Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Roasting whole chicken vs pieces

EmpireState

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:18 pm
Does anyone know why (most) recipes for roasted chicken call for a whole chicken instead of already cut up chicken ? I know that whole chicken is probably cheaper per pound, but I can't imagine that this is the reason. I already roast the pieces so I know it can be done. Just curious if I'm missing something.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:27 pm
I like to bake both, depending on my mood and on the way I enjoy that particular recipe. So I get it. Some of my recipes I make only whole and some only cut.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:30 pm
A whole roasted chicken is often tastier and looks better than cup up pieces

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:09 pm
It tastes better when you cook it whole. Try it both ways and you'll see. The top and bottom flavor each other.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:43 pm
A whole chicken looks more impressive. I feel fancier when I roast a whole chicken.

EmpireState

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 5:34 pm
Op here. So I have done it both days. I roasted a whole chicken last week and I thought its taste was inferior to that of the usual cut up one. Maybe it was that particular one.
It's funny that some of you mention presentation value. I actually find the sight of a whole chicken a bit unsettling. It looks too similar to the actual bird itself....

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:55 pm
In general a whole roasted chicken is cooked with simpler flavorings whereas most of the chicken recipes for pieces seem to have other stuff going on - I.e. more flavors or cooked over a bed of chicken or potatoes or cooked tossed with cherry tomatoes and basil etc.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 11:04 pm
EmpireState wrote:
Op here. So I have done it both days. I roasted a whole chicken last week and I thought its taste was inferior to that of the usual cut up one. Maybe it was that particular one.
It's funny that some of you mention presentation value. I actually find the sight of a whole chicken a bit unsettling. It looks too similar to the actual bird itself....

how did you cook it? I find the best way to roast a whole chicken is breast side down. that way the fat from the legs keeps the breast moist and flavorful.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 11:22 pm
I love roasting whole chickens. There's just something very rustic and homey about it. When I was first married I avoided it because I didn't know how to cut it up nicely. It truly looked like a massacre. But I'm practiced now and I absolutely love carving up beautifully roasted chickens.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 1:04 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I love roasting whole chickens. There's just something very rustic and homey about it. When I was first married I avoided it because I didn't know how to cut it up nicely. It truly looked like a massacre. But I'm practiced now and I absolutely love carving up beautifully roasted chickens.

I am a total sucker for whole roasted chicken, it is a shabbos delight. Sometimes I have fun and bone out the chicken while leaving it whole and stuff it. The house always smells better with a chicken in the oven.

Miri7

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 2:55 am
We almost always roast in pieces. My family's favorite is to roast pieces at 450 for about 45-50 min. With just a bit of salt sprinkled on the top. Yum.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 5:24 am
If you don't put anything inside the hollow of a whole chicken, it can very well wind up less flavorful than cut-up pieces. That is because cut-up pieces wind up being exposed on all sides to whatever spice or flavoring you're using. You need to make sure you do the same for a whole chicken. So you have to season the inside of the whole chicken as well as the outside. I always make sure to put something inside the hollow, such as cloves of garlic and/or an apple, cored and quartered. I also like putting garlic cloves and fresh basil leaves between the skin of the chicken and the chicken itself -- it tastes divine -- and I find that works better with a whole chicken than with cut-up pieces.

As to breast-side up or breast-side down, I do it both ways. I start out with the chicken kicking its legs up in the air, and then midway through, I turn the whole chicken around.

I have never learned to carve a chicken! I wish I did know. All I know how to do is to cut it up into quarters or eighths. How do you carve?

EmpireState

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:14 am
mummiedearest wrote:
how did you cook it? I find the best way to roast a whole chicken is breast side down. that way the fat from the legs keeps the breast moist and flavorful.

I cook it breast side up. If you cook it with that side down, how does the top brown?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 11:23 am
Nothing like a whole roasted chicken. The trick is to keep it sufficiently moist with whatever dressing is used, and not overbaking.

I make a rub of spices (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, some black pepper, parsley flakes, etc...) with a little bit of oil, and rub that all over the chicken, inside and out and under the skin. I then bake it uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours (time can vary according to your oven) and every so often during baking I baste it with the juices. I find the chicken is done at about the point where it releases a whole bunch of juice into the pan - there is suddenly more liquid. It makes a great gravy.

Also important to keep the chicken covered once it's done and out of the oven - some loosely wrapped foil does the trick.

Yum...nothing like freshly roasted chicken breast, carved into thin slices and dunked gravy.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 2:58 pm
EmpireState wrote:
I cook it breast side up. If you cook it with that side down, how does the top brown?

you can flip it a few minutes before it's done if you want the top brown. I coat it with a spice rub and don't bother flipping it.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 3:01 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I have never learned to carve a chicken! I wish I did know. All I know how to do is to cut it up into quarters or eighths. How do you carve?

There are plenty of Youtubes, watch a few and give it a try.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey