Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why are rich people hated?
Previous  1  2  3

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Like I said above, people are nicer to (or fascinated by Confused ) wealthy people.
Don't know if you were serious, but it's really obvious IRL when people become friends with you because they want to know the answers to questions like this. Imagine someone at work was super nice to you and when you finally go out together she spends the entire time grilling you about orthodox customs Rolling Eyes 'so you HAVE to move your beds apart?? Omg. What about a kiss? What if you're really sad? Wow. So everyone you know does this? What if you don't do it? What if you try?' Arggh.
Anyway, you can use your own imagination to answer all those questions. What would you do if you got a pesach vacation as a gift? How would you decide where to go? Would you want someone else toilet training your kid? Would you want a nanny? Do you wish to inject your face with a substance that freezes your natural face into a surprised expression forever?
I may have been kidding. I have plenty of well off friends, although I am not friends with Ivanka Trump in real life, sadly.
Kind of like when I answered my IQ is 75 in the IQ thread. I was just being funny.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 1:39 pm
Sadie wrote:
Because all wealth is actually built on the backs of the exploited proletariat.

I hope your not serious. Most people are not wealthy because they took advantage of poor people unless they were involved in a ponziescheme out our such scam . Learn some economics. That attitude comes from pure jealousy.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 1:47 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I may have been kidding. I have plenty of well off friends, although I am not friends with Ivanka Trump in real life, sadly.
Kind of like when I answered my IQ is 75 in the IQ thread. I was just being funny.

Okay, my apologies! And Ivanka T would be lucky to be friends with you Wink
I took you way too seriously! I was just having this conversation with a friend because her dh's business rocketed over the last two years and he suddenly became very relevant in shul. We've been friends for years and she was always an outsider as was her dh...people just didn't give them time even after many years in the neighborhood. She has a bad taste in her mouth now from people who wouldn't say hi to her for years and suddenly want to know all about how her baby's doing and what salad dressing she uses and where she'll be this summer Mad . Seeing the fake/using side of people makes your heart sink a bit because you don't know who your real friends are. Anyway...I should've known from your other posts that you're not that shallow and you were kidding around.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 2:40 pm
I live in the 5towns and I think what creates alot of the jealousy here is that there are so many young people, say under 40, who are living wealthy lives with family money. I think it adds to the resentment/jealousy if its a young person who didn't even have to sweat in medical or law school many years to earn their wealth. Instead they were just handed a spankim brand new million dollar 6 bedroom house when they had their second kid. I'm not saying it's right but I admit that I see many of those families here and I can't help but be a little jealous.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
I live in the 5towns and I think what creates alot of the jealousy here is that there are so many young people, say under 40, who are living wealthy lives with family money. I think it adds to the resentment/jealousy if its a young person who didn't even have to sweat in medical or law school many years to earn their wealth. Instead they were just handed a spankim brand new million dollar 6 bedroom house when they had their second kid. I'm not saying it's right but I admit that I see many of those families here and I can't help but be a little jealous.

I really can't understand this jealousy. Why does it matter to you how someone got something? They aren't taking anything away from you. What should they do differently?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
I really can't understand this jealousy. Why does it matter to you how someone got something? They aren't taking anything away from you. What should they do differently?

Jealousy doesn't stem from someone "taking something from another person" as you indicate in your post. They shouldn't do anything differently. They are doing pretty much what I would be doing if someone handed me an unlimited credit line. I feel jealous because they have it so much easier than I do. I know, I know, I don't see what problems their dealing with.

boysrus

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 3:46 pm
really confused by the original post.
why would you think that poeple hate rich people, OP?

Personally I am far from rich in possessions and money, but am rich in other ways BH. I am blessed wiht children, just about enough parnasa to make it through each month, and a happy life BH. I have never hated or disliked people who are rich, nor have I ever felt jealous of them. I am happy with my life BH. I guess it would be easier to have abit more available cash, but at least this way I have hte pleasure of saving up for things tht I want and the feeling of satisfaction when I have saved up enough.

so why do you think people hate rich people, OP? Confused

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 3:55 pm
boysrus wrote:
really confused by the original post.
why would you think that poeple hate rich people, OP?

Personally I am far from rich in possessions and money, but am rich in other ways BH. I am blessed wiht children, just about enough parnasa to make it through each month, and a happy life BH. I have never hated or disliked people who are rich, nor have I ever felt jealous of them. I am happy with my life BH. I guess it would be easier to have abit more available cash, but at least this way I have hte pleasure of saving up for things tht I want and the feeling of satisfaction when I have saved up enough.

so why do you think people hate rich people, OP? Confused

I don't think the op truly meant "hate". More like a little resentful. Also, there is a bigger tendency to feel bad about a wealthy person if there are many. In other words if their is a community of 200 families and 2 of them are wealthy, I can see the other 198 not feeling so bad. On the other hand if 75 are wealthy and 125 middle class, I can see the middle clasd feeling a little inferior. I got engaged when I was 24. I was the last of my close friends to get married. Do you think as one after the other as they were getting engaged I was feeling.... I'm so happy for them! I'm officially the last girl left. Yay me!!! In truth misery loves company and I felt terrible when they got engaged.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
Jealousy doesn't stem from someone "taking something from another person" as you indicate in your post. They shouldn't do anything differently. They are doing pretty much what I would be doing if someone handed me an unlimited credit line. I feel jealous because they have it so much easier than I do. I know, I know, I don't see what problems their dealing with.

I still don't get it. Why are people resentful when others have and they don't? They didn't do anything to be born into wealth. You can wish you had more but what does it have to do with what anyone else has?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:16 pm
I did not read through all the replies, just responding to original question. I have wealthy parents but am not specifically wealthy myself. I have some wealthy friends. I don't think it has much to do with being wealthy as much as the feeling of entitlement that some wealthy people give off. I know some wonderful wealthy people and some that are quite nasty. And when people don't like them they blame it all on people being jealous of what the have. No one is jealous of them. People just get really nervous from them that they think they're so great because of it and expect people to be drooling over them. Ultimately people like nice people and don't like nasty people.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 5:19 pm
jealousy.

I have a friend who married very wealthy and lives so differently then the rest of us now and how she grew up. People do say very nasty things about her behind her back and I can't figure out why. She loves to spend money on others - buys nice baby presents for everybody - the type of stretchies I would never dream of buying but love putting on my baby - or when she makes a simcha she goes all out - and I know it is because she really wants to give her friends and family a glorious night out - but I know others take it a very different way and will talk down about everything she does.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics