Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need strong MO school options OOT

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:49 pm
Okay, we need to start looking for a new community that has MO school options (elem, middle, high school). We need to move out of our small OOT community. It just does not have acceptable education options for us anymore. By the time of our move, my DD will need a HS. So, she will be behind in Limudei Kodesh coming from where we are at now. So clearly, we will need a school to support her needs.

We are pretty open to possibilities. Just not NYC, Brooklyn area. No Monsey, Lakewood or congested Jersey areas.

I think it best the school be on the larger side. We come from a place where there is 8-10 kids per grade and there is just not enough diversity there for us (and the kids enjoy larger size, robust school activities and extra-curricular). Sports is big with my DS.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:10 pm
Chicago.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 1:08 am
Cleveland, Boca, Atlanta.
Can I ask how you can move anywhere? Do​you have jobs? And if you can really move anywhere, why not Israel?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:01 pm
DH and I are both in healthcare. Although we may not always find the "ideal" jobs, they are always out there; some with compromise.

We can't move to Israel because the difference in pay is ridiculous. And I don't speak Hebrew. And my kids, by then, will either be teens or pre-teen and soon to be pre-teen. Not a time I want to uproot them to Israel.

I need more specifics about the high schools. Is there more than one option? How big are the schools? As in what is the average class size?

doctorima

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:06 pm
Boston has Maimonides, which is certainly MO and runs K-12 on a high level, and is in a town known for health care. You may also want to look into options in the Silver Spring area, which would allow you to work in either Baltimore or DC.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:48 pm
Chicago has many hospitals for employment. Ida Crown is the coed highschool and if you want single relations you have Skokie Yeshiva and Hannah Sacks. They are all excellent schools.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:47 pm
Not bashing the poster who suggest this, but I looked up tuition for Maimonides. Holy Cow! $33+ K annually for high school! That is more than mine and my DH's total tuition for 4 yrs of college (back in the day). How do people afford that? We are not Rockefellers here yet we also won't qualify for a reasonable discount either. So is a year at Maimonides worth the price tag?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:55 pm
Don't know how much it is now but the Hebrew Academy in Silver Spring (or whichever DC suburb it's in now) is a great school. I got good help switching in mid-high school with lower limudei kodesh skills.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating