Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Why doesn't everyone hate changing clocks?
Previous  1  2

WastingTime

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:57 pm
My overweight problem has nothing to do with the clock changes Rolling Eyes

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:59 pm
In the uk they have been talking about having standardised time with Europe for years. Frum people are not pro this measure since it would mean men would be unable to daven shachris before work for much of the year.

Honestly the switch doesn't bother me. My kids adapt pretty quickly to different bedtimes so I am lucky in that respect.

I love having long summer evenings. I love going to the park at 9.30pm and its full of people. Don't love the super long shabbos that much but whatever.

chocolate fondue

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 9:14 am
I hate changing the clocks to the Summer time. I hate Shabbos coming in ridiculously late; and London is no way as bad as Manchester or Leeds. (We bring in Shabbos bizmano.)
We need the winter time to stay as is, for reasons mentioned above; putting the kids on the school bus in the dark and being able to daven before work. But I can't understand why we need to change the clocks for the summer!

daisy

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 9:46 am
I'm another person who hates dst. We're all struggling in my house, and I don't think I ever really adjust. And why March? No one bbqs in March. Wish they would do something about it.

Last edited by daisy on Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

rainbow

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 10:13 am
I wish there was a way to abolish the clock change. My circadian rhythm is in severe distress when the clock is moved forward. It remains in distress until the clock is moved back in the fall.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 10:37 am
rainbow wrote:
I wish there was a way to abolish the clock change. My circadian rhythm is in severe distress when the clock is moved forward. It remains in distress until the clock is moved back in the fall.

Me too! I'm just starting to realize this. I thought all the clock changes bother me but really only the switch forward is what messes me up.

I feel like of all things, time should be the one thing we don't mess with. Time should be sacred. I like the idea of moving it half hour and keeping it that way forever. I've also seen an idea proposed that would give the US 2 time zones instead of 4, which is pretty smart too.

I guess when I meant "everyone" I didn't mean only the common people. I meant politicians and lawmakers - they're people with families too - doesn't it bother THEM? To me it's obvious that it would bother everyone so why don't we see laws changing this?

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 10:47 am
Its a week of inconvenience for a 1/2 year benefit. I like when it's light out at 7-8pm. I don't like that Daylight savings time was moved to the beginning of March--I find it wrong that its light out at 7pm when there is snow on the ground.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 2:21 pm
I wish we would stay in the winter zone all year!!!!!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 2:26 pm
daisy wrote:
I'm another person who hates dst. We're all struggling in my house, and I don't think I ever really adjust. And why March? No one bbqs in March. Wish they would do something about it.

Yes there are people who BBQ in March, heck some folks BBQ all year round.

I'm a bit off with spring ahead, but truly hated fall behind when I was working. It meant that I got up in the dark and got off work in the dark. It slows me down to the extent that I need to tan and get some rays to avoid SAD.

In the northern latitudes, it means kids don't really get any chances to play outside before dark when sunset it at 4:30pm. Just something to think about.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:20 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I feel like of all things, time should be the one thing we don't mess with. Time should be sacred.

Timezones and standard time are terribly contradictory to the sacredness of time. We ought to go back to using local time and stop messing with time.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 6:47 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Timezones and standard time are terribly contradictory to the sacredness of time. We ought to go back to using local time and stop messing with time.

Local time wouldn't work for the modern world. Standardized times and times zones became very important when it came to railroads and cross country travel.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 5:16 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Local time wouldn't work for the modern world. Standardized times and times zones became very important when it came to railroads and cross country travel.

Computers could adjust for that. Time should be sacred.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics