Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Leichter shelf?

M0mmy

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 11:14 am
Hi,

I'd like to hang a shelf for my leichter, but was advised not to use a standard hanging shelf which wouldn't secure them very well in case my kids got rowdy and the vibrations shook the room.

Any ideas? The only product I see officially designed for this is The Flip Down (http://www.theflipdown.com/products), but I would rather be choosing from multiple options, instead of getting the only thing on the market (and it's kind of expensive, too).

Any recommendations?

TIA!

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 4:53 pm
that's a weird thing ... another "kosher" money-maker - much like a bug light ... didn't anybody ever hear of fluorescent light bulbs & sun ?!

get your own wood & build a secure shelf with the right brackets for your wall type - it will be supportive

although any flame on a shelf wreaks of fire hazard

devash1

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 4:27 pm
I don't have a recommendation but I have a glass shelf so I don't have to worry about a fire starting on the wood. I think the one I have it's probably nothing special and it had it up for years without a problem.

Yael3

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 7:02 pm
I've always wanted one of those. I've seen beautiful corner ones

cm

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 7:21 pm
I've never heard of this before. In what way is the "flip down" more secure than a regular shelf?

Keeping kids away from lit candles is a challenge, but they would have to be super-rowdy indeed to shake the room enough to tip over a properly installed wall shelf.

M0mmy

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 9:30 pm
Thanks, what I was looking into is a glass shelf, particularly because of the fire hazard with wood. The concern was that it does not have any sort of enclosure to prevent anything from falling off. For example, if things somehow got jostled, they could fall off the edge. Corner shelves might not give enough space to fit to fit them, unless they were up front. So far, though, seems like no one has other ideas...

devash1

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:04 am
I keep mine really high and in the corner of the dining room. I have to stand on a chair to light the candles but in the 10 years that I've had this with kids around I haven't had anything fall off of it at all or a ball hit it.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:45 am
Do you live in an earthquake zone?
If not, I'd be more concerned about sefarim falling from the top shelf than leichter falling from a properly installed shelf.
I have a glass shelf. I keep everything a couple inches away from the edge.
Some of my friends have glass box, like a shelf with glass doors and mirrors on the walls.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics