Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Anyone Else Remember K’tonton

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:18 am
I hadn't thought of these stories for years and then came across a passing reference to the books as well as the All Of A Kind Family - another series of books I loved as a child.

All of A Kind Family was a Jewish family on the Lower East Side at turn of the twentieth century.

K’tonton was the Jewish Tom Thumb who takes a ride on a chopping knife and wishes he hadn’t, who goes to synagogue and swings on a lulav, who takes a ride on a runaway dried.

From a review:

K’tonton has just the right amount of scary. Our hero decides to ride the knife like a bucking bronco while his mother is chopping fish for Shabbat, then winds up falling off and having to dodge the flashing silver knife while throwing himself desperately around the bowl of raw fish bits. (Of course, his mother finally sees him, picks him up with two fingers and rinses him under the kitchen faucet. She doesn’t even get mad!) He gets accidentally folded inside a hamantashen, but he winds up cheering up a sad little boy on Purim. On Rosh Hashanah, he knocks over a cup of honey and lets a stray kitten take the blame, then he tells the truth on Yom Kippur. (The kitten forgives him.) He gets shipwrecked on a deserted island, but he befriends all the animals and eventually returns to civilization on a seaweed raft.

Do kids still read them?

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewis.....-time

etky

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:24 am
I still have a K'tonton book from my childhood and I read it to my kids when they were little.
Be"h I hope they will read the stories to their own children when the time comes.
I loved those stories - and the illustrations - when I was little.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:31 am
Ds loves it!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:38 am
I read K'Tonton to my kids when they were small, and bought a used copy a few years ago to read to my grandkids.

Link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/of.....r=1-7

grace413

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:23 am
I have fond memories of Ktonton.

champion

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:25 am
Yup! grew up with those stories

cm

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:30 am
Yes! Both K'tonton and All of a Kind Family.

DallasIma

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:45 am
My kids had all of those books and I remember reading K'tonton to them when they were little. Nice memories!

miriamg

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:18 am
I found a few ktonton books in my local library recently and read them to my 2nd grader. He loved them! Nothing like the good wholesome books! All of a kind family is also great. I also recently read my kids 'Best of Olomeinu' books. They were so wonderful, so full of content!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room