Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Do you want pics of women in the frum magazines?
1  2  3  Next

If frum magazines include pictures of women?
I already subscribe and will keep my subscription  
 45%  [ 75 ]
I already subscribe and will cancel my subscription  
 5%  [ 9 ]
I do not subscribe and will start subscribing  
 9%  [ 15 ]
I buy occassionally and will continue to buy  
 24%  [ 41 ]
I buy occassionally and will stop buying  
 3%  [ 6 ]
I never buy but willl start buying occassionally  
 11%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 165

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:06 pm
What would you do if frum magazines included pictures of women?

Debbie

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:13 pm
I would do exactly what I already do which is by them if the contents appeal to me.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 6:06 pm
You didn't have the option of getting the magazine after my neighbor is done reading.

cnc

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 6:23 pm
It depends on what type of pictures they are. If they are pictures like the Instagram that sky linked to, I would not bring them into my house. Forget about the men, these are not the things that I want to expose young impressionable girls to, in a frum magazine.
If it would be little pictures near the author , that wouldn't bother me. Neither would pictures of Reb. Kanieveski or Reb. Jungreis. But then it becomes a slippery slope. Who decides what the cutoff is?
Btw we already had this discussion here.

cnc

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 6:27 pm
I just read the actual petition. My answer is, I would not purchase the Binah either way,because it has no appeal to me . I would continue my subscription to a Mishpacha regardless because it appeals to me. (There's a Rabbinic board and I doubt that they would allow questionable pictures.)

Side note, afaik the Ami has no rabbinic board and lets in whatever they want but they're probably catering to a specific crowd. I don't bring the Ami into my house for many reasons.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 6:51 pm
I get yated & Hamodia. Would cancel if started using pic of women

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:17 pm
I don't have a problem with a pic of Hillery Clinton. I have a problem if it would be a young, attractive woman. It is in my house and my husband doesn't want to see it. He makes me throw out packaging of tights or make up that have women on it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have a problem with a pic of Hillery Clinton. I have a problem if it would be a young, attractive woman. It is in my house and my husband doesn't want to see it. He makes me throw out packaging of tights or make up that have women on it.

I don't think anyone is talking about featuring Ivanka Trump or Mila Kunis, and certainly not something like the pantyhose packaging.
Just a tzanua pic of the women the articles are written about.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:25 pm
The poll here doesn't really mean much because most of the people who would be bothered about aren't on imamother either.

fmt4

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:41 pm
I feel really really bad for women who would not buy a magazine if there was a picture of a woman in it. I can't imagine having so little faith in my husband, or a husband with so little self control. I can't imagine viewing the female form with such fear and disgust. I can't imagine being so brainwashed that I actually become complicit in the effort to demean and erase women, to support the idea that their faces are inherently dangerous to our society.

I am truly sorry for you.

cnc

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:07 pm
fmt4 wrote:
I feel really really bad for women who would not buy a magazine if there was a picture of a woman in it. I can't imagine having so little faith in my husband, or a husband with so little self control. I can't imagine viewing the female form with such fear and disgust. I can't imagine being so brainwashed that I actually become complicit in the effort to demean and erase women, to support the idea that their faces are inherently dangerous to our society.

I am truly sorry for you.

I don't think that's what the issue is.
There is an inyan of shmiras einayim that has nothing to do with how pretty or ugly the woman is and some people are more makpid on it than others.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:21 pm
I don't look at the pictures of reading material...

DrMom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:30 am
Unless the publication in question underwent other content upgrades, I probably wouldn't buy them anyway, since a magazine which even contemplates such a policy is too fanatical for my hashkafa anyway.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:26 am
cnc wrote:
I don't think that's what the issue is.
There is an inyan of shmiras einayim that has nothing to do with how pretty or ugly the woman is and some people are more makpid on it than others.

If it has nothing to do with how pretty or ugly the woman is, why is the past poster OK with a picture of Hillary Clinton but not of Ivanka Trump?
(FTR I think Hillary looks great for her age, but that's not the point).

heidi

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:49 am
amother wrote:

I am so sad for you . How awful to have a husband who gets unreasonably turned on by the anyonymous pantyhose lady.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 7:02 am
my husband doesnt like when I bring The Vogue or similar magazines in to the house . he says it will be to hard for him not to read it as he loves reading. I understand his reasoning so I dont buy them very often. however I would be extremely happy if they started featuring woman in jewish mags especially as these would be fully dressed woman, it would prove that this isnt a male religion. #sometimesafeminist!

sky

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:48 am
heidi wrote:
I am so sad for you . How awful to have a husband who gets unreasonably turned on by the anyonymous pantyhose lady.

Seriously? This is a website for frum women! This women and her husband are keeping the halachos of shemira anayim - he is not looking at a women in pantyhose, most likely half naked, and you are ridiculing her and making fun of her and her husband?

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:57 am
amother wrote:
The poll here doesn't really mean much because most of the people who would be bothered about aren't on imamother either.

Imamother is actually very chassidish in my opinion.

Very few of my friends are on here. They watch movies when they're bored. Or they're simply too busy for this website because they work long hours.

Many chassidish women are stay at home moms and have limited access to other outlets.

Imamother taps into a very right wing audience, I think.

gottago

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
my husband doesnt like when I bring The Vogue or similar magazines in to the house . he says it will be to hard for him not to read it as he loves reading. I understand his reasoning so I dont buy them very often. however I would be extremely happy if they started featuring woman in jewish mags especially as these would be fully dressed woman, it would prove that this isnt a male religion. #sometimesafeminist!

So... did you sign the petition?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:16 am
So it's too hard for him so you don't get to even have reading? Does he dress in your chumros even though as a man his tznius is lighter, just so it's not hard to you in summer to see him ? Let him stay out of your magazines. maybe don't leave them around, but you do you.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics