Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Blizzard Warning in Tri-state area

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:27 am
How are you preparing for approx 2 feet of snow? Kids home, possible power outages?

At wits end

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:37 am
amother wrote:

At wits end

above is how I'm preparing...

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
How are you preparing for approx 2 feet of snow? Kids home, possible power outages?

At wits end

Am I missing something? How do people "prepare"? I'm assuming we buy food and salt. What else?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:43 am
I'm baking 5 lbs challah, most of them to be given away, being that it's so close to Pesach.
This is my preparation, other than making sure I have a shovel Smile

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:57 am
Obviously make sure you have essentials (food, water, flashlights, batteries, salt). Personally, I think stocking up on wine is in order too ;-)

But it sounds like you also want to know what you're going to do with all the kids home. When you go to the supermarket to get what you need, buy some hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. Lay out everyone's winter gear tonight so you can easily get ready for some snow play. Get ahold of movies you think your kids would like and power up all your devices- if the power holds, great, if not, you'll still be able to get some use out of them. Get some good books. If the power goes, reading with flashlights is fun.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 12:02 pm
It's always so funny to me when the grocery stores are mad packed the day before a snowstorm like no one has ANY milk or bread or staples in the house.

I usually get a movie or two from redbox, and maybe some stickers or new play do toys to keep the kids busy, and some foods that I don't always have but it's nice to have in a snowstorm- soup ingredients, hot cocoa, etc.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
above is how I'm preparing...
op here
yeah, me too.

In addition to making my weekly grocery order today, buying batteries for our flashlights, filling up both cars with gas (in case we don't have electricity we'll use the car for charging cell phones), charging computer, cell phone. Checked our candles supply, doing laundry, preparing shovels and sleds at the door, buying wood for our outdoor fireplace, and davening for an uneventful day.

lfab

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 12:06 pm
Since I usually do my weekly grocery run on Tuesday evening I did it today instead. Other than that I'm not really doing anything special to prepare. We already have shovels, salt for the walkway, both cars have at least half a tank of gas.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 1:04 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
It's always so funny to me when the grocery stores are mad packed the day before a snowstorm like no one has ANY milk or bread or staples in the

Yes! And even if it snows a lot within a day or two we'll all be back to the same supermarket!

mfb

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:09 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
It's always so funny to me when the grocery stores are mad packed the day before a snowstorm like no one has ANY milk or bread or staples in the house.

I usually get a movie or two from redbox, and maybe some stickers or new play do toys to keep the kids busy, and some foods that I don't always have but it's nice to have in a snowstorm- soup ingredients, hot cocoa, etc.

Just like you're going to buy a few extra items from the grocery, so is everyone else. And that's why the store is packed.
Also I need extra of staple items since all my kids usually eat lunch in school and now they will probably be home for lunch for the next day or 2 and also more hungry than usual since they will play outdoors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics