Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shalom Auslander

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 18 2017, 6:26 pm
I just finished reading "Foreskin's Lament" and found his writing brilliant and funny. After reading the book though, I did some online research and found his brother, sister and mother and was surprised to see that they do not look like the orthodox family he describes in his book. His brother is a lawyer who doesn't wear a yarmulka, his sil is wearing pants and his mother and sister are not covering their hair.

Now I'm starting to doubt the book....how is it possible for a book to be placed in the "memoir" genre if the facts are not real?

momosix

Post Sat, Feb 18 2017, 6:46 pm
Um, there are lots of people out there who are orthodox who don't cover their hair and wear pants. Less usual for men to not wear a yarmulke all the time but there are those as well. They keep shabbos, holidays, kosher, go to shul, give tzedakah, send their children to Yeshivas and day schools, and many send their kids to learn in israel for a year post high school, some go to shiurim and learn Torah regularly. There are whole communities of these Orthodox Jews in the U.S. and I think you would be touched to see their level of commitment if you observed them up close.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 18 2017, 7:13 pm
I am aware of that - I have friends who are orthodox and wear pants etc but the way he described his upbringing in his book sounded more like ultra-frum and oppressive to the point that he felt that he had to leave in order to find himself.

marina

Post Sat, Feb 18 2017, 7:57 pm
loved that book

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 5:41 am
He and his brother did live in Monsey and they went to ysv. Although Monsey and ysv were more modern back during his time there than they are today. The book is satire so some parts are exaggerated and all is his own perception of the events that happened. People also change a lot in 35 years.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 7:22 am
If you enjoyed the book why can't you leave it at that...

Are you planning on being meshadich with his family or going to a school he is part of. What posesses you to do all PI work.. shock shock shock

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 7:34 am
amother wrote:
If you enjoyed the book why can't you leave it at that...

Are you planning on being meshadich with his family or going to a school he is part of. What posesses you to do all PI work.. shock shock shock

I am not surprised that she did some research about his family. It's a book that you read and it really makes you think about it. You really get involved. I actually went to look at the house they lived in ( but I live in Monsey so was not hard to go to to give a glance)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room