Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Best way to take gown for simcha on El Al?

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 6:40 am
Looking for advice and recommendations. The travel advice I read says that it's best to carry on anything that can't be easily replaced, so I want to find a garment bag that will accommodate gowns, and fold to a carry-on size that meets El Al's restrictions. Is such a thing possible?

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 9:16 am
It should be. I have a thin, 1 garment garment bag that folds into thirds for travel. Unfortunately I don't know where the person who gave it to me got it, but look online. Plan b is just to fold it loosely with a lot of tissue paper between the folds and put it in a carryon, by itself so it has plenty of room. It may crease a little but if you hang it up as soon as you arrive you should be ok.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 9:23 am
When we went to my brother's wedding in Israel, my mother insisted that we take what we need for the wedding in carry-on. I took my gown in a clothes bag (it was from Nordstrom, and came with the gown) and just took it on the plane that way. No one said boo. Maybe they're stricter nowadays (this was like 6 years ago).

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 9:46 am
Check with El Al. I think there are actually closets on some planes, most likely in first class. If you ask really nicely they may allow you to hang up a garment bag. You have to be willing to let it out of your sight though.

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 2:48 pm
Thank you. Maybe I am overthinking this.

Deep breaths.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 2:51 pm
Definitely check with the airline first because things have changed just in the last couple of years.
Mazel Tov!

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 2:55 pm
imasinger wrote:
Thank you. Maybe I am overthinking this.

Deep breaths.

Mazel tov. Enjoy the simcha, and your time in Israel.

Was it you who was looking for a dress for DD? Did you find one?

doctorima

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 3:04 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Check with El Al. I think there are actually closets on some planes, most likely in first class. If you ask really nicely they may allow you to hang up a garment bag. You have to be willing to let it out of your sight though.

If you do this, just make sure not to forget it in your excitement to arrive as you exit the plane.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 4:03 pm
I would phone the airline and ask about hanging on the plane.
I'd be nice and friendly, describe my situation, and ask if by any chance there might be a place to hang on the plane.

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 4:18 pm
most airlines have that carry-on closet ... especially good for a gown

so since you're not traveling alone you have extra hands to help fold it over your arm for ease

perhaps put a rubber band or something indicative of the gown to remind you not to forget it

when my sister had to travel with her gown she panicked enough to have it shipped over to the hotel in advance - it might not work for israel

Smile1234

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 1:36 pm
Will you have enough time at your Destination to get it pressed? If yes can u just fold it up and put it in a wheelie? Is it a puffy gown?

Yael3

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 7:05 pm
Can you roll it? It's the best way to keep it crease/wrinkle free.
Mazal Tov

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 8:12 am
My daughter transported her wedding gown from Israel to Boston on the El Al direct flight this pat summer. She called ahead but they just told her to ask the flight attendants. She did that when she boarded the plane and they were extremely excited to help her and hung the bag somewhere in the front of the plane.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 10:04 am
I brought my wedding gown from Israel to america when I got married 12 years ago. I had it in its garment bag. Didnt call before or anything. When I got to the plane I asked if there was extra hanging room in their closets and that was that.
Im sure its done all of the time.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 12:10 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I brought my wedding gown from Israel to america when I got married 12 years ago. I had it in its garment bag. Didnt call before or anything. When I got to the plane I asked if there was extra hanging room in their closets and that was that.
Im sure its done all of the time.

Mine flew the opposite route, 25 years ago, on ElAl.
My dress was 'stuffed' to keep its shape and was thus extremely bulky. One flight attendant actually called it a מפלצת. It didn't fit in the closet so believe it or not, my gown flew to Israel in the cockpit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics