Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Exposure to animals without getting a pet

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:25 pm
One of my kids is on the autism spectrum and he finds a lot of animals very calming (not dogs- he's terrified of dogs- but he likes rabbits and guinea pigs and mice and cats). We can't actually get a pet but I'd like to give him the opportunity to pet and interact with animals sometimes. Any ideas?

esuss

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:34 pm
I don't know where you live but here in Monsey there are a few farms with petting zoos within a short drive. They charge a nominal entrance fee if any at all and you pay for some food to feed them.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:15 pm
I also don't know where you're from but near Lakewood there are Farm clubs from sweet dream farm in the summer for kids to feed and clean animals.
There are quite a few horse back riding stables that offer clubs and horse grooming as well for all levels.
There's Atlantic farms and popcorn Zoo where you can get close to the animals to let and feed...

Batyah85

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:41 pm
Why don't you take him to pet the animals at the local humane society: there are always cats and small animals there (not just dogs). Such a fun activity for kids and free.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:35 am
I take my kids to animal shops, farms... We went to the "shamur" day in a farm, to see the koshering and cows. Some amusement fairs have petting farms.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:05 am
We dog sit in our home through rover or care dot com
It's wonderful!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:29 am
Also near lakewood, next door to popcorn zoo is an animal shelter - you can play with cats in a cute play area or take dogs on a walk.
It can be overwhelmeing because when you get to the dog area they bark very loudly (don't know if this will be scary for your child)
We had a similar shelter near me when I was growing up OOT and we would go chol hamoed to walk dogs.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:38 am
Is there a 4-H club near you? Link: http://4-h.org/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw.....P8HAQ

There's a small one in Baltimore run by a Shomer Shabbos woman.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:06 am
Look into hippotherapy. Some insurance plans even cover it.

esther990

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:38 am
Volunteer at the local humane society.

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:37 pm
The local humane society takes cats to a local (Monsey) chain pet store and the kids can play with the cats on a Sunday.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets