Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Diaper rash or yeast infection?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:26 pm
My 1yo baby has had a rash by her diaper area for the past few days. I put on desitin and I thought it was going away, but it hasn't. It has not gotten worse baruch Hashem, but it's not getting better. It doesn't seem to bother her at all during the day, aside from diaper changing time and bath time (in neither situation has it sent her to tears, but she holds onto her skin down there). She has a doctor's appt on Monday. Is it ok to wait until then? Or should I try to take her in earlier during walk in hours? I mean, I work tomorrow, and Shabbos is coming, so by earlier I kinda mean Sunday...but if ppl here will say it's more likely a yeast infection or something of the sort that should b treated, I'd definitely bring her in earlier.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:28 pm
And btw as far as what it looks like, I'd say it petty much looks like a regular diaper rash (it's mostly the front area) with a few raised little red bumps scattered around.

lucky14

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:16 pm
can't you call them up and ask? I've done that before about stuff and they told me if I should come in or not.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:35 pm
A diaper rash that isn't going away and has red bumps is probably a yeast rash. It's not dangerous just it might get worse. You can call your doctor and ask what antifungal cream he recommends. Some prescribe a powder with nystatin mixed in which is good.
Yeast overgrowth originates internally so you should give her daily probiotics along with applying the anti fungal cream from the doctor so that you get to the source of the yeast overgrowth.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:40 pm
It can be yeast (the dots) but have you tried the purple extra strength desitin? I find that it works in literally a few applications and rash gets better overnight ..... if that's not working I would say go to the dr so you can get a good cream if it's yeast

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:46 pm
And if it is a yeast rash they can be insanely itchy

L K

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:49 pm
In such cases I've used potato starch. It works better than baby powder to keep the area dry, works better than any type of desitin, soothes the area, brings down irritation and swelling.

If you can't find potato starch corn would be second choice but potato is way better.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:57 am
My babies get horrible rashes for a couple days before a tooth comes in. Have you checked her gums?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics