Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you toivel a "Little Dipper"?

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:54 pm
How do you toivel a "Little Dipper" that comes with a crockpot? Do you at all?

-There isn't an insert to remove like in a typical crockpot and it says cannot be immersed in water (since it obviously plugs directly into the wall)
Thanks! Very Happy

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:25 pm
Well how would you clean it after using it?

I don't toivel ceramic but I would toivel the cover if it were glass

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:01 pm
Good question. I didn't think of the cleaning part yet. The cover is plastic not glass or ceramic. Thanks.
This is what the instructions say...

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 3:39 pm
Well then I wouldn't toivel it

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 4:18 pm
Thanks so much for the advice.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 4:54 pm
Stick the whole thing into the Mikva just like you would with a sandwich maker then leave it to dry a few days before you use it.

abaker

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 7:48 pm
Interesting question. I've heard these things do require Tevilla but I haven't dunked anything like that. My crock pot did come with a little dipper but never had a use for it. It seems weird to me to toviel something that will break or become unsafe if immersed. I guess I will ask a rav if the situation arises.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
Stick the whole thing into the Mikva just like you would with a sandwich maker then leave it to dry a few days before you use it.

shock Are you serious? Are you really thinking its ok to submerse an electrical appliance in it's entirety?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 8:10 pm
I was told that you do not have to toivel an appliance that will get ruined.

Maybe My Family

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 8:55 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
shock Are you serious? Are you really thinking its ok to submerse an electrical appliance in it's entirety?

I have done it too ... maybe not in its entirety but almost completely .Most appliances you can dip upside down and stop at the part where the electrical connection is . This way the surfaces that touch the food get wet without submerging the plug . Obviously should it no longer work you void the warantee but as far as safety is concerned to be safe I wait a day or two until it dries and I would only plug it into a gfi outlet that would turn off should there still be any water . I have done it with sandwich makers ..... electrical kettles .... etc....

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 9:18 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

Its not plugged in when toiveling it and you let it dry for 24-48 hours

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 10:29 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

VERY serious!!!
I've done it with sandwich makers, panini makers, waffle makers, George foreman and probably others.
Dip the entire thing plug included waited a couple of days for it to dry before I used it.
I have been doing it for years. And so have many ppl I know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen