Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What to do when visiting a daughter in seminary in Israel

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 9:01 am
I'm trying to figure out how to plan my time in Israel when I go to visit DD. (BY seminary.) Most probably will be just me, maybe me and DH. I know a lot of people take out their daughter and a bunch of friends to a restaurant and we will spend Shabbos together... How much time will I actually see DD? Do the girls take off school when their parents come? How much time would they take off? Would we take a tour together?
So please tell me, what did you do when you went to visit DD (or if you were in seminary recently, what your parents did with you when they came to see you)? How much time did you get to spend with DD? Ideas for what to do together? What did you do while DD was in school? Thanks!!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 9:26 am
For real insight into her year, go to class with her.
Take her to visit relatives she hasn't met yet.
If you are staying at a hotel or rented apartment, she might just want to come over for a shower.
Ask her - she may surprise you!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:44 am
Thanks. Wow. I didn't know the seminaries let mothers sit on classes. Do all of them do this? Sounds amazing!

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:50 am
My mom came to visit me. We stayed together in an apartment she rented near the school. She went to classes for a few days and then I took a day or two off and we did some touristy things. We spent shabbos together with her friend who she had not seen in a while who lives in Israel. She bought pizza and salad for my whole class and we had dinner together in seminary (she offered to take us all out but this worked out better)

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:05 am
Anyone know if Machon Raaya allows mothers to go to classes?

doctorima

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:41 am
No idea, but why not call and ask? But maybe first ask DD how she would feel about it. I can imagine some girls being okay with, while other might be embarrassed and uncomfortable.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 12:27 pm
I wouldn't have her take off class.
She should have free time in the afternoon and probably at least a few nights that she could go out to eat with you or something.

mominIsrael4

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 12:45 pm
We've hosted many friends whose daughters were in seminary - depends on how much your daughter is "into" her classes and how flexible the seminary is. Most mom's didn't want to interrupt a daughter's schedule but enjoyed any free time and Shabbos.

syrima

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 2:26 pm
My daughter's BY sem let her officially take off 2 days of classes when parents came in.
Also find out what days are less classes where she has the afternoon off to do chessed.
I stayed at a hotel in Yerushalayim, dd would come and meet me and sleep over.
We went out to dinner together most nights, we took her roommates to lunch.
We went shopping in Ben Yehuda, went to the Kosel, visited relatives, did more shopping, went on a tiyul with the seminary. On the days that dd had to attend class I went shopping for gifts to bring home, visited old friends, went to the kosel, visited my old sem.
The time flies, really! Wink

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:04 pm
First find out what your daughter wants.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
First find out what your daughter wants.

She's interested in hearing ideas of what others have done. Hence my post.

pond user

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:27 pm
Do parents really do this? Gosh I'd think at 18 let them be for a few months without flying out to see them no? Just my opinion but then my kids are still young. ..

indianamom5

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:38 pm
I went to visit my daughter in Machon Raaya this year and the staff was so nice! We were there during her vacation so I don't know their policy about mothers join in class, but you should go and meet them. I loved meeting the people that my daughter has contact with all the time, plus they usually have lots of nachas stories! Enjoy your visit!

cm

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:41 pm
pond user wrote:
Do parents really do this? Gosh I'd think at 18 let them be for a few months without flying out to see them no? Just my opinion but then my kids are still young. ..

Seminary is a full school year.

It is not unusual for parents to make a mid-year trip.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:48 pm
indianamom5 wrote:
I went to visit my daughter in Machon Raaya this year and the staff was so nice! We were there during her vacation so I don't know their policy about mothers join in class, but you should go and meet them. I loved meeting the people that my daughter has contact with all the time, plus they usually have lots of nachas stories! Enjoy your visit!

Thanks! Can I ask what you did together?

indianamom5

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:26 pm
We mostly visited friends and relatives and we did a lot of walking around. I was there with my baby so a stroller restricted us from any major tiyulim. I just wanted to hang out with her for the most part. It was fun to see her classroom and dorm and meet the friends that were around. Plus she got to bond with the baby who she misses like crazy! Enjoy!

BubbyinBeitar

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 12:50 pm
Go to the kotel. Go SHopping. DO a tour of Jerusalem Artzeinu has some very good ones. Also there are excellent private tour guides like Avi Flax, Ari Salmon, etc That are frum and can plan a trip that will be meaningful to you. Ride the train.Get a book about the Streets in Jerusalem and learn what each of them are about. Most of all enjoy your time together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics