Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Vegetarian Dairy Shabbat Ideas?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:00 pm
If / when you serve a dairy vegetarian shabbos meal, what are your go-to main dishes? I'll kick things off, one favorite around here is a cheese soufflé.

(P.S. I did look for other threads, but the ones I found were focused on feeding one vegetarian guest at a meat meal)

water_bear88

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:18 pm
Lasagna, particularly in the winter. If there's a really hot Shabbos in the summer we've occasionally done more of a cold spread with a few salads, some fancier cheeses than we'd buy for weekday and maybe an artisanal bread as an alternative to Challah. (I know it sounds more Seudah-Shlishit-like, but I'm talking about the weeks that at 10:30 in the morning it's already 95+ and it's the third day in a row with such temperatures so the AC just isn't cutting it.)

And whatever you go with, I think the best part of a dairy Shabbos meal is usually the dessert. If you're going healthy, peaches or berries with real cream, otherwise the sky's the limit. Oh, and everything tastes better baked with butter instead of margarine.

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:25 pm
Greek salad, Caesar salad, real mac and cheese, honey lime tofu with mango, lentil rice cheddar bake, quiches, scalloped potatoes

challahchallah

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:25 pm
Lasagna, real mac and cheese, and quiches make frequent appearances at our house too--all delicious. Tichellady, I'm intrigued by this lentil rice cheddar bake; would you mind sharing the recipe?

And water_bear, I agree with you about the desserts! I always feel a little bad hearing people talk about the struggles of parev baking Wink

SJcookie

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:31 pm
Jachnun, Borekas, brown eggs (+grated tomatoes & gevina levana)
Super yummy (and fattening).

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 6:06 pm
This is the recipe- I adapt mine it a bit because I use sprouted lentils, and short grain brown rice, red pepper and much less cheese (and I use cheddar chipotle cheese)

https://www.fromachefskitchen......bake/

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 6:08 pm
You can also do chickpea salad with Parmasean, soups in the crockpot (onion, mushroom barley, lentil, split pea), fresh rolls (Vietnamese) with peanut dipping sauce, taco or burrito bar,

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 6:12 pm
Oh also eggplant Parmasean and zuchinni rice gratin (sounds weird but we really like it)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals