Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Frum-but public school???
Previous  1  2  3  4

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 11:06 am
andrea levy wrote:
Oath of my children went to public high school after Jewish day school for various reasons. One has special needs and the other would have had to have her school day start at 5:45 and end at 7 because no Jewish hs here. Travel up to 4 hours per day. Plus, she would not be well supervised in the other city.

Almost all the girls who go to Jewish high school in the other city have boyfriends and party. My public school kid I always know where she is and who she is with. Mostly it's actually school related activity. She is a high honours strudent doing her international baccalaureate certificate. She is involved with a school athletic team as well as school theatre.

In her academic programme there are mostly Asians and Muslims. All of whom have pushy parents who want their kids getting 100 %. Good companions for her, who wants to get 100%. Also Muslim girls are more modest than she is. Also no boyfriends. It's awesome.

This morning we found out that she was admitted to the university of Waterloo aka MIT North into a programme which admits 50 from wAterloo and 50 from Wilfred Laurier. She only applied to Waterloo. I'm sure there were hundreds of applications. Her 96 %+ average plus her amazing extra curriculars did their jobs.

I'm not sorry. Not even a little, that she didn't go to Jewish girl school.

Congratulations!

I did the IB Program as well Very Happy

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 11:08 am
No bullying in public school? All the suicides and crazy internet bullying takes place in public schools...

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 11:30 am
The problem with sending frum kids to public school is that I think it puts them in a very difficult position. They are going to be outsiders and left out of so many activities that take place on shabbos, can't share food with their friends. I just think that would be very hard on kids and would certainly get harder as they get older (middle school and up).

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 11:58 am
amother wrote:
No bullying in public school? All the suicides and crazy internet bullying takes place in public schools...

Many Imas post here about the bullying their children face in school and the religious schools lack of addressing the issue. Let's face it Jewish religious schools know they aren't going to get sued by a parent if these issues aren't addressed.

It is a long and rigorous process for a Jewish family to find the right district and school for their children. I don't live in a metro area by choice. I live in a very diverse community that is proud of it's lack of othering. This wasn't a flippant decision, and I doubt that for other Jewish mother's sending their kids to PS isn't flippant either.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 12:01 pm
I really don't understand what a "better education" via public school would mean? They are reading Dostoyevsky and in higher level post calculus? What is the real education of a Torah Jew? It's having yiras shamayim, avodas Hashem, ahavas Yisroel. Public school...stam...is a relentless assault of inappropriate s-xuality, having homosexuality agressively marketed, as well as transgender now, drug use is normal for a large majority of kids, especially in states that have legalized it, smoking, vaping..... anti -Gd mentality of MOST of the teachers, and I could go on....I've worked in many public schools, in fly-over states, where they are "better" and it's still wildly inappropriate for a frum Yid.

While of course, there can be exceptions (as with anything), you are kidding yourself if you think yeshiva and ps are comparable in ANY way. That is ludicrous. And not least of all (probably most important), it is almost impossible to come out the other end of a ps and still be frum. Kids have a strong yetzer hara (don't we all), so why subject them to such nisyanos that they can't handle???

I'm not judging, but clearly the difference is stark. May you have the clarity, along with the guidance of a competent Rav to help.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not judging, but clearly the difference is stark. May you have the clarity, along with the guidance of a competent Rav to help.

And what makes you think that those of us who have chosen PS vs religious schools have done so without consulting our Ravs?

sourstix

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 1:28 pm
I love to see here evbody say, we all want a good Jewish education but it's not always possible and the circumstance don't always allow it. Hopefully wherever you send your children's they should be a source of nachas to us as parents. Have a peaceful and wonderful shabbos and a freilichen Purim. To those who don't know yidish, it means joyous.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:01 pm
Interesting topic. This is one topic that has been in my mind ever since I was having kids. I was born and raised in Israel. I moved to the US when I was 16. My parents didn't have jobs yet and they were looking at some yeshivas, but they didn't like what they saw. In the end, they sent me to a public high school. I was scared in the beginning because it was a new country/language and a totally different school for me. However, I got used to it quickly. We also lived in a large mixed religious jewish area. I had some jewish friends at the public school and some asian friends. Some of my jewish friends were also modern orthodox. I was a "good" girl and knew not to eat from the cafeteria. My non-jewish friends knew I couldn't go out on Saturdays. I basically did well in a public school and went straight to college. I know some friends from this public school that became a dentist and a lawyer and both of them are still orthodox and married.

Now that I have kids & still live in the US, I'm actually not sending them to a public school. They're still young (kindergarten and Pre-K) so we just started paying those high yeshiva tuitions. I did think about public schools for them SEVERAL times especially since tuition is crazy (in Israel my parents didn't have to pay for school). But also because I hear that many yeshivas don't teach secular studies as well as public schools. So far, I'm ok with the yeshiva they're going to. But I'm still not 100% sure if they're learning secular studies as much as public schools. I have a feeling they're a little behind because the school also has to teach religious studies. My husband was against sending them to a yeshiva because he says it's a waste of money and they won't learn as much. He has a friend that went to a yeshiva and is now secular.

I know my kids could get a very good secular education at a good public school, but they're so young and they're still learning just about kashrut, they don't know much. I went to a public school when I was in high school and I already knew a lot because I first studied in Israel. My thought is to first have young kids go to a yeshiva and then see where it goes. I told my husband that later on, if we're not satisfied with yeshiva, we can try public school... but then the kids would need private tutors for judaic studies. So that's my situation right now. Good luck to you! If you feel strongly about public school and find a good one for your kids, then go for it.

esuss

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:22 pm
Depending on where you live there are some yeshivos that have an excellent secular education on par with public schools. Check out modern orthodox/ litvishe day schools in your area.
My boys go to a regular litvishe yeshiva. They take standardized tests every year. They score at a significantly higher grade level than same age kids going to public school in all subjects. My oldest son who is now in high school is on track of getting the same high school diploma that public school kids get and will be able to get into any advanced school that he chooses.
I went to typical Bais yaakovs. I then went on to a medical career. I was in a Manhattan school with all public school graduates. I had an easier time than other students keeping up with coursework. dual curriculum in high school helped me.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics