Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Missing work for purim play
Previous  1  2  3

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My kids only have one aunt, and she lives several hours away. Down the street from their only remaining grandmother. We once invited a lovely neighbor to grandparents' day, so my DD wouldn't feel left out.

Schools need to understand that not every kid has massive close family.

It's not the school I care about. I care about the kid who's mommy or daddy didn't show up to his play.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:11 pm
My girls had mid winter vacation 3 weeks ago. Last week the school had in-service day, another day off. Tomorrow is my dd's performance, another 2 hours, between the traveling back and forth and the performance. How much work can I miss?? I get paid by the hour and we're now behind on a few bills because I missed so much work. They need to figure out a better solution. It would definitely help if performances were first thing in the morning.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:52 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Not in my kids school. There is no such a thing as missing a child's play. If the mom can't come, the grandma or the aunt or the father comes.

That's great if you live near family. Our relatives are 3 states away!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:57 pm
oliveoil wrote:
It's ridiculous. The performances on school days should be first thing in the morning. It's one thing to come into work an hour or two late, it's entirely different to take a chunk out of the middle of the day.

And honestly, most of these plays are not all that much fun or beneficial for the kids. They're often a show case for the teachers.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I am with olive oil. My daughter's school has a purim program one day next week FROM 10-11AM!! So I have to bring my kids at 8:30, drive 30 minutes to work, arrive at 9am, leave at 930am, drive back, go to the program, then drive back again for 30 minutes and get back to work at 11:30am?
It is so impractical!! Why can't it be at 9am? I realize the kids need some transition time... so fine, ask us to wait until 9am. Then have it 9-10. That would be doable.

But, the way it is, I can't do it. I am a therapist and I work in one school in the morning and one in the afternoon. I have to see all my morning students before 11 (some by 11:30) bc I can't get them during lunch or recess. Going to this would mean that I would not get back until the students are unavailable. I would miss all my students at that entire school -and I don't go back there until the next week. I can't do that. I am going to email the coordinator and let her know it is a very hard time of day and I hope there are special activities for students who don't have a parent there.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:36 pm
A few points.
My son's gratuation from kindergarten last year was at 9.15 am. We all waited outside while they got ready. (They started at 9) ot was great.
Dd had a Chanukah event smack on middle of the day and they asked no babies to come. Well....I had a 3 month old who I take to work with me.I happen to work down the block from the school and had no where to leave him. I spoke to the teachers the day before and let them know my baby will come. Bh it was fine. They were ok with it.

I have a coworker who used to work in Manhattan and missed every. Single. School. Play. (Didn't get home till kids were on bed)
She changed to my office last year. She said she was amazed that at the interview boss told her that if there is a school event that she needs to go to for her child. She can take off some time and if it's a busy time make up the hours. She was sooooo grateful and has bh need able to go to her children's events

Bh I work for family who is very understanding so I have no issues going to school functions but it is annoying when they r smack in middle of the day.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics