Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When does a kid need ot

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:01 pm
My toddler has been sensory since he was born, and I have strong sensory issues. He only will wear cotton, soft t shirt like material. Whenever we are outside he covers his ears because "the wind will hurt him." He is a very picky eater and always wants me to rub his back. He goes nuts when I cut his hair.
Otherwise, he is easy going, sweet, and a really great, smart kid.
Does every sensory kid need OT, or do some grow out of it? Is there a level that is fine and normal? He is 2.5

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:05 pm
As a school psychologist and special education teacher. I think the basic answer is that it all depends on the child's functioning. Sensory alone won't qualify for services. If the kid is able to sit and learn, then no intervention is necessary--by an outsider. You can do things to address his sensory needs--by providing the stimulation he needs, or reducing the irritants. I know myself that I have sensory needs, but I can get through my work day and wear clothing--so I don't NEED OT.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:12 pm
As an ot I would say at this age why not get him OT

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:47 pm
I'm an OT weighing in as well. I would recommend OT for him, because it would alleviate his stress by resetting his neurological and sensory systems.
For example, I have sensory processing disorder, and two of my children have sensory processing disorder. I am so happy that I was able to provide treatment for my children. I am able to overcome it, but the sensory issues really add stress to my life.

Imagine sitting next to someone who is doing something annoying to you (fingers on chalkboard, biting their nails, cracking their knuckles, fidgeting, etc). When that happens, even if you were relaxing before they started, slowly, over time, you may find yourself gaining less and less out of your relaxing time. You may even ask them to stop.

For me and others with sensory processing disorder, these "annoyances" are all around us every day. Loud noises, bright lights, scratchy clothing, etc. are constantly raising our levels of cortisol until we are overloaded. Now, take into account some natural stressors of the day. It is only natural that the individual will be less patient or will be more anxious.

If, however, you treat the sensory processing disorder while the child is young, preferably starting before the age of three, you may be able to stop the annoyances from being annoying. This will give your child more opportunity for a successful life.

The best situation would be to have it covered under your insurance.
The next best option would be to pay for it if you can afford it.
If not, I would hire an OT to evaluate your child's needs, and create a plan of care for you. Have the OT coach you on what your child needs, and how to know when to come back to her for an upgrade in the therapy. Based on her recommendations, you will be able to find cheaper options for the same input. (indoor and outdoor playgrounds, buy your own equipment).

That being said, if it doesn't impede his function, and you can't afford to pay for therapy, you are NOT a bad mother for not providing him with OT.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 3:13 pm
I didn't have my sensory issues treated as a child. I think this was the biggest mistake in my upbringing. It still affects so many things in my day to day life. Please take him for OT - why let him suffer when he could be better?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm an OT weighing in as well. I would recommend OT for him, because it would alleviate his stress by resetting his neurological and sensory systems.
For example, I have sensory processing disorder, and two of my children have sensory processing disorder. I am so happy that I was able to provide treatment for my children. I am able to overcome it, but the sensory issues really add stress to my life.

Imagine sitting next to someone who is doing something annoying to you (fingers on chalkboard, biting their nails, cracking their knuckles, fidgeting, etc). When that happens, even if you were relaxing before they started, slowly, over time, you may find yourself gaining less and less out of your relaxing time. You may even ask them to stop.

For me and others with sensory processing disorder, these "annoyances" are all around us every day. Loud noises, bright lights, scratchy clothing, etc. are constantly raising our levels of cortisol until we are overloaded. Now, take into account some natural stressors of the day. It is only natural that the individual will be less patient or will be more anxious.

If, however, you treat the sensory processing disorder while the child is young, preferably starting before the age of three, you may be able to stop the annoyances from being annoying. This will give your child more opportunity for a successful life.

If not, I would hire an OT to evaluate your child's needs, and create a plan of care for you. Have the OT coach you on what your child needs, and how to know when to come back to her for an upgrade in the therapy. Based on her recommendations, you will be able to find cheaper options for the same input. (indoor and outdoor playgrounds, buy your own equipment).

That being said, if it doesn't impede his function, and you can't afford to pay for therapy, you are NOT a bad mother for not providing him with OT.

Another OT chiming in here. I could have written this myself (and would have, if she didn't beat me to it 😉).

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:26 pm
we do not have extra money, we are on medicaid. does medicaid cover ot? if so, can I choose the therapist? should I call an ot and ask if they take medicaid? sorry if I sound dumb, ive never done this before.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
we do not have extra money, we are on medicaid. does medicaid cover ot? if so, can I choose the therapist? should I call an ot and ask if they take medicaid? sorry if I sound dumb, ive never done this before.

I don't know how it works outside of NYC, but if you are in NYC, I know that United health care community plan provides good compensation with no limit. Meaning with a prescription from the doctor, your child can be seen twice a week in a sensory gym for as long as it takes (at least two years).

Again, if you don't live in NYC, (and you find out that insurance works differently in your area) don't give up! There are other options that involve you learning and doing more.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:25 pm
I'm the OP of an older thread about my 10 year old starting OT.
I ignored my sons sensory issues when he was little, but now they are interfering with his daily life so we started OT.
Please get your child OT when he is little! I so wish I could go back in time and do that.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:

Another OT here. It sound like your son would benefit from it.
Even if they do cover it, you still want the OT to "train" you and give suggestions for home. Her magical 60 minutes a week or whatever wont' do as much as you incorporating it into routines!

Re: Medicaid- Sometimes they do. Do research. Call your plan and ask what they cover, if they need an rx (probably) and where they cover through. Where I live the local childrens' hospital take medicaid. I have no idea where you are.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:

I am not an OT but I have similar experiences with sensory issues and after reading this post I feel that there is nothing left for me to say. This covers it.

- Yes needs help
- Unlikely to outgrow
- dealing with it now is likely to be beneficial
- if you can't get help now and he's functioning fine then no pressure, you can always go back to the idea later if needed
- Self-help is also a possibility, such as having an OT set up a plan or, not as professional but still possibly helpful, some good books about this. The Out of Sync child is classic but I don't know if anything new and noteworthy has emerged since then. It's been around a looooong time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics