Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Turning over the kitchen

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:26 pm
What Does turning over the kitchen mean?
Is it the cleaning part, the kashering, the covering and lining part, or the unpacking and setting up the dishes part? Or all?

How long does it take you? When people say I'm turning over motzei shabbos what does it refer to?
All the steps for turning over take me 3 days. Is that crazy?

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
What Does turning over the kitchen mean?
Is it the cleaning part, the kashering, the covering and lining part, or the unpacking and setting up the dishes part? Or all?

How long does it take you? When people say I'm turning over motzei shabbos what does it refer to?
All the steps for turning over take me 3 days. Is that crazy?

Turning over basically means converting it into a pesachig kitchen. For me, once everything is already pesachig and all the cabinets I use are emptied of chamatzig stuff, it takes a few hrs to turn over, and then a few more hrs (usually done the next day) of unpacking the pesach dishes etc. But to each there own, it's not a competition who can do what quicker, we each have our own speeds, strengths and chalanges.

cm

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:53 pm
I use that term to mean "all of the above," but I don't do too much unpacking. Fortunately I have room in the kitchen to keep the year-round things in their cabinets, and I take out the cooking utensils as I need them.

I usually do it Sat night/Sunday. Some things take longer if you don't plan in advance - like kashering the sinks which you have to let sit for 24 hours first.

I don't like to drag out the process because I find it very difficult to have a semi-Pesachdik kitchen. I know some people have a portion of the kitchen kashered in advance to cook for the seders, but that really doesn't work for me.

I have gotten more efficient with practice. Also, we use up our chametz over a period of weeks prior, so that makes it a little easier.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:04 pm
It usually means after all the cleaning has already been done. So it would include kashering, lining and setting up the pesach stuff. I just call it kashering.

anonymom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:40 pm
I've been making Pesach many years and also never understood the term. It takes weeks or days to clean then wait 24 hrs then kasher another whole day to cover countertops (taping around the sinks)

pause

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:07 pm
To me "turning over" means kashering and lining.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:45 am
It means converting it to Pesachdik from chometzdik. Maybe we say turning g over because "converting" has negative connotations. Or maybe because we still have venahafoch hu on our minds from Purim. Or maybe because in transition we feel as if everything is upside down/-don't we say the house is upside down when we mean it's a big mess? Or maybe it's a translation from Yiddish

I like the last reason best but my English Yiddish dictionary is too small to help. I'm betting there's a word IberDreyen or something that means to change or to convert.

Actually the Yiddish word for converting is Iberkerung, Iber means over and Keren means to turn, hence a literal translation of Iberkerung would be turning over. Dang I'm good!

yksraya

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:35 am
zaq wrote:
It means converting it to Pesachdik from chometzdik. Maybe we say turning g over because "converting" has negative connotations. Or maybe because we still have venahafoch hu on our minds from Purim. Or maybe because in transition we feel as if everything is upside down/-don't we say the house is upside down when we mean it's a big mess? Or maybe it's a translation from Yiddish

I like the last reason best but my English Yiddish dictionary is too small to help. I'm betting there's a word IberDreyen or something that means to change or to convert.

Actually the Yiddish word for converting is Iberkerung, Iber means over and Keren means to turn, hence a literal translation of Iberkerung would be turning over. Dang I'm good!

I first heard the term turning over here on imamother. In my yiddish speaking home we say kasher and iberdeken (covering).

Iberdreyen would mean turning the kitchen upside down as in making a huge mess. Lol

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:34 pm
yksraya wrote:
I first heard the term turning over here on imamother. In my yiddish speaking home we say kasher and iberdeken (covering).

Iberdreyen would mean turning the kitchen upside down as in making a huge mess. Lol
well, basically that's what happens in my house. Huge mess. shreds of paper, foil, plastic bags, bay leaves that had been scattered to repel bugs,roach traps, chips of paint, yadda all over the floor and where did I leave the scotch tape? Cartons of kitchenware being packed in boxes and transferred to storage, cartons of pesachware moving in the opposite direction, stove grates soaking in ammonia in the bathtub, wads of wet matted steel wool molting and rusting before my very eyes, overflowing trash bins and bags for recycling...it has to get messier and dirtier before it can get cleaner and more tidy. And all this just for the kitchen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics