Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
No Pesach Kitchen and Turn Over Late
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:58 pm
I cook chametz in the living room or other room. I use electric burners, my milchig oven (which is not being used for pesach) a toaster, sandwich toaster, george foreman grill (for sausages, or meat that is not klp).

This year shabbos before pesach will probably be KLP cooked in my pesachdik kitchen perhaps with some KLP chummus, challa, and salads made with unpeeled veggies. (on pesach we peel everything)

I have to turn over early since I am cooking for big crowds.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 2:34 pm
I'll turn over my kitchen motzei Shabbat, and cook on Sunday and Monday.

We don't have a huge crowd. And we prefer fresh food, not things cooked weeks in advance and frozen.

I will, of course, cook chol hamoed. And, if necessary, on the chag itself. I also keep a burner on, and the oven on.

Pesach is only 8 days. I've no need or desire to turn it into a 5-week affair by turning my kitchen over now.

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:55 pm
pause wrote:
So you don't make a bean cholent?

No, not shabbos hagadol

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:59 pm
My mother always turned over bdikas chometz night and cooked on erev yom tov and on yom tov. I plan on turning over Motzai shabbos this year. I will not be home first days buy enjoy making stuff for my mom. I love peach cooking! (Well....any cooking really)

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:16 pm
I don't have a pesach kitchen and we always turn over pretty late - 2-3 days before. I have a big toaster oven in the dining room that I use to heat frozen foods and we get pizza.

We usually host about 30 people for each of the Sedarim. It's a lot of cooking those two days but totally doable. I'm not sure when we will turn over this year with Shabbat falling when it does.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:26 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Greenfire's setting up camp in the living room is a similar approach if you have only one sink.

We are in this situation. First year making Pesach. Where do others in this situation wash dishes? Bathroom? We have no sink in our laundry room.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:27 pm
I dont have a pesach kitchen but I am working at day and at night I have projects from work that have to be done so I can't cook early this year.
However I do clean my freezer early and the top shelves of my fridge are separated for pesach.

But I will return Fri from work and will be cleaning until shabbos starts and on motzei shabbos and sun ill start cooking etc. I will not go to work Mon and ill be falling asleep probably by the seder I dont have enough Tim to do everything without taking from sleeping and we are eating simply.

Wow, to those who host many ppl. I dont know how you manage working full time with little kids...

animeme

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:29 pm
3 days before isn't late. The day before is late. Way more people don't have a pesach kitchen than those who do. In three days, you can do a bulk baking day, a day for meat and chicken and some sides, and erev pesach is whatever is left and seder things.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
We are in this situation. First year making Pesach. Where do others in this situation wash dishes? Bathroom? We have no sink in our laundry room.

Rubber Ducky wrote:
We don't have a Pesach kitchen but we do have 2 sinks. We turn over the fleishik side early and the milchik side late. That way we can still enjoy our chometz! The Shabbos before Pesach we will start the meals with challah at our milchik table and then continue in the dining room.

Greenfire's setting up camp in the living room is a similar approach if you have only one sink.

Greenfire can tell us how she cooks and cleans up, but many people doing this will use disposables as much as possible. And yes, use the bathroom sink.

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 5:40 pm
I do have a pesach kitchen but I start cooking about 3-4 days before. I'm still busy with cleaning the chumatz and a million other errands to do.

So it doesn't necessarily have to do if you have a pesach kitchen. Gasp!

pause

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
Bath tub

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:11 pm
I grew up in a one sink kitchen in a two bedroom apartment. I have good memories from that apartment. We are Chasidish so we don't mish - we make everything from scratch! We cleaned the bedrooms and then the kitchen and cooked in advance and ate in the dining room the chametz.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:42 pm
But amother cornflower, where did you cook/prep/wash dishes for the food you ate in the dining room?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:47 pm
Me four or fourteen. I grew up in a world of apartment dwellers and never heard of a Pesach kitchen till adulthood. My father's mother lived in Europe in a two room house and used to do all her Pesach cooking outdoors on the back porch. That was her "Pesach kitchen." I live in an apt and while we're in transition between chometz and Pesach we set up TV tray tables in our entryway and eat there. The meals are catch as catch can, lots of peanut butter, cheese, canned tuna and so on. Very little cooked food and some takeout if dh decides to go out and treat us. NBD it's only for a few days.

Of course I fantasize about having a Pesach kitchen. Who wouldn't? But a second kitchen is also a second place to clean. My bff gripes about how hard it is to shlep all the provisions downstairs to the Pesach kitchen in her basement and what a nuisance it is to have to clean it after a whole year of not being used. She is totally oblivious to the fact that this is something like complaining to a childless friend about what a mess your kids make of the house. I bite my tongue and make sympathetic noises because that's what friends do.

In any case, turning the kitchen over once is hard enough I'm not about to do it twice. If I have to cook on Pesach , which I will, so be it. Mother and grandmother and all the greats going back to the dawn of time had to, too, and they survived. So will I. And so will you, OP.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:51 pm
pause wrote:
Bath tub
bathroom sink. One dish at a time. Dish drainer on a chair just outside the bathroom door. And we use some disposables too, mainly because the younger generation has such a hard time washing dishes in the tiny bathroom sink.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
My mother always turned over bdikas chometz night and cooked on erev yom tov and on yom tov. I plan on turning over Motzai shabbos this year. I will not be home first days buy enjoy making stuff for my mom. I love peach cooking! (Well....any cooking really)
My mom the same. I can't figure out how she managed. I guess she cooked for every meal and I never noticed.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:00 pm
I have to work erev pesach. We were supposed to have a pesach kitchen this year because our tenants were supposed to move out but looks like they will not be ready by pesach.

we don't use processed food on pesach and meals are extremely simple. No cakes, no fancy desserts. Lots of plain cooked/roasted veggies, fish and chicken.

I'll probably turn over the kitchen Thursday night and cook pesachdik for Shabbos. We also have no kosher bakery here so I'll have to bake a few week's worth of challah next week.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:49 pm
pause wrote:
In a year like this one, if you turn over before Shabbas, how do you do shabbas hagadol? Fully pesach'dig except the challah?
yep. As if the first Seder were on motzaei Shabbat.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 5:16 am
If I had a second kitchen I would just cook and not clean. Good think I don't.

(We eat matza up to bedikas chametz so we can just eat that on shabbos hagadol and have a pesach meal. Its so weird.
If the weather is nice we will eat outside with challah, but can't rely on it this far in advance. )

thanks

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 5:25 am
I used to get really nervous when I heard that others are cooking so far in advance. Now I realize, that what works for me is what counts.

I turn over a few days before. I do some of the cooking on Yom Tov. We even bake cakes as an activity in the afternoon on yomtov. I bought a hand beater, and my kids love beating up the egg whites with it. It's so much fun. We bake as much as we need, so we don't have too much left over.

Some mornings I put up a soup before I go to shul. It's a little more work than the women who take theirs out of the freezer, but I don't need to clean the pot twice!

My food is simple, delicious and very fresh. Some years I have more company than others, but I always seem to manage, and not be in the kitchen too much.

(No blitzes, no stuffed cabbage, but does that really matter?)

Last edited by thanks on Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics