Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you only use Kosher dish soap?
Previous  1  2

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:52 am
seeker wrote:
This is so confusing to me. Is there an actual difference? They can't just call their stuff soap or detergent at whim? Never mind that whatever-it-is only touches your dishes for a few seconds and then gets rinsed off and goes down the drain...

I'm not sure, I didn't bother doing more research since it's so easy to get dish soap with a hechsher on it.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:25 am
What about dishwasher detergent tablets? Mine are these, which are not kosher certified: http://methodhome.com/products.....tabs/

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:30 am
I only use dish soap with a hechsher. I wash my dishes with very hot water and would not want any non kosher ingredients on my dishes/silverware. Of course I know that it's not edible ... but it's so easy to find with a hechsher, so why not?

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:14 am
Yes, but only because B"H you practically have to go out of your way to get dishwash that's NOT kosher. Why would I buy without a hechsher if hechshered is readlily available and no more costly? I'd rather reward the company that bothers to get a hechsher.

mille

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:19 am
It's soap. I don't eat it. It doesn't need a hechsher.

Having a hechsher on soap is 100% kashrut politics and 100% a marketing scam.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:32 am
seeker wrote:
This is so confusing to me. Is there an actual difference? They can't just call their stuff soap or detergent at whim? Never mind that whatever-it-is only touches your dishes for a few seconds and then gets rinsed off and goes down the drain...

Soap and detergent are different.

Soap is made from reacting a fat with lye (sodium or potassium hydroxide). The product molecules have a fat- grabbing end to bind to greasy dirt, and a water- grabbing end to get washed away in the rinse.

Detergents also have a water- grabbing end and a fat-grabbing end, and they work much the same way. But instead of fat and lye, they are made of synthetic products of petroleum and acids.

Detergents are more effective than soaps. However, they can be harsher on skin, and most are not as biodegradable. Soap tends to form scrum in hard water because the water- grabbing end of soap molecules also bonds to minerals in hard water, forming scum. Detergents don't form scum when they bond with minerals.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:14 pm
How about a kitchen table or kitchen counters, do you use only OU products to clean? I usually use Glass Plus, which has an OU but there are times I use Lysol spray or Windex and they don't have a hechsher. Does anybody know if that's OK?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
How about a kitchen table or kitchen counters, do you use only OU products to clean? I usually use Glass Plus, which has an OU but there are times I use Lysol spray or Windex and they don't have a hechsher. Does anybody know if that's OK?

It sounds like you're looking for trouble. The way halacha works is that everything is allowed unless specifically forbidden.

Not only do you not eat cleaning products, they're poison.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:20 pm
I never would have thought of all these things.

Of course I would use soap without a hechsher. And any cleaning agents.

There is no halachic problem with them nowadays.

Mrs. Annie

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:39 pm
I don't think mine has a hechsher. I also found this on twitter

Another mom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
I consider myself middle in terms of yeshivish or modern. Someone in my circle mentioned that she only uses kosher dish soap. I never even considered this and assumed it wad only done in the ultra yeshivish/chadidish crowd. Do you only use kosher dish soap and how frum are you?

Sure! You use it with boiling water so it's like cooking, no?
I'm DL- not ultra but certainly halachik! WHy not use only kosher soap? To me it's basic.. Cleaning the table is NOT the same thing!!

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:43 pm
cleaning the table is probably not the same, there is no hot water involved and windex I will assume doesnt have lye in it. or lard for that matter. it has acid and dangerous stuff. so I use fantastic on my table sometimes. or on my counter.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:51 pm
Actually, Windex (TM) is mostly ammonia.

What really perplexes me is why anyone would look for a hechsher on laundry detergent. Even back in the day when people boiled their white laundry in a vat on the stove--I vaguely recall my mother stirring it with a repurposed mop handle--they used a dedicated cauldron, not their soup pot.

Water Stones

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:06 pm
My sil bought me when I got married a funny gift 25 bottles of Dawn because I don't have a dishwashing machine.

So I still use Dawn.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 2:54 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
It is really unbelievable how Dawn (particularly, the blue, original kind) is so much better than others (and for anything requiring grease removal, not just dishes).

Am I the only one who prefers Palmolive over Dawn?

And I am only comfortable using soaps with a hechsher in my kitchen. There are so many, why should I davka go for one without and have to rely on heterim?

I am makpid on having a heimish hechsher on the food items I use, but when it comes to soap, an OU is fine with me. And those are so much better than the heimish ones, you can't compare.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics