Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent for one: is there such a thing? (please help)

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 6:24 pm
For many years, I have had an on again off again relationship with cholent. There are times that I can tolerate it, and have a bit, and there are some times that I just take one look at it, and I just can't bring myself to eat it. (No, I am not pregnant.)

I have noticed that my husband is basically the only one in the house who wants to eat cholent, and that is it. As a result, we have leftovers for days, and nobody wants it, but we are forced to eat it.

I try switching recipes a lot, but bottom line, cholent is cholent, and I just don't want any leftovers. I try to make the recipe small, but it just never works out. Is it possible to have a recipe of "cholent for one?" That way my husband can eat it on Shabbos, and I don't have to be burdened by it all week.

(please, no hot dogs in the recipe.)

Thanks.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 6:32 pm
I make a cholent for 2 (took me long enough to figure out how) and never have leftovers b"h. I think the smaller it is the better it tastes

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 6:34 pm
Can you make your normal recipe and give most of it away to a neighbour with hungry teenage boys who love cholent?

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 6:36 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Can you make your normal recipe and give most of it away to a neighbour with hungry teenage boys who love cholent?

Someone in my town has a cholent gemach. Don't ask.

r1

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 6:42 pm
They sell tiny crockpots
I would just make smaller proportions of his fave recipe

DallasIma

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 6:44 pm
In our 2-person household, I'm usually the only one who eats cholent. So I use a very small crockpot. If there are leftovers anyway, a lot of times I'll just freeze them and reuse them for another cholent or for a midweek meal if I feel like it.

cm

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 7:04 pm
Keep in mind that if your crockpot is not full enough, the food is more likely to burn. I usually use a 2 1/2 quart crock pot - smaller than average - for my small family. We often have leftovers to finish on Sunday, but it is not overwhelming. We have different kinds of soups and vegetarian stews, not cholent per se, so no specific recipe suggestions.

I also have a 1-quart crock pot but find it gets too hot. YMMV. Experiment a little with the equipment you have available.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 7:08 pm
Make a small chulent in a small crockpot or make arrangements with a neighbor to send over one portion of their chulent every Shabbos.

PassionFruit

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 7:15 pm
We do a cholent for one (my dh) every week. We have a tiny crock pot and put it: handful of barley, small potato, one drumstick of chicken, chopped onion, squirt ketchup, paprika, onion powder, garlic, handful beans, covered with water.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:18 pm
How about partially cooking Cholent for however many, then dividing it into portions , freezing, and then finish cooking one portion per week? Get your beef cut into cubes and add it last, one or a few cubes in each packet depending on the size of the cubes ? Or if you're of the ilk that puts raw cholent on the blech at Licht benchen and leaves it till Shabbat day, assemble your cholent, divide it raw into individual portions, freeze them, and take out one portion each week to cook.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:33 pm
PassionFruit wrote:
We do a cholent for one (my dh) every week. We have a tiny crock pot and put it: handful of barley, small potato, one drumstick of chicken, chopped onion, squirt ketchup, paprika, onion powder, garlic, handful beans, covered with water.

I do similarly as DH is the only one here who eats it. I use a 2½ qt. crockpot. I use a chicken breast (DH's preference) or a few cubes of beef; some chopped onion, a small potato quartered, 2 tablespoons barley, a few beans, seasonings and water to barely cover. DH loves it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:45 pm
I bought a 1.5 quart crock for my mom and it's a much loved item for many years already. You can definitely make cholent for one.

Debbie

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:37 pm
In my house it's only really my husband who eats the cholent, I make a normal sized one and then divide it up into small freezable containers, if potatoes are liked in cholent best to add those later.potatoes don't tend to freeze too well I find. I usually only have to make cholent once a month.

shaini

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 8:37 am
I agree with ra_mon and OOTBubby. Use a 1.5 litre crockpot. You can even use it with an oven bag as opposed to the crockpot bags as oven bags are smaller. Cut up about 2 large potatoes and depending on amount of beans/barley the person likes - use anything up to 1/4 cup. I use either a very small onion or half a large one. I put in large squirt of BBQ sauce and a few dollops of ready prepared mustard and then sprinkle on top paprika but main thing is to use just a smaller amount of your normal flavourings. Also a small quantity of meat. Amount of water depends on how liquidy a cholent is liked. The cholent comes out fine.

shaini

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 8:39 am
I agree with ra_mon and OOTBubby. Use a 1.5 litre crockpot. You can even use it with an oven bag as opposed to the crockpot bags as oven bags are smaller. Cut up about 2 large potatoes and depending on amount of beans/barley the person likes - use anything up to 1/4 cup. I use either a very small onion or half a large one. I put in large squirt of BBQ sauce and a few dollops of ready prepared mustard and then sprinkle on top paprika but main thing is to use just a smaller amount of your normal flavourings. Also a small quantity of meat. Amount of water depends on how liquidy a cholent is liked. The cholent comes out fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus