Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Those who eat organic food:

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:13 am
Do u eat all produce or only the dirty dozen?
What about meat/poultry etc?
I'm on a clean eating plan due to fatty liver and am eating tons of raw fruits and vegetables. I'm contemplating switching to organic as that may be more helpful to my diet but am concerned about not being able to afford it. ( As is, a healthy eating plan is VERY expensive).
Would like to hear people's experience!
Thank you!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:27 am
I live in an area where organic produce is readily available and not very expensive. Depending on the season, there is about a 6 to 9 cents per pound difference between organic and regular, yams, potatoes, carrots and onions. Chard, kale, mustard, and spinach cost the same as conventional here.

There is a bigger difference on fruit out of season, that's about 20 cents a pound more.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:33 am
Trader Joe's has good prices for organic produce.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:41 am
My experience in Israel, is that when you buy organic, you're buying more bugs than you are produce! shock Not to mention that the selection is really small, and you never know what they are going to get in, or when it will arrive.

Now I compromise, and try to get greenhouse or hydroponic produce when possible (for green leafy stuff.) Otherwise, I soak everything in several changes of water, and scrub things really well. Produce here generally comes with the field dirt still attached.

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:50 am
I buy organic when the price difference is not big. I think we'd be better off doing it for everything but it's just too much for me. Shoprite often has a decent selection of organic produce in the same price range as regular. I also try to be more careful not specifically of the dirty dozen but in general things that are known to be more vulnerable including present and past dirty dozens but I don't hold strictly to that list because sometimes those are the things that are harder to find. Basically I'm not very systematic about this...

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:15 pm
Costs also has great prices on organic. They have tons of frozen organic fruits.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 9:51 pm
Thank you all for your replies.
So here's my question: how does organic circle compare price wise to let's say shop rite or trader Joe's? I don't drive and do not live close by. I need a place that can deliver... Does bingo sell organic? They're pretty close by.( Haven't ever been there yet though)

lifesagift

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:34 pm
I doubt bingo carries organic products but I believe other large supermarkets like Landau's or gourmet glatt do. U can compare prices n order online, they deliver (I believe bingo doesn't). I hear Organic circle is a good choice

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:10 am
dirty dozen?

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:48 am
It's a list of fruits and vegetables that contain the most pesticides: http://vitals.lifehacker.com/w.....90822

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:49 pm
some of my family members do eat mostly raw fruits/veg & minimal amount of animal products on shabbos. as far as organic, it is very costly!! one member in particular is more makpid on organic, but otherwise the others eat non-organic. from my understanding fruits/veg with thicker peels isnt as necessary to use organic; but like tomatoes, apples & the like with thinner skin--should use organic.
but if it's too costly, the main thing, I believe is that you are eating healthier. so start with what you are able to & see how you feel & go from there. lots of luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking