Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Midreshet tehilla seminary in israel

amother

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:07 am
Hi,

If anyone has any information about this seminary it would be greatly appreciated. My dd wants to go here but I know nothing about it.

November

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 9:36 am
We know a girl who is there this year and loves it. It is on the campus of Neve Yerushalayim in Har Nof. The girl we know is a very good girl. She told us that the rules are not too strict- the girls are allowed smartphones but it doesn't seem that they misuse them. Good luck!

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 9:55 am
It's a seminary for intelligent girls but not Bais Yaakov hashkafa.

sayinghi

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:05 am

Last edited by sayinghi on Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:07 am
Op here,

How does it compare with darchie bina?

Someone told me that this place is referred to as "rehab" meaning they have a lot of addicts there. Is that accurate?

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:07 am
its not bais yaakov hashkafa. They wont push things that most B.Y. type seminaries will preach.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:12 am
From my experience, I think it's mostly very good girls. Do your research

miracleshappen

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 11:47 am
I went to MT 4 years ago. It was the best thing that's ever happened to me. The typical MT girl is very intelliigent, looking for a high level of learning with no fluff. The learning is very philosophical. The girls come from all over, my year it was mostly girls from schools like Bruriah, Manhattan High, and a few out of town BY type schools. We even had quite a few Baalei teshuva from public schools, all amazing girls. That's the beauty of the school- so many different backgrounds and yet they find a way to tailor the learning to everyone. As for the "rehab" claim, nothing could be farther from the truth. Sure there are a few girls who do things they shouldnt, but you get that in every single seminary.

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 1:28 pm
I would definitely check out the financial issues connected with any of the Neve Yerushalayim seminaries. My DDs just got back from visiting friends there, and they were told that a tax lien of some sort has caused major cutbacks this year in meals, etc., and that tuition will be raised significantly next year.

SimchaSays

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 4:31 pm
Its a great seminary. In relation to Darchei Binah it's similar academics and hashkafa, but they don't push anything and are not Bais Yaakov. Very diverse set of girls. A good place for someone looking to find her own way in yiddishkeit. Great staff there to help you and run by amazing heads.

In terms of "rehab", I find it sad that many seminaries get labeled because a few girls went and had issues. Most girls who are going/went are solid. MT is also a more open seminary in that they admit yes everyone has things to deal with. They don't cover it up like many places will and in the long run it makes a healthier environment for those there.

busybee98

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 4:56 pm
I applied to both Midreshet Tehilla and Darchei Binah when I went to seminary. I think they are similiar, like others said, somewhat academic but not BY type. The main difference that I came across is that MT is much smaller-like 30-40 students (at least when I went, might have changed) and Darchei Binah is close to 100 girls. However, they both advertised warm atmospheres, and I did find that in DB. In the end, I met great girls and had an excellent year at DB, but I definitely knew of great girls that went to MT who also told me that they made amazing friends. Hope this helps! Good luck

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
Op here,

How does it compare with darchie bina?

Someone told me that this place is referred to as "rehab" meaning they have a lot of addicts there. Is that accurate?

This is definitely not true. It's possible the person meant another seminary on the Neve campus- there is one that is more like that, but I am not mentioning the name publicly because it's L"H

amother

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 11:52 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,

If anyone has any information about this seminary it would be greatly appreciated. My dd wants to go here but I know nothing about it.

I'm amother on this one b/c of the personal details.

I went to Midreshet Tehillah almost 8 years ago, so my information is older, but I keep in touch with my old teachers and madrichot.

I had the. best. year. of. my. life.
I made good decisions for my future based on what I learned at MT.
I made good decisions regarding my yiddishkeit based on what I learned at MT.

The school is on the Neve Campus and that has it's own positive and negatives. As another poster mentioned there is another school that MT shares a dorm building (but not the same floors) that has more of a reputation as being a school for girls that have experiences that are a bit more "worldly".

MT caters to girls that are highly intellectual and more "BY lite" than BY. After MT my class all went to college. Some girls stayed a shana bet and then went to college, but everyone went to college eventually. Some girls did online college/Thomas Edison, other girls went to Stern and Touro, and other girls got into John Hopkins. B'kitzur I don't think there was anyone that didn't go somewhere. The girls who went my year currently work as nurses, midwives, lawyers, a psychologist, researchers, OTs, teachers, social workers, computer programmers, graphic design and a few girls went on to get MBAs. Most of the girls from my class are currently married. I think there are 2 girls who have husbands in kollel. When I attended a kollel lifestyle was not pushed, and I cannot imagine that that has changed.

The staff are highly educated. It's a running joke that Rabbi Brussels and Rabbi Kagan fight the merits of a Harvard Education vs Yale.

The school philosophy was very laid back. Philosophies and policies were not "crammed" down our throats, and I really, truly, appreciated that. I had a very poor high school as preparation for the real-world experience. Girls were pushed towards being kollel wives or teachers, and it bothered me that my mentors did not share my passion for science and genetics. I always felt like I wanted to go on to study more "secular" subjects, and I often heard how it wasn't "ok" to want to learn something other than Navi or Mesilas Yesharim. On top of that, many of the school teachers had been oft to tell students "You can't ask that question" instead of "I don't know the answer to your question."

I came from a frum household and went to BY schools my entire life. I didn't have a boyfriend, I wore tsnius clothing, and I was what my high school considered a "good girl". But it always secretly bothered me that in high school, those certain questions could never be asked, and that being an intelligent, STEM based girl was not "ok". If you enjoyed arts, there was production and all sorts of choirs and dramas. But if you loved research, you were two steps above being the "class nebech". You ran the risk of ridicule, or of receiving a label that there was a "problem" if you dared to ask about evolution, dinosaurs, or planetary gravity. At MT, it was safe and ok to ask a question, and the responses were fantastic and "real". I didn't arrive at MT with huge questions about my Judaism as much as I had questions about how I could combine the two for the future. I guarantee that had I gone on to college without having my small questions dealt with, and without having seen how being a woman and being an intellectual has a place within frumkeit I wouldn't have been able to handle the dichotomy of the frum lifestyle with the modern world.

One thing I really liked about the school is it was more "OOT". I think there was 1 girl from Brooklyn. There were half a dozen London, Dallas, Baltimore, and Chicago girls. There were a number of girls from Far Rockaway, Queens, and Miami.

The year I went I applied to Darchei Binah and MT. I chose MT because it was a more personal, intimate school. When I was there the school had 48 girls. In comparison, Darchei Binah had over twice that number. I didn't want to get lost in the crowd.

I hope your daughter has an amazing year wherever she chooses.

imato5

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 9:00 am
BUMPING this thread. Can anyone tell me what the seminary is like now?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics