Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Remodeling kitchen on budget (Lakewood)
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:59 am
What is the best way of renovating / upgrading an old kitchen into a kosher-friendly kitchen on a budget. What would the expected price range be?
(In Lakewood)

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:09 am
Are you completely redoing? Cabinets and appliances are the biggest expense. If you keep your old appliances and go with cheap cabinets, depending on the size of the kitchen, it can be about 5-6k for cabinets.

If you are looking to save even more, consider painting your current cabinets. Are they wood? You can also reface cabinets which means, leave the box and get new doors for a completely new look.

Are you doing new floor?

Countertops - formica counter and backsplash come out a bit more than half of the cheapest granite countertops alone. Then tile backsplash costs separately a few hundred.

As you can tell, we recently redid our kitchen on a budget. Total of brand new kitchen was about 13k but we didn't do everything the cheapest, so you might be able to do it for less. Obviously the size of your kitchen will make a huge difference in price. Our kitchen is not huge but not tiny either...

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:34 am
Unsure what the scope is. One idea is just to paint cabinets, replace formica countertop with new formica, replace dishwasher, add a second sink, and possibly some additional cabinets.

Other extreme is completely redo kitchen and possibly get a better layout etc.

I would love to do floor as well - how much does that add?

Where did you do your kitchen?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:38 am
I know my sister recently put in a new kitchen for about 13K and it was not necessarily cheapest, but it was on a budget. She did it with Mr. Naftali as her contractor and I think the place for cabinets was called Lakewood Kitchen and Bath. She put in a vinyl tile floor - wood look - and it's really nice. She got stainless steel appliances from a scratch 'n' dent place for much less $$$. They shopped around - sinks were on sale from home depot. etc....

Last edited by Chayalle on Tue, Feb 21 2017, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

L K

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:37 am
Fyi, if you need to buy some cabinets get a quote on kraftsmaid or whatever the name is from home depot. I have them currently and like the quality, functionality and look. when pricing out hypothetical expansion keaftsmaid came out about half the price of less compared to a popular local store.

You may want to ask a shaila about dishwasher. I personally know a case when a big posek in Lakewood told a lady how to lasher her stainless steel Dw left by previous owners.

Formica vs granite I've been told that granite prices had dropped to the point where it was coming out he same or pretty close to Formica.

If you change flooring and are considering tiles please check how slippery they are and if they attract dirt. On my tiles you can go flying if as much as a drop of water is on the floor. And they're beautiful shiny white. For the two minutes after mopping. Then everything sticks and shows on them like crazy. They were probably intended for a small proper family, not where kids drop and spill food all the time .

See if rather than changing layout you can add useful features like lazy Susan's, pull out shelves etc. or adding smth simple. My kitchen happens to have a relatively small island that is so handy and versatile. From baking to prepping to serving. I would never have thought that it's such a useful piece.

Hatzlacha and have fun!!

Ps and don't listen to anyone who tells you to rip the whole thing out if it disagrees with your budget or taste. I had a designer come down and give me some craziest pricy ideas. Sleep on anything you're unsure about.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
Unsure what the scope is. One idea is just to paint cabinets, replace formica countertop with new formica, replace dishwasher, add a second sink, and possibly some additional cabinets.

Other extreme is completely redo kitchen and possibly get a better layout etc.

I would love to do floor as well - how much does that add?

Where did you do your kitchen?

Cheap linoleum floor would be about 1200 (for our kitchen). We did vinyl tile for 2200. It's very durable. If you don't redo the whole kitchen, definitely do a cheap floor until you're ready to redo everything. Tile floor is also pretty cheap, but I was adamantly against that option.

I don't remember the name of the place, but it's not in Lakewood. Just know that the cheap cabinets are sold all over.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:40 pm
L K wrote:

Formica vs granite I've been told that granite prices had dropped to the point where it was coming out he same or pretty close to Formica.

For us, formica counter and full backsplash was 1300 and granite alone was 2200. Didn't do tile backsplash yet but was told it would be about 6-800 depending on which tile we choose. so that's almost double.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 1:09 pm
I don't know how much this adds to the cost but I have formica going up my blacksplash. I like the clean look. It may be cheaper then tiling the back which comes out expensive for both supplies and labor.l

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 3:15 pm
I also recently put in a kitchen with ekb and was (am) very happy with them and the kitchen. They have cheeper lines and more expensive lines. Their more expensive lines are still cheaper than other places around town.
They are very honest and easy to work with and dont try to sell you the brooklyn bridge.

Express kitchen and bath

Good luck

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 3:37 pm
We recently bought a house and didn't have the money to put in a new kitchen so this what we did
Painted the cabinets
Put in a double sink
New counters
New microwave
New dishwasher
New knobs on the cabinets
It cost us about $1500
Now my kitchen looks really nice & we did on budget.
(In Lakewood)

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 6:59 pm
Wow amother beige , that sounds great! Assuming your counters were laminate ?

Bins

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 7:10 pm
Op please realize that things can get get complicated in a kitchen with sinks, dishwasher, oven/ stove top. You have to have the proper plumbing, gas lines in the corrrct place and a functioning layout. If you are lucky enough to have that, the cheapest way to get a kitchen facelift is paint cabinets, switch to new Formica counters, new knobs, vinyl flooring, if there's room you can purchase a freestanding island, and of course new appliances if you can afford it. Tile on the floor or backsplash is far more because of cost of labor and material. And, I am one, but I anonymously recommend that you hire a decorator for basic guidance.😊

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
Wow amother beige , that sounds great! Assuming your counters were laminate ?

Yes did laminate. Iyh one day we plan on making a bigger kitchen but for now it's looks really good & functions well as a kosher kitchen (we kept the old fridge & stove/oven)
Good luck with everything

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 3:45 am
I did a new kitchen by cabinetics for 7 grand. Excluding appliances. It's a big kitchen. With a peninsula, pullout drawers, lazy Suzan's. The kitchen itself was 7. If u consider that cheap, not too excited about the quality, for this price. My counters also included. Formica

eschaya

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 9:05 am
I'm not in Lakewood, but we just redid the kitchen in our new house.
Are you/dh handy? Because a huge proportion of the cost is the labor, so if either of you (or if you have friends, bochurim who) are handy, you can cut large amounts of the cost by doing some or all of it yourself.
DH together with a friend who used to work as a handyman did a lot of the work (we paid that friend, but cost), so we ended up doing a full remodel for aobut 13K, including new appliances.
Rip out old floor, cabinets, countertop, appliances, drywall, ceiling (whole family adventure)
Install new drywall, raise ceiling (dh and friend)
Put in LED lighting (friend who is an electrician did it for a good price)
Tile floor (hired someone)
New cabinets from Cabinets to Go, when they had a 30% off sale (dh and I assembled them, dh and friend installed)
Granite (from warehouse, they also installed the sink)
New appliances (wait for sale, we did Black Friday at Home depot)
Paint (us)
Chandelier (don't laugh, I really wanted it, got it cheap from China, I had to painstakingly attach each crystal)

Without a contractor, and by substituting yourselves for lots of the labor, you can really cut costs.
Don't know that this can work for everyone, but since we couldn't afford the price a contractor had quoted us (20-30K), we had to find a way to do it ourselves

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
I did a new kitchen by cabinetics for 7 grand. Excluding appliances. It's a big kitchen. With a peninsula, pullout drawers, lazy Suzan's. The kitchen itself was 7. If u consider that cheap, not too excited about the quality, for this price. My counters also included. Formica

Did 7 grand also cover installation? Because I also did my kitchen for about that, about 13 years ago, with Cabinetics....and they did a great job. But I thought prices went up considerably since then.

I'm not sure why I got hugged in this thread...so to whoever hugged me, no need. I have a very nice, very functional kitchen, and I'm very happy for my sis.....

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:27 am
Not including installation. Dh installed. Its a big kitchen. I'm not happy because I have it for 2 yrs and some of the veneer is coming off, places where the knobs are are chipping wood. I got a splinter twice straight in my nail. So not good quality

estibesty

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:09 am
I'm doing granite/or quartz countertops now and I got estimate that it going to cost 7grand for the counters

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:50 am
Chayalle wrote:
Did 7 grand also cover installation? Because I also did my kitchen for about that, about 13 years ago, with Cabinetics....and they did a great job. But I thought prices went up considerably since then.

I'm not sure why I got hugged in this thread...so to whoever hugged me, no need. I have a very nice, very functional kitchen, and I'm very happy for my sis.....

I'm not that amother but it does make sense. The Cheapest line of cabinets has been lately started being built a bit better. Our cabinets including installation and pull-outs, etc. was about 5k. Wooden, 1/2 inch box. Upgraded, soft close hinges.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:51 am
estibesty wrote:
I'm doing granite/or quartz countertops now and I got estimate that it going to cost 7grand for the counters
cheapest granite is 30-35/sq ft installed plus tax. If you have an island that will increase your cost considerably. I have a lot of counter space but no island and like I said before, my granite including installation was 2200.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating