Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Collectors - Solve our disagreement

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 7:51 pm
Tonight, 2 collectors came to the door. In our community, the Vaad gives a teudah, so we really only give "real" money to those with a teudah. We'd live a dollar or two to some without teudot. We also always offer drinks - tea, coffee, water and the use of our bathroom. Tonight, two Israeli men came and my husband offered drinks, etc. and gave money, at which point, one man started arguing with him that it wasn't enough. How ungrateful! And he kept going on and on. It's so rude!

Not 5 minutes later, another man came to our house and I was so annoyed but I just gave him money too. And he was very nice about it. I'm not giving $5, here.... then he proceeds to get into the car with the other two!

These men had teudot which began today. Then my husband and I had a disagreement so I'm asking you for your opinion.

How much are these guys making? I mean, they're coming in from Israel for this so presumably, they have to buy tickets which are expensive. They need a place to live while they are here collecting and food to eat. Also, they pay the people who are driving them around. How much are they making to make this all worth it to come in from EY to do all this?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 7:56 pm
Please don't get me started on this one. I had a huge fight with my mother last week about this. She has nephews that come in constantly from Israel to collect and when I was getting divorced and had no money for lawyers I didn't dear go collect money. I hate this! I hate this!

I knew I should not have started. It's too painful.

Ok now I got my anger out. I do realize has a plan. I don't understand it. Every person gets what is badhert for him. If it's bashert for someone to have then they have it. And it comes hard or easy. If this is how it's badhert for them to get it. Then who am I to say? Give them as much as you can. Tzedaka is a mitzva. Understand it's not an easy one.

Whatever they make it's a grueling torturous thing to do. No one wants to stick out their hands and be the receiver rather we want to be givers.

If I had more I would give. It's definitely one of my nisyonos

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 8:01 pm
They wouldn't do it if it didn't add up. And they stay for a couple of months. And stay by people who are Baalei chesed

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 8:29 pm
As sourstix said, they stay by people who give them food and a room. They come for several months with a goal. Knocking on the average persons door does add up but they get large amounts from some big donors. They travel across the US to collect.

By being pushy and trying to guilt the average person, they hope that instead of $1 you'll give them at least $10....

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 8:32 pm
They come between Chanukah and Purim. Purim is the most important for them. Whatever it is. It's not a fun thing for them. I can't judge them. I'm not perfect either

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
As sourstix said, they stay by people who give them food and a room. They come for several months with a goal. Knocking on the average persons door does add up but they get large amounts from some big donors. They travel across the US to collect.

By being pushy and trying to guilt the average person, they hope that instead of $1 you'll give them at least $10....

We gave them $20 and they wanted $100!

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:55 pm
They make enough money to buy apartments in EY.

I know one guy who raised $75,000 for his chassunah in a few months.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 1:56 am
Don't worry about a shared car. There are guys who hire themselves out to drive them around. They often have a few in the car (and make more per run).
Yes, some are more pushy and rude than others, but it must work sometimes.
Just say, no I have made my decision.
If you invite them in, they feel like they can push for more. So your bathroom and drinks can be encouraging them to push for a bigger check.

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:18 pm
They travel together to save money too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 3:38 am
Squishy wrote:
They make enough money to buy apartments in EY.

I know one guy who raised $75,000 for his chassunah in a few months.
he made 75k just from shnurrering? No words. None.

I think it is completely distasteful. And they come to my home too, in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics