Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean a leather couch?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 5:03 pm
I see that there have been some posts on this subject but I'm confused. I used baby wipes on our dark leather couches and there is black dirt coming off! I am grossed out and want to know if it's ok to keep using the wipes? They are alcohol free but I'm still concerned. If not wipes, then what actually works to CLEAN the couch- not just make it LOOK good?

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 5:48 pm
Are you sure it's dirt that's coming off? You could be removing the finish with wipes that aren't meant for leather.

thanks

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 6:23 pm
For best results, use water only. I have my leather couch for 20 years.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 6:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Are you sure it's dirt that's coming off? You could be removing the finish with wipes that aren't meant for leather.

This
My entire couch is peeled because I kept thinking it was dirty while I was actually peeling off the finish.

I recently got a new couch and was told not to use any alcohol based cleansers. Water is best.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:04 pm
But understand that when people say to clean the couch with water, they do not mean do a sponja job. They mean use about a spit worth of water on a cloth so that the cloth is not even really damp, more like not none dry, so that dust sticks to it And wipe with a dry cloth afterwards to remove any remaining moisture.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:25 am
Thanks ladies.
As mentioned, the wipes are alcohol free. The couches are 7 years old and really do seem dirty. The 'dirt' does not come off in all areas- but specifically in the sections that are exposed and used, which makes me think it's really dirt.

Water doesn't seem to be enough to really clean them....confused.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:43 am
ra_mom wrote:

When I wipe with just water- the dirt is also coming off. Is the finish the same color as the couch? This stuff is brown but my couch is blue.

thanks

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:07 am
Water is enough to clean a leather couch. I use a towel, and sometimes scrub hard to get any dirt off.

From your description, I cannot tell if it is dirt or the finish that is coming off. Also, many couches are only leather where you sit. Since leather is organic, it would behave differently than synthetic material. The dye oo finish may be coming off the leather, but not the other material.

I have my couch for 20 years, and my kids don't let me get rid of it! It's in great condition, but a little too big for the room it's in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry