Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Chesed or activity for 12 yo daughter on Sunday's

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 3:20 pm
Please help!! My oldest daughter is too mature for her own good. Regular girl activities like gymnastics and ice skating bore her. She doesn't really have any good friends besides for one or two older girls who live on our block because she has no interest in her own age girls.
She is SOOO bored on Sunday's. We live in Brooklyn and I'm desperate for something to occupy her. Preferably something that involves activitt as she could use some calorie burning. I'd love to start some kind of fun exercise class but can't seem to find an instructor. OR I'd LOVE for her to have a chesed job. On shabbos she has a chesed job watching a little girl when the girls father who is divorced goes to shul to daven. But Sunday's.. shoot me now. No gymnastics art or baking please!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 6:30 pm
by starting a fun class, do you mean organize one or sign up for one? I know a great yoga instructor in brooklyn. if you want her info, pm me. she does private sessions or classes.

redheaded

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 1:20 pm
A job in a special ed Sunday program. Yaldeinu. There is some program in BYHS.

Zehava

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 2:04 pm
Music lessons? You didn't rule that out. I was "too mature for my own good" and music was amazing for me.
Seems she already does chessed on shabbos. She's 12. Give the girl a break.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 4:11 pm
My friends used to go to the nursing home. We'd go as a group (it was easier than going alone), plus the social pressure kept us all going every week.

Another thing I did later on was go over to a family in the neighborhood every Sunday who had a daughter with down's syndrome who was non-verbal and quite low-functioning. The mom just needed an hour or two break to get things done in the house or take a nap, or just sit and read in the other room. So I would just sit on the floor with the kid and play with her. She really thrived from the one-on-one attention from someone energetic and focused on her, and the parents loved be able to just sit and do nothing, or accomplish other things in the house.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 4:17 pm
Is there a Friendship Circle in your neighborhood? It's a Chabad program for special needs kids. They have all sorts of activities and even trips for the kids, and each one is paired up with a volunteer. Only thing is I'm not sure if 12 is old enough to volunteer. But worth looking into. If there is a branch near you, ask if she's old enough.

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:49 pm
You guys are all amazing your suggestions for special needs chesed jobs gave me the most amazing warm and fuzzy feeling. HOWEVER.. I have a ten year old with downs. They share a room. They love each other. And she likes other special kids too BUT I wouldn't mind if she has something else to be busy with not special needs. She has enough of that here at home. She is amazing with her downs sissy but I would like her to have a break from it. Person who suggested music- she takes piano lessons. Love em. Practices daily. STILL need SOMETHING to occupy her allllllll Sunday. And she goes to Whats Supposed to be challenging school but she never cracks open a book and bh gets hundreds.

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:50 pm
Person who suggested yoga- love it but would rather more cardio not yoga
Does anyone know any fitness instructor who would do teen girl class???!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 6:03 pm
Swimming classes? At that age my friends and I took israeli dance to learn dances for bat mitzvahs.

cm

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 6:16 pm
Do you have a martial arts school in your area?

I found at that age it was hard to find a volunteer job for my daughter that she could do independently. Many organizations here prefer older teens. If you share an interest and can spend the time, you might be able to do volunteer work together (environment, animal shelter, local politics, Jewish organization committee work, meals on wheels, etc etc). Maybe your local Federation could give you some leads.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:48 pm
does she like watching the girl on shabbos? I b"H don't qualify as a "chessed" family but I've got little kids and my daughter's friend older sister asked if could come play with my LO. She seemed to really enjoy it and so did my kids. She's almost 12 and has a few kids younger then her in her family but somehow playing with my kids was something different and exciting.

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:47 pm
Maybe she would like to make a fun school for little girls who live closeby?

Can she join an excersize group like zumba or earobics. There should be plenty of teens forming groups.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children