Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
How long will food in oven stay hot for?

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:16 pm
I want to turn the oven off before candlighting and keep roast potatoes in it until the meal - never done it this way before. We often eat late so I want to know how many hours will the food stay warm for? Thanks!

tichellady

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:32 pm
Depends on your oven- in my oven food doesn't stay hot for more than 30 minutes, so that's not an option for shabbos for me.

shaini

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 5:11 am
as tichellady says it depends on the oven. In my fairly new electric Siemens which is built in the food will stay hot for approx. 1 hour but roast potatoes will go soft so not as nice. Something good to do for other foods like meat or a container of soup etc (obviously with the oven turned off) is to wrap them in foil and a towel and the stay hotter for long.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 1:25 pm
I put my pan of chicken in to bake 1hr before shabbos. Turn it off and cover it at candle lighting. It has steam rising from it when I remove it to serve. I use Pyrex.
We usually get to chicken about two hrs. after I turn off the oven.

m in Israel

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 3:48 pm
I raise the temperature on my oven to 250C (about 480F) a few minutes before licht bentching (with all the food already hot in the oven) and then shut it off right before I bentch. When I do that I have no problem with the food staying hot for quite a few hours (like 2 to 3 hours for sure).

Fabulous

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 4:57 pm
m in Israel wrote:
I raise the temperature on my oven to 250C (about 480F) a few minutes before licht bentching (with all the food already hot in the oven) and then shut it off right before I bentch. When I do that I have no problem with the food staying hot for quite a few hours (like 2 to 3 hours for sure).

I just did similar to this. I raided the temp for a few min after the oven was already and the food was hot. It stayed for like 3 hours till we ate

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 6:08 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I turned it up to 500F for a few mins before candlelighting then turned it off, and the potatoes were warm enough 3.6 hours later when we got to them. However, they had gone soft as someone mentioned. Any ideas how to prevent this next time?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus