Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What age to put a child on top bunk

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 10:52 pm
What is the youngest age you would put a.child on the top bed of a bunkbed with bars on both sides and a headboard and footboard?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 11:03 pm
Honestly never if you can manage.

I spent weeks looking for the perfect bunkbed that can be two separate beds. A few minutes after we got it the boys were fighting over who will sleep ontop. They threatened to push each other down. It was taken apart immediately and is currently used as two beds, even though they are way older now. I would love more floor space, but when I asked my pediatrician regarding the safety issue, I was told to never use it as a bunk bed.

My family's incident surfaced memories of my very young self (around 4 or 5) sleeping on the top of a bunk bed. This was without permission, because we had a babysitter that night I took advantage. My mom didnt want to climb up to get me, so she pulled another bed (probably my real bed) and put it next to the bunkbed. I fell not long after. Obviously the gates are made better now.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 11:06 pm
I actually put my younger child (three) on top because the gate is so good it's almost like a crib. He would have fallen off the bottom with no rail. So far so good.

SingALong

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 11:20 pm
I think I recall a warning label on my bunk bed saying age 6 years old minimum for the top.

gibberish

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
I actually put my younger child (three) on top because the gate is so good it's almost like a crib. He would have fallen off the bottom with no rail. So far so good.
can't the child climb over the rail?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 11:35 pm
Another aubergine, I'm scared to even think what can happen to a 3 year old bending over the railing of a top bunk.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 11:38 pm
It also depends on the child. No way I would put any of my children on one or even have one set up in my house. They would just be jumping off of it.
My older dc slept on one when we were guests at someone's house but they weren't there long enough to play around.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 2:02 am
lol I remember my cousin convincing me that kids who sleep on the top bunk have bad dreams, probably so she would be able to sleep there. After that I always let my sister have it. She couldn't have been older than 5 at the time, and never fell off.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 4:26 am
I have with 5 yr olds. I agree, depends on the child (and siblings)- responsibility, fighting, etc.. I also ordered a custom made guard rail for the bottom bed so I was able to put a 3 yr old in it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:49 am
Why get bunkbeds if you plan on never putting someone on top? So odd.
4 is good with a barrier.

asp40

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:58 am
Minimum age is 6yrs. Older if you have any concerns that your kids will fool around.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:18 am
we just put up bunk beds after debating for a while what to do- both of us really really didn't want to but bc of space we had no choice

we told our girls that you must be 6 years old to sleep on the top and there is nothing to discuss.
we also made a long list of rules of who/when/how we can go to the top

my big ones are careful and not such wild kids, but oh boy my 2 year old!!
im still coming up with ways to block the steps so she won't climb up

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:53 am
My 5.5 YO is on the top.
We have strict rules about sitting only etc and they get punished if they dont listen.

Growing up we ALL had bunk beds. In every room. I can remember ONE time one of my siblings fell off and she was fine bh.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:59 am
amother wrote:

What brand is this? I'll I"YH be in the market for one soon and would love one like that.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
What brand is this? I'll I"YH be in the market for one soon and would love one like that.

Don't get me wrong it's not a crib. More like if you'd raise the mattress of the crib like you do with a baby.
But there is no way he can fall off while asleep.
It comes with steps and the opening is on the side of the steps so no way he can fall off while trying to come down.
NE school collection.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:06 am
One of my kids broke an elbow toppling out of a regular bed, so I don't think I can ever bring myself to have bunk beds. As a kid, when I played with friends who had bunk beds, we used to regularly jump off the top and pretend to fly. Even as old as 9 we were doing this. Definitely a good idea to think about whether your kid is the type to do that.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:21 am
I have 2 bunkbeds in my house. My 6 year old sleeps on one top bed. She loves sleeping there.

suzyq

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 2:06 pm
The warnings on bunk beds say 6 years old. We got a bunk bed when my oldest was 4 - he's totally fine sleeping up there, the railing is very good. The bigger problem is when the kids are awake and think it's a jungle gym.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics