Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO pepper steak recipe with no soy sauce
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 5:23 pm
Anyone know of a pepper steak recipe with no soy sauce?
Maybe with tomato sauce?
And not the one from the BY cookbook with ducksauce.

Thanks!

Odelyah

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:38 pm
Do you like curry? There is a recipe in Spice and Spirit that I used to make that I really liked a lot with curry and wine. If it sounds like something you'd like I can try to post it for you.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:17 am
DH doesn't like curry...
Does it have a strong curry flavor, or can I just hide it and he won't know it's there?

self-actualization

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:29 am
Mine is kind of derived from some old Bobov cookbook (I think).

I sautee onions in oil and then add thinly sliced pepper steak. I also add a green pepper and salt &pepper. I open a small can of Hunts tomato sauce and pour it in after everything has had a chance to sautee. I also drizzle a bunch of honey on the combination because my husband likes everything sweet. Then I add in grape tomatoes cut in half. I usually serve this over white rice but on Pesach I use mashed potatoes.

tweety1

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:04 am
I do very simple. Slice onion in rings. Saute with garlic. Add steak. Sprinkle salt. Add a little water and cook for a few hrs making sure theres always a bit of liquid. Delicious!!

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:13 am
allthingsblue wrote:
DH doesn't like curry...
Does it have a strong curry flavor, or can I just hide it and he won't know it's there?

I don't think it has a strong curry flavor-- there isn't that much curry powder in it. I think it's delicious (but your husband might think differently). There are also mushrooms in it. Does he like mushrooms? I think the mushrooms and wine impart more flavor than the curry.

mol

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:18 am
I've made bbq pepper steak from fresh and easy was yum! has 2 tbls soy sauce but you can probably leave it out.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:14 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I don't think it has a strong curry flavor-- there isn't that much curry powder in it. I think it's delicious (but your husband might think differently). There are also mushrooms in it. Does he like mushrooms? I think the mushrooms and wine impart more flavor than the curry.

He loves mushrooms. Can you post the recipe when you have a chance?

And thanks to everyone else who posted recipes- they look delicious, I can't wait to try!

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:58 pm
Here it is! Hope you like it! Smile

Curried Pepper Steak (from Spice and Spirit)

2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsps. oil
2 lbs. shoulder steak, thinly sliced across the grain (I just use packages of pepper steak)
2 green peppers, cut into strips (I usually mix the green with other colors, like red and yellow)
2 onions, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup dry red wine
3/4 tsp. curry powder

In a 10-inch skillet saute 1 clove garlic in oil for 2 mins. Discard. Add meat and brown. Remove meat. Saute peppers, onions and remaining garlic until tender. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook until mushrooms begin to soften.

Add meat and wine. Cover and simmer 30 mins. Stir in curry powder and simmer 20-30 mins, until tender.

Serve over rice.

(Yields 4-6 servings)

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:06 am
self-actualization wrote:
Mine is kind of derived from some old Bobov cookbook (I think).

I sautee onions in oil and then add thinly sliced pepper steak. I also add a green pepper and salt &pepper. I open a small can of Hunts tomato sauce and pour it in after everything has had a chance to sautee. I also drizzle a bunch of honey on the combination because my husband likes everything sweet. Then I add in grape tomatoes cut in half. I usually serve this over white rice but on Pesach I use mashed potatoes.

How long would this need to cook after you have seared the meat?

trixx

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:05 am
This is from binah Magazine
I've made with pepper steak it's amazing
Serve over rice or something to absorb all that sauce

4 slices shoulder steak, cut into 2" pieces (total 2lb)
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 orange pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar (not packed)
2 gloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat the oil in a medium pot over a high flame.
Add the onions and saute until they turn golden and tender (3 to 4 minutes).
Add the diced peppers, stock, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper to the pot and mix to combine.
Add the meat and mix everything well.
Cover the pot and cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Serve over rice or alongside mashed potatoes.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:11 am
Thanks! So does pepper steak = shoulder steak? I have no idea what part of animal it's from but I'm not assuming anything special about the quality because it was pretty cheap. 1 1/2 hours sounds about right though...

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 3:56 am
trixx wrote:
This is from binah Magazine
I've made with pepper steak it's amazing
Serve over rice or something to absorb all that sauce

4 slices shoulder steak, cut into 2" pieces (total 2lb)
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 orange pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar (not packed)
2 gloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat the oil in a medium pot over a high flame.
Add the onions and saute until they turn golden and tender (3 to 4 minutes).
Add the diced peppers, stock, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper to the pot and mix to combine.
Add the meat and mix everything well.
Cover the pot and cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Serve over rice or alongside mashed potatoes.

That looks good except for the amount of balsamic vinegar. I'd reduce it to 2 tablespoons. Balsamic vinegar can be overpowering when you use too much.

trixx

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 8:45 am
seeker wrote:
Thanks! So does pepper steak = shoulder steak? I have no idea what part of animal it's from but I'm not assuming anything special about the quality because it was pretty cheap. 1 1/2 hours sounds about right though...

No idea but I make with pepper Steak

trixx

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 8:47 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
That looks good except for the amount of balsamic vinegar. I'd reduce it to 2 tablespoons. Balsamic vinegar can be overpowering when you use too much.

Nah it all cooks out, nothing overpowering about overall flavor when done

Best part is it looks so fancy (like vs regular chicken for a supper) and tastes so good and is so easy

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:13 am
Baked Pepper Steak

1 onion, sliced
1 pkg. pepper steak (usually about 1 lb. or so)
1 green pepper, cut in strips
1 red pepper, cut in strips
4 oz. canned mushrooms
1/4 c. onion soup mix
2 c. water

Lay onions on bottom of 9x13 pan. Lay meat over onions and place peppers around meat. Drain and reserve liquid from the mushrooms. Pour mushrooms over meat and peppers. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Add water to the reserved mushroom liquid to make 2 c. Pour water over meat/pepper mixture and cover. Bake at 350 for 2 1/2-3 hours.

-------------

When I make it I leave out the pepper due to family that doesn't like cooked pepper but you can add all sorts of veg. - baby corn, carrots, fresh mushrooms, etc. I also don't often use canned mushrooms. I've even made this without the onion soup mix but with good onion powder, and homemade dehydrated onions for punch.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:27 am
trixx wrote:
Nah it all cooks out, nothing overpowering about overall flavor when done

Best part is it looks so fancy (like vs regular chicken for a supper) and tastes so good and is so easy

Thanks! That is good to know. I will try it. (By the way, in my OOT area, pepper steak is very expensive. How much is it in the New York area?)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:29 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Baked Pepper Steak

1 onion, sliced
1 pkg. pepper steak (usually about 1 lb. or so)
1 green pepper, cut in strips
1 red pepper, cut in strips
4 oz. canned mushrooms
1/4 c. onion soup mix
2 c. water

Lay onions on bottom of 9x13 pan. Lay meat over onions and place peppers around meat. Drain and reserve liquid from the mushrooms. Pour mushrooms over meat and peppers. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Add water to the reserved mushroom liquid to make 2 c. Pour water over meat/pepper mixture and cover. Bake at 350 for 2 1/2-3 hours.

-------------

When I make it I leave out the pepper due to family that doesn't like cooked pepper but you can add all sorts of veg. - baby corn, carrots, fresh mushrooms, etc. I also don't often use canned mushrooms. I've even made this without the onion soup mix but with good onion powder, and homemade dehydrated onions for punch.

This looks delicious! I don't use onion soup mix, either, because MSG bothers me, but I have found that I can substitute 1-2 sautéed chopped onions plus a bit of extra salt for the onion soup mix, and that it tastes even better. It just takes longer.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:32 am
Joy, there are definitely ways to compensate for the onion mix. I guess I fall for the "no MSG" line, even though there's autolyzed yeast extract, or whatever.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:19 pm
I don't use onion soup mix but I use equivalent spices - dehydrated onion flakes (if I happen to have them), onion powder, garlic powder, salt, turmeric, and a little dried parsley.

Pepper steak I think is usually expensive but lately it's been on sale in a couple of big Brooklyn stores.

If I don't have balsamic vinegar, should I use red wine vinegar? I also have white vinegar and apple cider vinegar.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics