Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I switch jobs? I could really use your input please

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:06 pm
I have had 3 jobs in the last 20 years. Each job was the first interview I went on and I stayed with that job until I moved.
Now I'm in my 3rd job. I work so hard in a very high stress, low paying field. I'm not sure that anywhere else in my field will pay better.
So let's assume money will stay the same.
Is it worth leaving the high status, and thus high stress job? I work 5 minutes away from my home, and I absolutely love and cherish my coworkers.
But, I've started to get depressed every Sat. night thinking about going back to work the next day. The stress is known to be a huge burnout factor in this particular job, and I don't want to get to that point.
I could do something else in my field-- less status but also less stress.
I guess my question, for those who have switched jobs-- is did you regret it in the long run? Did you start missing the status and thinking it wasn't as stressful as it really was?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:19 pm
Nowadays people switch jobs like they switch shoes. Don't left fear of the unknown hold you back.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:20 pm
following

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:44 pm
Are you thinking about switching fields completely? Or staying in the same field but a different position?

First, would it be possible to simply cut hours or delegate tasks... Hire an assistant

I'm not totally clear what exactly your aim is?

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:55 pm
If you haven't done so recently, it's very worthwhile to read (or reread) What Color is your Parachute.

The first step is often figuring out what you want, rather than choosing between what you are finding that you don't really want, and total uncertainty.

After a lifetime of taking the first thing that comes along, you now can give due consideration to what you yourself would most like, and then to think about how you can work to make it happen.

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:58 pm
singleagain wrote:
Are you thinking about switching fields completely? Or staying in the same field but a different position?

First, would it be possible to simply cut hours or delegate tasks... Hire an assistant

I'm not totally clear what exactly your aim is?

Thanks for taking the time to help me solidfy my question. My job is tremendously stressful bcz. of the work I do. I literally make life altering decisions for other people. And I deal with the saddest and sickest cases. I am in social services.
I can't see switching fields. But there are so many options for someone with my degree. Again, not money wise, which stinks, but more supportive services as opposed to dealing with "putting out fires".
On the other hand, my level of responsibilty is a status symbol, in a field where money certainly isn't. Will I regret giving that up?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:01 pm
I would switch jobs. if you can get another less stressful job for the same pay, why not make your life easier? also another question,,do you think the lower status will really upset you in the future? some ppl can't handle lower status jobs because of their ego. you need to be really honest with yourself.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:03 pm
How is the stress manifesting? Is it affecting your health, relationships, or family life? If yes, then I think it's time to switch, if not, then there is more to consider. I was in a job that I really didn't enjoy and had lots of nausea/vomiting. Only when I left the job did that problem go away. It was definitely worth it! My health is more important than a good salary.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:14 pm
I just switched jobs to a very different field within my profession. So far I'm really glad I did. There are some things I don't like--working more days a week, more total hours, less pay and benefits but I gained other things--what seems to be a super nice work environment, less stress, less politics, no commute. I'm only one day in but so far feel a lot better about my situation. It's hard to take the plunge but if you're depressed it may just be worth it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:29 pm
I switched jobs within my field, from something with high status to something with low status. I never regretted it. My quality of life is so much better. My stress level is so much better. I am so much better.

heidi

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 1:08 am
Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to answer.
The answer to all your questions is yes. The job makes me anxious and short tempered at home. I get depressed when I know I will be on call. I don't get reimbursed for driving to work appointments and meetings.
Thanks for the encouragement. I will send out some resumes and see what happens.

rachel6543

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 1:18 am
In my opinion yes, it's definitely worth it to have a less stressful job.

A few years ago I switched jobs. Same industry, but to something that was way less stressful (although in my case better paying). My quality of life as been so much better with dealing with less stress!! It's not my ideal dream job , but I'm so much happier & healthier in my current work environment and have no plans to leave or change careers anytime soon. I actually thank Hashem every day for my current job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics