Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mopping floors- why does mine smell horrible?

esther36

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 4:43 pm
When my cleaning lady is done mopping my floor stinks!! Like dirty feet! What is she doing wrong???

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 4:49 pm
esther36 wrote:
When my cleaning lady is done mopping my floor stinks!! Like dirty feet! What is she doing wrong???

Does she clean the mop?

She must really clean it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 4:50 pm
Your mop might be moldy.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 5:15 pm
throw the mop head in the washer and dryer after each use.

use only good smelling cleansers.

open the windows so it dries quickly.

make sure the floor is as clean as possible before mopping (ie. sweep at least twice, etc.)

jewwoman

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 12:25 pm
get a new mop

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 7:25 pm
Like everyone else stated, get a new mop and make sure it's one that has a removable washable head and machine wash it and allow it to dry properly after each use.
Also make sure your cleaner is using fresh water and a good smelling cleanser like Mr. Clean lemon.

zaq

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 9:50 pm
The mop is probably staying wet too long. Is it being put away ina closet while still damp? It has to be wrung out well and allowed to dry before being put away.

Iamamother2

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 10:22 pm
I had the same issue. You have to teach your cleaning lady how to store your mop. I keep mine upside down so that it could dry properly. If it's kept in the bucket or on the floor it won't dry and will get moldy/musty smell.

zaq

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 10:33 pm
Btw you can get rid of the smell by bleaching the mop head but the smell will return if it's not allowed to dry properly before storage. The smell is caused by growth of micro organisms.

librarygirl

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 11:26 pm
Anyone else thinks lysol smells like urine? But I agree smelly feet smell sounds like mildew.

esther36

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:08 pm
Thanks for all ur great advice! But I actually just bought a brand new mop after washing and bleaching my old one and it didn't help! She sweeps thoroughly and changes the water in middle. I'm using Lysol. Could that be it? I'm going nuts!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:11 pm
esther36 wrote:
Thanks for all ur great advice! But I actually just bought a brand new mop after washing and bleaching my old one and it didn't help! She sweeps thoroughly and changes the water in middle. I'm using Lysol. Could that be it? I'm going nuts!

What type of cleaner from the Lysol brand?

cm

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:42 pm
I have always had trouble getting floors really clean with a mop, and I don't think household cleansers smell "clean." I switched to a Shark steamer, and it works beautifully. Highly recommended!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:44 pm
esther36 wrote:

Maybe the bucket is moldy?

esther36

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:49 pm
Gallon of Lysol all purpose cleaner and new bucket too, so that's not moldy either:(

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:50 pm
Might be the Lysol. The only way to know is to try something else. Different things smell different to different people. A certain pricey fragrance smells to some people like roach spray. why shouldn't s disinfectant smell to some like dirty feet?

librarygirl

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 11:13 pm
This was a few years ago, so I don't remember what kind of lysol it was. I just remember being annoyed that the house always smelled like pee when it was just cleaned, till I figured out it was the lysol (at least for me). also, I usually used Mr. Clean, and had just picked up a lysol on sale, so it made sense once I realized. Did you just change cleansers? Did it ever not smell? Definitely worth trying a switch.

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 11:18 pm
Agree with above poster. Op, open the Lysol bottle smell it. See if it's that. I happen to hate Lysol.you sound like me, I'm very sensitive to the right type of small, or I go crazy

esther36

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 12:18 am
I used to use Mr clean! I'll try switching back and see what happens:) thanks everyone!

ROFL

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 12:46 am
I actually use a squeegee in my floor after I wash it. I collect the water with a shmatta and I feel the floor is cleaner. Also maybe store your mop outside instead of in the house ( with the mop part handing free in the wind )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry