gs

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 11:41 pm
Camp Kaylie is in the catskills, but I don't know if they are still hiring.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
I work at a camp. Funny question-how many children do you have/how many do you need housing for? How good are you organizationally?

Old thread. I know. But I'm currently looking to get a camp job with 5 kids. Do you still work at the camp??

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 9:05 am
I do. At this point we are pretty much set with married staff. I also want to mention that it's not impossible, but housing is limited and unless you are exceptional and/or we're desperate, we try not to hire staff with 4+ kids Crying Crying But... you never know...

Good luck finding something!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 9:41 am
Also interested in any leads and I'm only one adult with 2 kids, no babies. Desperately need to get away, willing to work hard for it, but can't afford to pay cash.

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
Also interested in any leads and I'm only one adult with 2 kids, no babies. Desperately need to get away, willing to work hard for it, but can't afford to pay cash.

Try Oorahs's Zone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics