Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How do exterminators rid mice in a basement w. kids?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:14 pm
If exterminators use very strong poison, isnt it dangerous if small kids are around?

Otherwise how do exterminators eliminate mice in kid populated basements?

I think basements cant be mouse-proofed because there are too many openings to outdoors in meter room and boiler room.

Has anyone had a mouse problem in a basement where little kids go, and got rid of them? How?

cm

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:30 pm
The bait is in locked boxes with little holes for the mice to go in. I think they are kid-proof.

It is possible for tiny crumbs of bait and droppings to spill out if the bait box is knocked over after it has been used, so you should be alert and look around daily.

Most of the bait boxes are placed on ledges near the ceiling (if you have unfinished sections of the basement), so small children can't get at them.

Be sure to use a properly licensed professional exterminator.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:35 pm
cm wrote:
The bait is in locked boxes with little holes for the mice to go in. I think they are kid-proof.

It is possible for tiny crumbs of bait and droppings to spill out if the bait box is knocked over after it has been used, so you should be alert and look around daily.

Most of the bait boxes are placed on ledges near the ceiling (if you have unfinished sections of the basement), so small children can't get at them.

Be sure to use a properly licensed professional exterminator.

Thats what an exterminator offered me, but he said theres no guarantee. Im wondering how you can eliminate them if youre not sealing where they enter.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:37 pm
Bait is put in places that are not accessible, such as behind the radiate before it's blocked off and so on. We used an excellent exterminator and have really stopped seeing mice. It's such a blessing and we should have done this years ago.

cm

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:56 pm
They enter through such tiny openings, I don't know how we could keep them out permanently. We have the exterminator for a follow-up treatment every so often. We no longer have an infestation, just an occasional visitor. The basement is very clean and pleasant, and you would never know there was a problem.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
Bait is put in places that are not accessible, such as behind the radiate before it's blocked off and so on. We used an excellent exterminator and have really stopped seeing mice. It's such a blessing and we should have done this years ago.

Whenever an exterminator baits make sure he is using a single kill poison, that way a dog, cat or bird getting a hold of a poisoned rodent won't be killed.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 10:53 pm
When I was in this situation, the exterminator put the bait in out of reach places- the boiler room, behind the oven, behind the fridge. It was impossible to completely mice proof the place, but through keeping the place clean, paying attention to signs of unwanted guests, and having a good exterminator every so often, we rarely had a problem after the initial one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries