Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Do you give exactly maaser or just tzedakah?
1  2  Next

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:54 pm
this is a spin off from the chines auctions thread , children collecting thread etc... do you figure out a set amount that you give away or do you not give maaser, count tuition as maaser, give more then maaser or any other possibility- not judging, just curious?

I'm just wondering if all this "marketing" actually affects how much people give total because if you are working with a set number it shouldn't affect anything.

cnc

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
this is a spin off from the chines auctions thread , children collecting thread etc... do you figure out a set amount that you give away or do you not give maaser, count tuition as maaser, give more then maaser or any other possibility- not judging, just curious?

I'm just wondering if all this "marketing" actually affects how much people give total because if you are working with a set number it shouldn't affect anything.

It might still affect even if you have a set number- you allocate differently.

Reesa

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:58 pm
we keep exact records to make sure we give at least maaser but we give regular tzedaka above that when we can.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:04 pm
I do not keep track. I just give what I can. I try to think about how happy the people who get it will feel. And I'm sure Hashem will pay me back. So what's difference?

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:21 pm
We keep track, but might give more sometimes. Usually it is pretty exact.

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:30 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I do not keep track. I just give what I can. I try to think about how happy the people who get it will feel. And I'm sure Hashem will pay me back. So what's difference?

I keep track because DH doesn't. We give between 10 and 20 percent. We give because people and organizations have needs; however, I have no belief I get will get back what I give.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:37 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

Very admirable that you feel this way. We live in a time of "Hester panim". Hashem is hidden. I realize this is one of those that we can ""test" hashem, but I don't think the results of giving maaser are so clear.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:51 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

The difference is that many consider tithing to be a mitzvah on its own, separate from freestyle tzedakah. This is probably one of those AYLOR or "depends on your/husband's minhag" situations, just answering to the "what's the difference" part.

For me - I should really ask a rav but because I'm bad about those things, what I've been doing the last several years is that during the year I give what I feel I can when I'm asked or when a cause "speaks" to me, and then sometime in Elul I calculate maaser from my income for that past year, subtract the random tzedakah I already gave, and then give the rest to local causes at that time.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:13 pm
I give maaser plus. But I am very makpid at giving maaser. I usually give it to family. But to a cause that I won't benefit from.

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:
I give maaser plus. But I am very makpid at giving maaser. I usually give it to family. But to a cause that I won't benefit from.

So you wouldn't give to your shul or your kids' schools?

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:20 pm
Squishy wrote:
So you wouldn't give to your shul or your kids' schools?
I'm going to guess she means as opposed to a chinese auction or a "free gift with donation"

Optione

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:44 pm
We have a separate masser account, where most of the money goes to family, our shul, etc.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
I keep track because DH doesn't. We give between 10 and 20 percent. We give because people and organizations have needs; however, I have no belief I get will get back what I give.

Well I'm sure I will. Even if I don't see it in this world.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
Very admirable that you feel this way. We live in a time of "Hester panim". Hashem is hidden. I realize this is one of those that we can ""test" hashem, but I don't think the results of giving maaser are so clear.

I'm not testing Hashem. I'm just confident that He will reward me for good and not punish me. So it's a win win.

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:15 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Well I'm sure I will. Even if I don't see it in this world.

I believe Hashem will look favorably upon me for supporting the poor and Jewish institutions, but I don't subscribe to the dollar for dollar with profit plan in this world.

Some people believe every dollar spent for Shabbos, Hashem returns to them, so they don't regulate their spending in accordance with their budget.

Others, or the same folks, belief Hashem will provide parnosa for each child.

IMO, there are enough reasons to give without any expectations in this world of the next.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:18 pm
Squishy wrote:
I believe Hashem will look favorably upon me for supporting the poor and Jewish institutions, but I don't subscribe to the dollar for dollar with profit plan in this world.

Some people believe every dollar spent for Shabbos, Hashem returns to them, so they don't regulate their spending in accordance with their budget.

Others, or the same folks, belief Hashem will provide parnosa for each child.

IMO, there are enough reasons to give without any expectations in this world of the next.

You are taking my comment out of context. Whatever.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:22 pm
Squishy & mommy3b2c it seems like you agree with each other. Hashem rewards those who keep His mitzvos. So why are you being mean to each other?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
Squishy & mommy3b2c it seems like you agree with each other. Hashem rewards those who keep His mitzvos. So why are you being mean to each other?

I wasn't being mean. I hope she wasn't either. Good night. I'm tired.

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:32 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I wasn't being mean. I hope she wasn't either. Good night. I'm tired.

I wasn't be mean either. I was just having a discussion. I am sorry you thought I was picking on you.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:58 pm
When I was single years ago I gave double maaser. Back when I was young and idealistic. When we got married my husband always had one reason or another to obsessively worry about money and wasn't hugely into giving maaser. At this point I'm too burnt out to fight with him about anything so even tho we make ends meet and live decently, I wouldn't even bring up maaser. I give small amounts when I can and just hope tuition is counted because that covers it. It could be if we sat down with a rav he'd say it's ok not to give exact because I think my rav holds that you give what you can within your means, but still I can never get over how not generous my husband is when I was quite the opposite. Sorry, getting carried away.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics