Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o which frum kids books dont have pics of females??
1  2  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 10:54 am
A few posters wrote on the thread about no pics of females in the magazines that they're also noticing this trend in frum picture books. Can u name some? Or at least name the publishers? I'm curious because it is not something I've noticed at all. (I am not Chassidic nor do I understand Yiddish, I'm assuming you're talking about non Chassidic, English books ?? or am I wrong?)

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:26 am
I actually noticed the opposite. The old דערציילונג פון צדיקים books didn't have images of women, but the contemporary ones absolutely do. Exceptions continue to be parsha books and such, but some of the good ones don't show illustrations of the avos either, so it's not about censorship.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:29 am
youngishbear wrote:
I actually noticed the opposite. The old דערציילונג פון צדיקים books didn't have images of women, but the contemporary ones absolutely do. Exceptions continue to be parsha books and such, but some of the good ones don't show illustrations of the avos either, so it's not about censorship.

You're talking about the blue books? they sure did have images of a women. der bubbe der tzedaikes comes to mind.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:34 am
The yiddish/chassidish books that I own have illustrations of women.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:35 am
Most children's books have drawings, not photos, so the issue may not be as fraught. I think it shouldn't be a problem either way, but I'm not the target crowd for women-free publications. The artscroll children's books draw women.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:40 pm
Last year DH came home with these gorgeous laminated Haggados for Pesach...went thru them and it seems that although we were redeemed by the merit of the women, we were left out of the graphics....no women in any of the pictures. I was totally upset by it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:14 pm
Chayalle - did you contact the publisher to complain??

So all the responders to this post have basically said they haven't really seen it. I'm wondering because... I'm a writer and have had a picture book for kids published and the irony is that they asked if I'd mind if they didn't include a picture of the father & if they could take out that character out of my story (it was fine without him so I agreed)! lol - why? Because in order to accommodate most of their readers they'd have to depict the father as yeshivish... and they didn't want to turn off more modern readers by doing so!

Where are all the people who wrote that frum books these days have no women or girls? Where are you now? please post examples.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:17 pm
We have a very expensive set of books called tell me the story of the parsha. All male illustrations. My 4 year old was so perplexed.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We have a very expensive set of books called tell me the story of the parsha. All male illustrations. My 4 year old was so perplexed.

It seems that more seforim-type books based on parsha, midrash, etc, are less likely to have images of women. But I could be wrong. I stand corrected regarding the blue books I mentioned earlier.

iluvy

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:39 pm
I always get annoyed by the sukkah decorations that show bnei yisrael crossing the yam suf... All men. Not to mention the "והיו עיניך רואות את מוריך". All men. My nephews make adorable collages of tzaddikim with their own faces in the middle, but apparently there is no one great for my daughters to grow up to be like.

juggling

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 4:23 pm
I have a big purple aleph-bet book by feldheim. It's all drawings, and I am pretty sure not a single female.

juggling

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 4:47 pm
I just flipped through the aleph-bet book. There are hundreds of cartoon-people pictured in the book, about 6 of whom are female. Interesting. I wonder the point of that?

Raisin

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 5:34 pm
We have a great book called something like a yiddishe kop. Gorgeous illustrations and in each picture you have to answer questions eg What day of the week is it? Not a single woman. Sad

The Lubavitcher Rebbe was very insistent that girls should be on the cover the Moshiach times. From here: http://www.chabad.org/therebbe.....e.htm

Quote:
The first cover of The Moshiach Times was designed by Adel Bachman. It showed a row of boys and a row of girls holding placards; on each placard was a letter spelling out AHAVAS YISRAEL, meaning “Loving of fellow Jews.” When some of the directors of the organization saw this cover, they were aghast: “How can you have boys and girls on the same cover?” they demanded. “If you look at any of the other religious magazines, nobody has pictures of girls on their covers!”

It was decided to show this cover to the Rebbe and ask his advice. His answer came back quickly, and he saw nothing wrong with the girls on the cover. Instead, he said that the emphasis should be on the mitzvah “Love your fellow Jew as yourself.” And these words were added to the cover in Hebrew and English.

The second issue also had boys and girls on the cover, and the same objections were raised. Again the Rebbe was consulted, and he said the cover was fine.The Rebbe had two comments: that the tzitzis on the boy had to be more clearly drawn, and that there had to be a girl as well

When I first started working on the magazine in 1983, the cover for the Tishrei/September issue proved challenging. The idea was to depict a boy coming home from camp with all his camp equipment and, as he enters his room, he sees waiting for him there all the things he will need for the beginning of the new year: his schoolbooks, a calendar, a shofar, a charity box, and so forth. It was a very detailed sketch.

When we showed it to the Rebbe, he had two comments: that the tzitzis on the boy had to be more clearly drawn, and that there had to be a girl as well.

I said, “I don’t know where a girl can fit in here. What would a girl be doing in a boy’s room? It doesn’t go with the composition.” But the Rebbe insisted, and eventually we figured out how to get her in there. And that’s how it was established that there should be a boy and a girl on every cover.

All the lubavitch published books have plenty of girls and women included. (Hachai and kehos are lubavitch publishing houses)

carrot

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 10:26 pm
"Mitzvah kids" has not a single female. When they want to show a home scene they show the father, for example, giving the kids latkes. Not actually clear to me who all the characters are... Classmates and their teacher? Brothers and their father? Whatever, not a woman or girl to be found.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 10:33 pm
I don't have a lot of the books mentioned here, but I do have 'yiddisher kop' so I went looking through all the pages. Not to be nitpicky... indeed it is 98% male but its not true to say there are NO females at all. There are maybe 6 little girls in total and a kallah (face covered, under the chuppah) on the chasunah page.
I hadn't noticed before. I don't know anything about the publisher and I don't support their decision, but judging from a lot of the questions and the intro about having a gemara mind etc, the book is geared for boys.
When a book is geared for boys and girls and only shows boys, I'd be more concerned. just my humble opinion.
Could apply to some of the other books posted, I don't know.
What a horrifying trend.

pause

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 11:32 pm
iluvy wrote:
I always get annoyed by the sukkah decorations that show bnei yisrael crossing the yam suf... All men. Not to mention the "והיו עיניך רואות את מוריך". All men. My nephews make adorable collages of tzaddikim with their own faces in the middle, but apparently there is no one great for my daughters to grow up to be like.

OT, but I'd have a problem with this too.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:58 am
So I was the poster who brought up the topic of books not showing pictures of females.

Yes, it was the "Yiddisher Kop" book that others mentioned that prompted this.
What do you mean it is geared to boys only? That's even more problematic. So now only boys are smart?
And 6 measly little girls among the entire book. Not even 1 mommy. Seriously??? Maybe they should be banned for promoting gay lifestyles.
The Yiddish series of "Dertzeilung from Tzaddikim" as other have mentioned, have normal pictures, including women and girls and have been around for many years and are a staple in many Chassidish households. This not having female illustrations is a new and worrying trend. We should get this nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand.
If anyone knows the contact info of the publisher of the Yiddisher Kop, I'd really like to reach out to them and respectfully ask for an explanation.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:37 am
amother wrote:
I don't have a lot of the books mentioned here, but I do have 'yiddisher kop' so I went looking through all the pages. Not to be nitpicky... indeed it is 98% male but its not true to say there are NO females at all. There are maybe 6 little girls in total and a kallah (face covered, under the chuppah) on the chasunah page.
I hadn't noticed before. I don't know anything about the publisher and I don't support their decision, but judging from a lot of the questions and the intro about having a gemara mind etc, the book is geared for boys.
When a book is geared for boys and girls and only shows boys, I'd be more concerned. just my humble opinion.
Could apply to some of the other books posted, I don't know.
What a horrifying trend.

My girls enjoyed that book just as much as the boys. Am I doing something wrong??

Its almost worse when there are 3 pictures of girls out of hundreds of boys. So it's not because of frumkiet/tznius but because girls are stupid?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:01 pm
Raisin I have no idea why they would print less pics of girls.
To me its clear that the book is geared for boys (not that girls cant enjoy it too) for all we know maybe there's something similar in the works with questions that girls would know more, (please don't jump down my throat) about things like shopping and cooking and who knows what.
I agree its weird and a little disturbing. I will look in the book later for contact info for the publisher.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:31 pm
Can anyone check if it's a specific illustrator rather than a publishing company?

I wonder if it's just a male artist choosing not to draw women as his own "thing".

Still not okay, but less outrageous than if it's a systemic policy.

The reason I doubt it's a policy is because so many of the modern books, even the ones geared to boys like the unfortunate proliferation of comics, do have drawings of girls.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics