Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Adult and Ped CPR/AED class gift

Water Stones

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 4:07 pm
How would you feel if you receive a Red Cross gift certificate for Adult and Ped CPR/AED class that will make you certified in one day for a 5 hours class?

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 5:13 pm
It depends. Did youwant to take the class but couldn't afford it? Great gift! Creative and much appreciated! Did you argue with the giver that you saw no need for this skill while they argued that you must have it? Was this person your micromanaging mil, demanding dh or bossy big sister? Maybe not so much appreciated. Was this person your aging mom hoping you might be able to help her if ch"v she needed it, or concerned about your dc and wanting you to have a skill that might save a life?

No matter what you think of this as a gift--maybe what you really wanted was a gold necklace or a vacuum cleaner--take the class. The giver is right, it's a skill everyone should learn. The loved one you save may be your own.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 5:22 pm
What imamothers think of this gift is irrelevant; what do YOU think of it? Or are you planning to give it to someone else and looking for validation that it's a good gift?

Water Stones

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:09 pm
I plan to give it to my sil who has ton of jewelry perfume clothes everything. She never said she wants the class, but I think she will like it. Dh says it's not a good gift for a birthday. I would like it for a gift. I'm looking for validation.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 10:34 am
Not knowing your sil I don't think anyone could say whether she would like it or not. It's certainly a generous gift as these classes are not cheap. It's also creative and you know she won't get three others just like it. Has she shown any interest in safety or first aid? has she ever said anything about wishing she knew what to do in an emergency or feeling useless when someone was hurt?

Does your dh feel it's inappropriate to the occasion, or does he think it's just not a good gift for the person no matter what the occasion? As to the occasion, who cares? Gifts don't have to be covered in stickers that say "Birthday Gift!", nor do they have to be the traditional, trite stuff people always give. The sticking point is whether or not it's something your sil will appreciate. Does she get a choice of locations and dates, or is it for a specific time and location? Because if she can't choose but is locked in to a certain time and place, what are you going to do if it's not convenient for her?

Does your sil have the time and the sitzfleisch to sit through a five hour class? Granted you don't just sit around, because the class is quite physical, but not everyone can sit through a class that long even when you do move around a lot.

Really, you have to know the person very well. If you can't get someone to spy her out and report back to you, you could say to her in the course of conversation "If you had the opportunity to take this class and you wouldn't have to pay for it yourself, would you take it?" Or be daring and ask your sil directly. It would spoil the surprise but you wouldn't risk getting her something she wouldn't use.

Kudos on thinking out of the box and wanting to give your sil something so important.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 3:44 pm
it's a nice class to take together ... however, giving it as a present can be like getting a frying pan for your birthday and/or an underhanded way of hinting that she isn't a good mother

Water Stones

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 3:57 pm
Thank you for the advice. It's something I want to learn and I thought it would be a good gift for her too instead of something that come in a box.

I'll think of something else!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics