Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Edison

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 1:00 pm
I know there are several threads on the topic but I am looking for current info about Edison.
What crowd is it?
Is there a New York element re: fashion, food, city life there at all or will someone from NY feel like it is "out of towny" or boring
What are the closest cities nearby
How is the commute to NYC midtown area
What can one expect to get house wise for 500-630k range

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 10:16 pm
there is both a more yeshivish crowd, and a MO crowd there. the different types get along well though. I would say yes, it is quite out-of-towny. I don't know of a 'city life' element.

commute to midtown should be about an hour, I think. there are academy busses that go from new brunswick, and NJ transit trains (northeast corridor line) that leave from bot new brunswick and edison train stations.

check zillow.com to see the housing availability and pricing.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:16 pm
Thanks. Anyone else have any info?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 10:37 pm
I live in edison you can ask me anything

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
I live in edison you can ask me anything

Can you answer all of the questions I asked in the first post? Also curious to know if you get the feeling that more young couples are moving in- is it a growing community?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:20 am
I grew up there. you'll definitely find your new yorky people but in general its more out of town. but you can dress how you want to there's no "rules"

amother
Red

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:15 pm
In terms of a "New York element": Yes we have a few small, simple restaurants, a clothing store, a Judaica store.... but just the basics. People don't seem to be so into materialism here. Around town you will find a lot of women with snoods, hats, mitpachot, shaitel falls, and hair uncovered. People are very warm and accepting. I don't know what you mean by "city life". We have shiurim and guest lectures every once in a while as well as wig/ hair accessory shows.... From what I've seen, most women work and are pretty busy-I don't think people find it "boring" here. If you are looking for more "excitement" and more Jewish resources you can go to Lakewood (45-60 min away). Its about an hour from Teaneck, 40 min from Passaic, 20 min from Manalapan. I cant tell you about the commute or real estate.

And yes, a lot of young couples are moving in. I've been seeing a lot more newly weds as well as families with a few little kids moving in. They have a women's melave malka twice a year to meet new people. About 90% of the people I met had moved in within the past 2 years.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:56 pm
Thanks for the detailed information. How many kids are in each grade/class at shaarei zion? Where are most of the new families coming from?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the detailed information. How many kids are in each grade/class at shaarei zion? Where are most of the new families coming from?

I cant answer about class size- but you can prob call them to ask. I've been seeing a nice number of Brooklyn and Queens....

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 3:39 pm
Class sizes are prob around 20 students give or take a few more/less depending on the year, but more likely a few more as of the past couple years.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 3:57 pm
I think younger classes might be a little bigger than older classes at shaarei tzion - like more like mid-20s.

There are different areas in Edison/Highland Park, so might be worth it to spend some time around to get a feel of where you'd want to live.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 3:58 pm
Also, be aware of taxes when looking to buy a house - it adds a lot to monthly mortgage payment.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 4:24 pm
How many classes per grade? (Trying to figure out how big community is)

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 4:24 pm
Also can someone describe all the shuls

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 4:29 pm
Another poster here:

We currently live in a "real" out of town community and for various reasons we may need to move. Edison may be a good fit for us. How easy is it for young families with no connections to make friends?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 5:06 pm
One class per grade. There is a boys and girls division . there is another, more modern school as well. In YST the mothers pretty much all cover their hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating